JohnJ500

H1B help needed

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I am looking for a job in the USA. I have experience in the non-profit sector and a master’s degree. What are my chances of getting an H1B visa, or any other kind of visa to work in the USA, considering the current economic climate and the visa regulations etc? A US immigration lawyer I spoke to told me that I should not rule out job applications if it is doubtful that the employer would sponsor a visa, and instead to tell them I have a lawyer and that I will pay the fees. Is this legal? Realistic?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

John

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

in this economy, any job is difficult to get. To make it worse, you're looking for a job in the US from overseas! Don't count on too much - people see that you're international and assume sponsorship and they don't like that, regardless of if you are paying the fees or not. Feel free to mention it if you can or even in your cover letter.

The economy stinks right now all around, even as a green card holder, I was told to return when I'm a US citzen, people can afford to be picky these days with who they hire

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The employer has to pay the fees.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks for comments. It's all as depressing as I expected. As for "even as a green card holder [i.e. I have paperwork and can legally work with no expense to the employer or additional paperwork]], I was told to return when I'm a US citizen", doesn't this sound like xenophobia / racism? What employer makes those kinds of remarks? Not exactly in tune with the globalised era we're living in (unless defined as free movement of money, restricted movement of people). Sorry for my cynicism.

All the best

Timeline

Thanks for comments. It's all as depressing as I expected. As for "even as a green card holder [i.e. I have paperwork and can legally work with no expense to the employer or additional paperwork]], I was told to return when I'm a US citizen", doesn't this sound like xenophobia / racism? What employer makes those kinds of remarks? Not exactly in tune with the globalised era we're living in (unless defined as free movement of money, restricted movement of people). Sorry for my cynicism.

All the best

They call it patriotism. And in this economy, they see that you are not a US citizen, they assume you need sponsorship which is huge money for the employer.

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

The employer has to pay the fees.
Not if the employee is a Canadian getting a TN-1 for the first time at POE/PFI.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Thanks. I understand your point about sponsorship and expense. But why should it be so expensive? Does it cost UK companies or Canadian companies an equal amount to employ Americans? Genuine question, as I have no idea of the answer but would be very interested to know. And is it patriotism when a US business closes down a factory and puts Americans out of work, and buys from Asia instead, allowing unemployed Americans to buy cheaper goods? That's a rhetorical question. Again, I'm beginning to sound like a huge cynic, but patriotism can easily become a catch-all term to excuse all kinds of things. The truth is, as you said, huge expense for the employer. I don't believe that avoiding a huge cost is some kind of patriotic act. So why do "they" call it patriotism?

However, the question in my last posting was about a permanent resident with work authorisation (therefore no cost to the employer) being turned away and told to come back when they're a citizen. If that's patriotism, then the United States of America, the land of immigrants, the so-called melting pot, would never have got off the ground.

All the best.

They call it patriotism. And in this economy, they see that you are not a US citizen, they assume you need sponsorship which is huge money for the employer.

Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

For a job of the type that would qualify it is not a lot of money.

Less than for example relocation costs.

BUT

In the current climate you probably can avoid both, so why incur the extra expense?

PS With a few exceptions you can not discriminate and require US Citizenship.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Not if the employee is a Canadian getting a TN-1 for the first time at POE/PFI.

The OP is not asking about a TN, he's asking about an H1B in which the employer must pay the fees

but yes, there is no cost to an employer to hire a canadian and have the Canadian apply for the TN visa at the POE

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I am looking for a job in the USA. I have experience in the non-profit sector and a master's degree. What are my chances of getting an H1B visa, or any other kind of visa to work in the USA, considering the current economic climate and the visa regulations etc? A US immigration lawyer I spoke to told me that I should not rule out job applications if it is doubtful that the employer would sponsor a visa, and instead to tell them I have a lawyer and that I will pay the fees. Is this legal? Realistic?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

John

Working in HR, I can honestly say we are flooded with qualified U.S. citizen resumes to the point it is overwhelming so when a resume from someone out of the country comes across our desk, we really have no need to sponsor anyone. If there are qualified citizens, they are given first priority. With the current economy the way it is, we have everyone including doctorate level individuals applying. I say this to say that it is very tough to get sponsorship in certain fields these days unless you have expertise in a hard to fill position. Wishing you all the best in your job search.

07/02/10-K1 Mailed

07/06/10-CSC Received

07/12/10-NOA1 Issued

07/14/10-Touched

07/15/10-Check Cleared

07/16/10-NOA1 Hardcopy

07/21/10-Touched

11/19/10-Touched

11/20/10-Touched

11/22/10-Touched

• 2 weeks later...

Working in HR, I can honestly say we are flooded with qualified U.S. citizen resumes to the point it is overwhelming so when a resume from someone out of the country comes across our desk, we really have no need to sponsor anyone. If there are qualified citizens, they are given first priority. With the current economy the way it is, we have everyone including doctorate level individuals applying. I say this to say that it is very tough to get sponsorship in certain fields these days unless you have expertise in a hard to fill position. Wishing you all the best in your job search.

Thanks Candn, I appreciate your comments.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.