Wishing

Changing SSN card to married name?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just curious to know if other people have run into this: :P

First off I'm a K1, entered on August 31st, got married September 25th and will be filing my AOS papers next week!

I went to the SSA (Social Security Admin) office today to change my SSN card to my married name (as per the K1 guides here on VJ). I gave my documents/application and the guy (after consulting with a coworker for 5 minutes) told me I should come back to change my name on my SSN card when I have my Green Card. Now NOTE that I am a different situation then most K1's as I already had a Social Security Card when I was working on a TN Visa (last year). Therefore my SSN card says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" across the top. He told me because I will eventually need to have this taken off my card too (when I get my green card) that its better for me to change my name on my SSN card once I have the green card done. This way, there will be one change instead of two changes (and you're only allowed to have 10 total changes in a lifetime on your SSN card including loss etc).

I then asked him won't applying for AOS in my married name cause a problem between USCIS and SSA (Social Security Administration)? He said no its actually better procedure to have my name updated with USCIS first...he said out of state people who have a problem with their card, they send to USCIS first to change their name THEN back to SSA to change their card. Hope this is correct as I'll be sending in my AOS on Monday! :star:

*Oh! and also he said they would have "difficulty" putting my status in the computer as I'm technically not a K1 anymore because I'm no longer a fiance but married (but that the input could be done). And so when I'm a Green card holder it'll be more straight forward...

Edited by Wishing

08/31/2010 POE09/25/2010 Civil WeddingAOS Timeline10/11/2010 AOS Package Sent10/20/2010 NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP11/12/2010 Biometrics Appointment1/4/2011 Received EAD and AP documents!1/11/2011 AOS Interview - APPROVED!!1/15/2011 - Received Approval notice for I-485, Green card on its way!!1/21/2011 - Received Green Card!!Removal of Conditions11/1/2012-Sent Application to California Service Center ..... N-40007/29/2016 - Received date at Phoenix lockbox 8/01/2016 - N-400 NOA<p>xx/xx/xxxx - BiometricsOnto the next step!!

My wife got a SSN in her maiden name with her K1/I94 befoer we were married, so she had a card with "VALID WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION."

Then after we were married she went down to get it in her married name. They turned her away.

I knew this was wrong so we went to a different office and they processed it but they sent it away for manual verification. That was on 9/28. We are still waiting for it in the mail.

At this point we probably won't follow up on it until she has her EAD.

PS She applied for AOS in her married name

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Changes in marital status (so name changes) and changes in your work auth do no count to your 10 total changes thing. Thats if you keep losing it. They should change it then, sometimes they do need to send it away for manual checks if you are not yet in the system, but you can always tell them to wait on processing and go back the next week to see if you are in the system yet, as long as you are not in the last couple weeks of your I-94 being vaild. Also the part about technically not K1 cuz you are married is something they seem to tell people because they are being lazy, you are able to get it changed regardless. Especially in your cases where a number has already been assigned, you just need to change the name, they shouldn't be giving you this run around.

I got my SSN within a week or so of entering the states, also was married in that time and went back once my SSN and marriage cert came in to get them both changed, and they did it with no problems. The people behind the counter didn't ask any questions or anything, just took the form and did it. I still have to go back for my DHS thing to be removed (cuz I'm lazy lol) but yeah, changing your name doesnt count towards the replacement.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

I got my SSN in my maiden name when I first got to the US. I didn't bother going back to the SSA office until after I got my EAD, and applied for AOS in my married name. I figured there was really no reason why I needed to have the name changed until I had my EAD in hand. Until that point, I didn't have any ID in my married name, and I couldn't get a state DL or anything without at least the EAD. It just made sense to me. I also anticipated a problem since my I-94 was only valid for a few more weeks.

But I don't see why they wouldn't change it for you, especially if you're EAD is still valid for another 2 months. He didn't want to do it because it would be easier? Yeah, for him! Sounds like you just got someone who didn't want to do his job.

I've been a PR for almost a year now, and my SSN card still says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization." It's never been an issue. If someone asks, I just show them my GC, which very clearly says it authorizes the card holder to live and work in the US. I'm too lazy and really don't have the time to go down to the SSN office and change it.

Timeline

I got my SSN in my maiden name when I first got to the US. I didn't bother going back to the SSA office until after I got my EAD, and applied for AOS in my married name. I figured there was really no reason why I needed to have the name changed until I had my EAD in hand. Until that point, I didn't have any ID in my married name, and I couldn't get a state DL or anything without at least the EAD. It just made sense to me. I also anticipated a problem since my I-94 was only valid for a few more weeks.

But I don't see why they wouldn't change it for you, especially if you're EAD is still valid for another 2 months. He didn't want to do it because it would be easier? Yeah, for him! Sounds like you just got someone who didn't want to do his job.

I've been a PR for almost a year now, and my SSN card still says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization." It's never been an issue. If someone asks, I just show them my GC, which very clearly says it authorizes the card holder to live and work in the US. I'm too lazy and really don't have the time to go down to the SSN office and change it.

Hi Hugglebuggles,

No I don't have EAD yet, haven't even sent in my AOS/EAD/AP application, I anticipate sending all this in next week. I went to SSA today just to change my name on my SSN card...but after what they told me and what people have said here it simply makes sense to me to wait until I have at least my EAD to change my SSN card, if only simply to save time! I thought it would cause a conflict with USCIS or something if I didn't change my SSN first :bonk: Not sure why I thought that but oh well doesn't seem to be an issue, obviously. So thanks everyone :star:

Edited by Wishing

08/31/2010 POE09/25/2010 Civil WeddingAOS Timeline10/11/2010 AOS Package Sent10/20/2010 NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP11/12/2010 Biometrics Appointment1/4/2011 Received EAD and AP documents!1/11/2011 AOS Interview - APPROVED!!1/15/2011 - Received Approval notice for I-485, Green card on its way!!1/21/2011 - Received Green Card!!Removal of Conditions11/1/2012-Sent Application to California Service Center ..... N-40007/29/2016 - Received date at Phoenix lockbox 8/01/2016 - N-400 NOA<p>xx/xx/xxxx - BiometricsOnto the next step!!

Timeline

Hi Hugglebuggles,

No I don't have EAD yet, haven't even sent in my AOS/EAD/AP application, I anticipate sending all this in next week. I went to SSA today just to change my name on my SSN card...but after what they told me and what people have said here it simply makes sense to me to wait until I have at least my EAD to change my SSN card, if only simply to save time! I thought it would cause a conflict with USCIS or something if I didn't change my SSN first :bonk: Not sure why I thought that but oh well doesn't seem to be an issue, obviously. So thanks everyone :star:

Sorry, that was suposed to say "But I don't see why they wouldn't change it for you, especially if your I-94 is still valid for another 2 months." The whole thing makes a lot more sense that way :lol:

Basically, I think they told you to come back with your EAD because they didn't want to bother going the extra step. But, it's up to you on weather or not you want to wait or try again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Even though the OP already has their answer I'll add my 2 cents.

There was a person I know who tried the same as you (name change on SSN after marriage) but instead was told her change would go through no problem, her I-94 was still valid. They sent it off for manual verification and it was taking FOREVER. It got "stuck" somewhere. During this time she got her EAD and tried to update the system but was told because the change is still pending she needs to wait. I think she has it now but it took several weeks.

I know a few other people that have been stuck in manual verification for ages as well.

Just as the OP has decided, it is better to wait till you get your EAD. There is no "mis-match" on the system if your SSN is in one name and you apply for AOS in the other. You can also just wait till GC if you aren't planning on getting a job that way you can have the name changed AND the "DHS authorisation required" removed at the same time.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

ps, why would you need the married SS card any sooner than the GC?

:star:

So she could get her driver's license, open bank accounts, etc in her married name. I have a stack of forms waiting to be sent in since I don't have any ID for my wife in her married name.

Timeline
So she could get her driver's license, open bank accounts, etc in her married name. I have a stack of forms waiting to be sent in since I don't have any ID for my wife in her married name.

Most states a DL (or state ID) can't be given without an EAD or GC anyway (well they can but only valid till I-94 expires). The bank account doesn't need to match the SSN. My bank account is in my married name (took marriage licence) and my SSN is still in my maiden name (ugh.. getting there has been a pain and now i'm in Aus till Nov). Most everything will be okay as long as you show a marriage cert to show the name change. You never show the SSN card anyway, only the DMV might be an issue as it might try and match on the system...

Most states a DL (or state ID) can't be given without an EAD or GC anyway (well they can but only valid till I-94 expires). The bank account doesn't need to match the SSN. My bank account is in my married name (took marriage licence) and my SSN is still in my maiden name (ugh.. getting there has been a pain and now i'm in Aus till Nov). Most everything will be okay as long as you show a marriage cert to show the name change. You never show the SSN card anyway, only the DMV might be an issue as it might try and match on the system...

She got a DL w/ her I94 and it expires in the normal 3 years. I was expecting it to expire w/ her I94 but I'm not complaining.

Good to know that she could just use the marriage cert to prove her name at banks, I figured they would need a DL.

Timeline
She got a DL w/ her I94 and it expires in the normal 3 years. I was expecting it to expire w/ her I94 but I'm not complaining.

Good to know that she could just use the marriage cert to prove her name at banks, I figured they would need a DL.

I wouldn't complain about the licence either!! Half her luck!!

Banks I've read it depends on the bank but definitely marriage cert was enough for me... oh and I needed an SSN but apparently I should have HAD to have a SSN.

**Edit - I still don't have a US licence. Granted because I a. don't have a vehicle that will pass safety inspection and b. can't stand the drivers learning book... seriously WORST book EVER. No wonder some drivers are just plain awful! It's the most boring manual I've ever read. It's really poorly laid out and I thought the stuff I was supposed to be reading was just standard "intro" bull because no-way a manuals ever that squished together.. i was wrong... piece of ####### boring.. *grumble grumble*. I have a perfect driving record in Aus, wish it just transferred over...

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Yup! Waiting on name change stuff and want to get it out of the way....but really I can do a lot of this with my marriage license this is true. California wants an EAD to get my driver's license anyways... (well technically can do it with my I-94, but the license would expire when my I-94 expires which would leave me in limbo without a DL!).

Thanks for your tips everyone!

Edited by Wishing

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

This forum has been very valuable to me as I was thinking about changing my name on ssc tomorrow. I don't think I would bother going there now until I get my ead. And i live in ca,too, like the person who made a post here at first. Thanks a lot!!

This is not related to ssc, but here are the stuff I have been dealing with in terms of name change and social security number in ca.

-I could not change my name at my bank after my marriage. I opened my account 2 days after I came here so they have my maiden name. A lady there said I need a passport, a driver's license, or ssc with my new name to do so. I think the first id I'm going to have with my new name is passport, but not sure if that one works as it is gonna look like first name(my husband's last name=my new last name)my maiden name (I.e. Hanako (Johnson) Hamada) on my passport from my country.

-and no, I could not get a driver's license. It is very complicated and frustrating as it is really hard to understand when and which visa holder is eligible for processing state id/ driver's license. What i have understood and think through reading DMV website very thoroughly, and researching like a lawyer, k1 visa holder is eligible to do so in 30 days only after the arrival in us as I-94 is the only document with expiration date under the limited term of legal presence in us. I think everything depends on where you live and which visa you are holding, but I would say it's darn hard for k1 visa holder to process a driver's license in ca.

chica

ROC approved in June 2013!!

Adios, USCIS, for next 10 years.....!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.