lizaanne

Carrying ID in the US - what do you always carry with you?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I carry my GC most times too. I've never been asked to show it for work authorisation either. Is it really a law to have your A#? Never heard that one before.

FWIW take a copy (front and back) of your GC and keep it safe. Apparently it makes it easier to get a replacement, but that could be heresay...

there's a spot on all new employee forms that asks if you are a citizen and if not, are you legal to work, and if so, what's your A#. The employer is supposed to ask to see it.

Lou Lou, "we" is anybody, citizen or not. We should all carry some form of ID. Whether or not I know a citizen whose been asked for it is irrelevant. There have been green card holders who've been asked and didn't have it with them and they were detained until their status could be proved, despite their protestations that they were legal. I imagine it wouldn't have made much difference if they had completed the citizenship oath, they likely still would have been detained until their status had been proved.

Yeah, its a royal pain in the #######, but this is the way of the world these days.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou Lou, "we" is anybody, citizen or not. We should all carry some form of ID.

Is this a law, or your personal opinion ? And what is "some form of ID" ? Passport ? Driver license ?

I imagine it wouldn't have made much difference if they had completed the citizenship oath, they likely still would have been detained until their status had been proved.

OK... but are you aware of any UCS being detained for not carrying a proof of citizenship ?

My guess is that an LPR simply won't risk answering "I am a citizen", even though the cops would almost certainly let him/her go. It's way too risky.

Bartek

I carry my GC most times too. I've never been asked to show it for work authorisation either. Is it really a law to have your A#? Never heard that one before.

FWIW take a copy (front and back) of your GC and keep it safe. Apparently it makes it easier to get a replacement, but that could be heresay...

there's a spot on all new employee forms that asks if you are a citizen and if not, are you legal to work, and if so, what's your A#. The employer is supposed to ask to see it.

Surely this is some form for large institutions or something? Certainly the places I have worked have not had "new employee" forms or anything of the sort.

Lou Lou, "we" is anybody, citizen or not. We should all carry some form of ID. Whether or not I know a citizen whose been asked for it is irrelevant. There have been green card holders who've been asked and didn't have it with them and they were detained until their status could be proved, despite their protestations that they were legal. I imagine it wouldn't have made much difference if they had completed the citizenship oath, they likely still would have been detained until their status had been proved.

Yeah, its a royal pain in the #######, but this is the way of the world these days.

Now I'm really confused? I didn't ask about all this. Bartek did.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

A cop is not going to stop you and just out of the blue ask for if you are a USC or not. They will within the law for probrable cause, or in the investigation stop you and ask for identification--if you show proper identification, that could be your Green Card, Passport, Voter ID, Driver's License, State issued ID, other Government ID, Student ID, or a Social Security card and a Birth Certificate, or a Notorized sworn affidavit that you are a legal resident or US Citizen. Anyway not likely just show a Driver's license and you are pretty safe they are not going to ask your status.

The only expection to this would be when once in a while they have a task force with ICE where they are running an immigration raid or setting up an immigration checkpoint. This is a special circumstance in most states but pretty standard in the American South West near the border with Mexico.

I don't carry my ID unless I need it, and I have instructed my wife to do the same--if she does not need her ID then she does not carry any. If we want to travel, go to a job interview, get into a Rated R movie or buy some beer, then we will carry ID.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.