C-ma'am

Close to filing. So much to do, so little time

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I was referred to this website by a fellow Argentine and I have to say I'm impressed with all the helpful information collected. Kudos on such detailed work!

I'll soon be the beneficiary of a K1, but since my fiancé (US.Citizen) is currently abroad, and should be back in the US in about a month; I'm trying to do all the research, to see what all we need, just so we can save time.

I have read the step by step guides countless times, and just like many of you, I've reached the point of total confusion, anxiety and stress.

Basic info about us: I am from Argentina, never been married, no children. He's never been married either, has no children and works as a government contractor.

My first confusion comes in when I go to the Travel.State.Gov website with their FAQs. By comparison, the information that should be sent with the I-129F form, is a whole lot less, than what it says here (basically the say you need to send JUST the form). So, is the the I-129F Package described here made so we can save time too?

I have to confess, that the thought of being apart for long, it's already eating me up. Once we file the petition form, could I still go and visit him?

Lastly, I'm looking at the information I should have ready when they call me up for the interview. Where it says "Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for 6 months or more since age 16"

- Are these certificates background checks or the ones certifying where you reside? (Here we can get both)

- I lived in Mexico 12 years ago, for exactly 6 months (I was working there legally). Do I really need to get a certificate from there too?

I'm taking deep breaths and trying not to panic.

I thank you all in advance for the patience and the help.

Cele

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My first confusion comes in when I go to the Travel.State.Gov website with their FAQs. By comparison, the information that should be sent with the I-129F form, is a whole lot less, than what it says here (basically the say you need to send JUST the form). So, is the the I-129F Package described here made so we can save time too?

Follow the VJ Guides to the letter and you'll be fine. Just follow VJ.

I have to confess, that the thought of being apart for long, it's already eating me up. Once we file the petition form, could I still go and visit him?

Maybe, if the Embassy will give you a visa.

Lastly, I'm looking at the information I should have ready when they call me up for the interview. Where it says "Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for 6 months or more since age 16"

- Are these certificates background checks or the ones certifying where you reside? (Here we can get both)

Where you live certs.

- I lived in Mexico 12 years ago, for exactly 6 months (I was working there legally). Do I really need to get a certificate from there too?

Yes

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Thank you for your reply Baron!

I already have a B2 visa that allows me to travel as a tourist. So, as long as I have my visa, even if we haven't completed the K1 process I could go visit for the holidays (for example)?

When it comes to the certificates: Does anyone, who's gone through a situation like mine, have any advice on how to procure those? I really have no clue where I could ask for that information in Mexico.

Thanks again!

Cele

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you for your reply Baron!

I already have a B2 visa that allows me to travel as a tourist. So, as long as I have my visa, even if we haven't completed the K1 process I could go visit for the holidays (for example)?

When it comes to the certificates: Does anyone, who's gone through a situation like mine, have any advice on how to procure those? I really have no clue where I could ask for that information in Mexico.

Thanks again!

Cele

Just understand that once to get to the POE, both the K-1 petition and the B2 visa information MAY be in their computers... Then it is up to the CBP to allow you in or not. It is NOT a sure thing. Just understand that.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Just understand that once to get to the POE, both the K-1 petition and the B2 visa information MAY be in their computers... Then it is up to the CBP to allow you in or not. It is NOT a sure thing. Just understand that.

Ohh ok. Understood. :thumbs:

By the way, I did some more research on the certificates, and I found a document that's contained within our US Embassy in Argentina web site and is says:

In addition, applicants need to present a police clearance certificate from each country in which they have lived outside of Argentina for more than one year since reaching the age of sixteen. For more information on obtaining police certificates from other countries, see:http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm

*Police certificates from countries in which you formerly resided and have not returned to, since the police certificate was issued, are valid indefinitely.

So I suppose I do not have to procure the certs from Mexico after all.

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.