Wishing

Changing SSN card to married name?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

*Oh! and also he said they would have "difficulty" putting my status in the computer as I'm technically not a K-1 anymore because I'm no longer a fiance but married (but that the input could be done).

Which knucklehead SSA office told you this?

RM 10211.420 Employment Authorization for Non-immigrants

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420

C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

The following policy applies to employment authorization by class of admission:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list non-immigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

K-1 Fiancé(e) of U.S. citizen

Ask them where it says you aren't eligible as a K-1 due to being married.

As long as your status is not expired or within 14 days of expiring, you are still eligible. Being married has nothing to do with it.

Plus when they try to verify your K-1 status with the married name, if your K-1 status verifies with your maiden name, that is acceptable as being verified.

Plus as someone has already said, SSN cards issued due to legal name changes or to get the restriction off the card, do not count toward the ten lifetime or three per year limit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I also has my SSN prior to getting married because it is much simpler to get a marriage license in NC if you already have an SSN. So my SSN also says "Valid for work with DHS authorization only". I was told the same thing- come back only with both marriage license AND GC. You should have no problem using your SSN with maiden name up until that time because your SS number does not change- only your name. So just use SSN and show a copy of marriage license to indicate name change. The only place that will require both with correct names is most likely DMV office...at least that is the case in North Carolina!

Filed: Timeline

This forum has been very valuable to me as I was thinking about changing my name on ssc tomorrow. I don't think I would bother going there now until I get my ead. And i live in ca,too, like the person who made a post here at first.

Based on your time line I assume your I-94 has expired, so you can't be issued an SSN in your married name based on your K-1 status. However, you can update your SSN record with your married name.

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

Answer “yes” to the "Suppress card issuance" question on the SSNAP Additional Information screen and record the nonwork reason documentation on the SSNAP Proof of Legal Alien Status screen.

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

Accept a name change document based on marriage, civil union or domestic partnership as evidence of the new name to be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse or partner takes the other parties’ last name;

-- spouse or partner takes one part of the other parties’ compound surname;

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s or partner’s original surname for either or both parties

RM 10212.015 Evidence Requirements to Process a Name Change on the SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212015

D. Evidence of identity

Evidence of identity in the new name to be shown on the SSN card and in the prior name on the latest Numident record must always be established in order to link the new name to the Numident record and to establish that the person applying for the name change and the number holder are the same person.

The name change document can also serve as an acceptable identity document for a name change if:

-- the name change event occurred within the past two years, and

-- the document has the number holder’s prior name and biographical information such as age, date of birth, or parents’ names, which matches the data on the latest Numident record.

If the name change event document does not meet both criteria the applicant must submit an identity document in addition to the name change document. The applicant must submit either:

-- one identity document in the prior name as shown on the latest Numident record. The identity document in the old name is acceptable even if no longer current or is expired. (See exception in RM 10212.015D.1, in this section), or

-- one identity document in the new name (to be shown on SSN card) when the requirements described in RM 10212.020 are met.

NOTE: Use the priority lists of acceptable identity documents when requesting identity documents following RM 10210.405.

EXCEPTION: Accept expired identity documents in the prior name if submitted in connection with a name change.

Once the SSN record is corrected ask for an SSN Verification Printout. Not the same as an SSN card, but will provide some proof of your SSN and the name on the record until you can be issued an SSN card in your married name. Once you have work authorization, you only need to apply for a replacement SSN card, since the SSN record has already been corrected.

Edited by I Quit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.