lizaanne

Carrying ID in the US - what do you always carry with you?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

but it does happen that police will detain someone until they can determine their immigrant status. Whether they are LPRs or citizens would make no difference, if they have no ID on them when asked, they'll have to wait around until someone can confirm their status.

Heck, even if you get pulled over in your car for a broken tail light, and you don't have your license with you, they can detain you. Personally, I don't see a difference. should the police just trust anyone when they say "yeah man, I am a citizen, and I have a valid license, I just left it at home...yeah, that's it, that's the ticket"

Not that police have jurisdiction over immigration laws, but some cities are considering it. I think I read recently that Asheville, NC is working on something of the sort.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Once I got my state ID card I put my greencard away with my passport - I'm not going to take the chance of losing either of them when they're both extremely expensive and essentially irreplaceable! I only get them out to take with me if I'm going some place where I know they'll be needed. As an approaching-middle-aged anglo-female type I'm not exactly a prime candidate for a police search. I've never been asked for my ID by a cop in my life...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Heck, even if you get pulled over in your car for a broken tail light, and you don't have your license with you, they can detain you. Personally, I don't see a difference. should the police just trust anyone when they say "yeah man, I am a citizen, and I have a valid license, I just left it at home...yeah, that's it, that's the ticket"

There is a _huge_ difference. You are obliged by law to have your license with you when driving. Is there a law that you need to carry a proof of citizenship ?

Bartek

You suppose to carry your greencard with you all the time. I am personally too scared to lose it so I leave it at home! I tried to use the greencard as ID at my old bank and they didnt even know what it was! I had to come back with my DL. Even when I got hired (I changed 3jobs) they never asked to see my Greencard. :huh: go figure :huh:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I wouldn't advise him to carry his passport with him at all times. I would think it's more likely to get lost or stolen that way, than if it is stored somewhere at home. If home isn't too secure, for some reason, then maybe you could get a safety deposit box at a bank?

The Permanent Residency (Green) Card comes with a letter saying that it has to be carried at all times. I wonder how many people actually do this and what the penaty is if you are caught 'out' without one?

So far as 'general' ID is concerned, for verifying whom you are when using credit cards etc, a Driver's License should be sufficient, I would have thought.

Neil.

I do actually carry my green card with me at all times... I was advised at my interview by the interviewing officer that it was a fine of $500 if you are caught without your green card... So i'd rather risk losing it and paying $200 than risk being caught without it and being fined $500... just seems easier..

There is a _huge_ difference. You are obliged by law to have your license with you when driving. Is there a law that you need to carry a proof of citizenship ?

Bartek

Yes, you are required by law to carry your green card with you at all times. Nothing about citizenship, but legal residency.

You suppose to carry your greencard with you all the time. I am personally too scared to lose it so I leave it at home! I tried to use the greencard as ID at my old bank and they didnt even know what it was! I had to come back with my DL. Even when I got hired (I changed 3jobs) they never asked to see my Greencard. :huh: go figure :huh:

but they are required by law to have your A# on your employment record. They should have asked to see some form of ID to prove your legal residency. Either an EAD, or green card.

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Is there a law that you need to carry a proof of citizenship ?

Yes, you are required by law to carry your green card with you at all times. Nothing about citizenship, but legal residency.

I think that my question was very clear - I asked about a proof of citizenship. But now we seem to agree that an USC does not have to carry a proof of citizenship. Can you tell apart an LPR without a green card and an UCS without a passport ? Assume that both speak with a foreign accent. Do you expect a policeman to be able to tell them apart ?

Bartek

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's interesting how you have to provide proof of legal residency to get a driver's license but yet it is not valid enough alone to prove that you are legally present.

brtlmj, I understand what your saying. It's a good point.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My wife carries her USC with her to show proof she is a legal resident!

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

I think that my question was very clear - I asked about a proof of citizenship. But now we seem to agree that an USC does not have to carry a proof of citizenship. Can you tell apart an LPR without a green card and an UCS without a passport ? Assume that both speak with a foreign accent. Do you expect a policeman to be able to tell them apart ?

Bartek

nope, that's why we're supposed to carry ID. And if a person's citizenship is in question, I imagine they would be detained by police until it can be confirmed.

Doesn't mean I agree with the practice, just that I know that it happens.

Can you tell apart an LPR without a green card and an UCS without a passport ? Assume that both speak with a foreign accent. Do you expect a policeman to be able to tell them apart ?

nope, that's why we're supposed to carry ID.

Who is "we" ? LPRs or USCs ?

And if a person's citizenship is in question, I imagine they would be detained by police until it can be confirmed. Doesn't mean I agree with the practice, just that I know that it happens.

As I said - that would be a field day for lawyers. Out of curiosity - do you know of any cases of _citizens_ being detained simply because they could not prove their citzenship ?

Personally I do not know ANY UCS who carry a passport, regardless of his/her accent.

Bartek

I carry my GC most times too. I've never been asked to show it for work authorisation either. Is it really a law to have your A#? Never heard that one before.

FWIW take a copy (front and back) of your GC and keep it safe. Apparently it makes it easier to get a replacement, but that could be heresay...

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Having a copy of your Greencard makes no diffrence on getting a new one... you still have to file the I-90 and have fresh biometrics done and wait about 6 - 9 months to recieve the new card.....

Kezzie

I know you still have to file...actually the wait can be even longer. There's quite a long discussion about it all on BE and the rather lovely and very informative lawyer who posts there suggests to keep a photocopy.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.