lizaanne

Carrying ID in the US - what do you always carry with you?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Once you are here and settled, assuming you have a GC, a State ID, and are working legally and all that - what do you carry for identification (assuming you are NOT a citizen)? What are you REQUIRED to carry with you? I'm paranoid for Simon to carry his passport with him everywhere for fear of loosing it or having it stollen with all the important stamps and stuff inside. If you were ever asked by police for identification, is it ok to just present a driver license like every other American? Or must he always have his passport on him?

Thanks much!

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my GC on me, and my driver's license, and I do carry around my passport with me, but that's just me. :)

Technically you are supposed to carry your GC around with you at all time -- some people do, some don't.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

I always carry both my GC and my DL .... but my passport is left at home in the safe.

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Once you are here and settled, assuming you have a GC, a State ID, and are working legally and all that - what do you carry for identification (assuming you are NOT a citizen)? What are you REQUIRED to carry with you? I'm paranoid for Simon to carry his passport with him everywhere for fear of loosing it or having it stollen with all the important stamps and stuff inside. If you were ever asked by police for identification, is it ok to just present a driver license like every other American? Or must he always have his passport on him?

Thanks much!

~Liza

I wouldn't advise him to carry his passport with him at all times. I would think it's more likely to get lost or stolen that way, than if it is stored somewhere at home. If home isn't too secure, for some reason, then maybe you could get a safety deposit box at a bank?

The Permanent Residency (Green) Card comes with a letter saying that it has to be carried at all times. I wonder how many people actually do this and what the penaty is if you are caught 'out' without one?

So far as 'general' ID is concerned, for verifying whom you are when using credit cards etc, a Driver's License should be sufficient, I would have thought.

Neil.

Neil (Preston, England) & Eva (North Carolina, USA)

27 September 2003 Church Wedding, England.

8 October 2004 -INTERVIEW---VISA GRANTED !!!

(Intervening time covered in VJ -Timeline Section)

10 Dec 2004 - Saturn finally came out of orbit and landed in NC !

(Check timeline for intervening period)

8th February 2006 - 'GREEN CARD' FINALLY GRANTED AT INTERVIEW IN CHARLOTTE, NC.

5th Wedding Anniversary due later this year, on 27th September 2008 - How time flies !

I am not a Lawyer and have never wanted or professed to be one. The views and comments I may express here are entirely my own and without any intended legal standing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I carry my GC and my Drivers Lisence at all times. EVERYONE in the US carries their drivers lisence and its a requirement that GC holders carry that too.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I guess I'm in the minority group :unsure: . I carry only my D/L with a copy of the green card. I know I should have the actual green card on me at all times, but it just seems to be a big pain in the ####### to replace if lost/stolen.

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I was stopped by the police (not for doing anything wrong) and was asked for ID.. I showed him my DL and he then asked for my Greencard... guess he knew I was not American by my accent... he did say if I had not had it with me I would have been taken to the Station to have my status confirmed by USCIS.....

I am so glad I followed the rules on the letter and carry it with me at all times...

Kezzie

Interesting question. My mother is a registered alien -- citizen of Australia -- but does not carry her green card or passport with her. She does carry her driver's license, of course. But since she has been in the US so long, her accent is gone, so anyone who talks to her will think she is American. In her 40 plus years in the US, I don't think she has ever been challenged on her legal presence in the US.

My husband, on the other hand, is obviously a Pacific Islander and has an accent. He has a penchant for losing things, especially his wallet. During the two years we corresponded while he was in college, he lost his wallet three times, and he admits that when he packed up to move from one dorm room to another, he found about five formerly lost student IDs! So I am very nervous about him carrying his passport or green card around. I don't think the passport is necessary now that he has his green card, but I think we may just make a nice color copy of his green card for him to carry around and leave the real thing at home.

K1 Visa

April 1, 2005 ...... I-129F mailed to VSC

April 4, 2005 ...... I-129F received at VSC

April 5, 2005 ...... NOA1 issued by VSC

May 4, 2005 ....... NOA2 issued by VSC

May 12, 2005...... NVC sent petition to embassy

June 14, 2005..... Fiance received Packet 3 from embassy

Dec 20, 2005 ..... Interview -- visa issued!!!

Dec 27, 2005 ..... Fiance arrived in US

Dec 30, 2005 ..... We got married!!!

AOS / EAD

June 7, 2006 ...... Mailed AOS/EAD paperwork to Chicago Lockbox

June 8, 2006 ...... Realized that we failed to send passport photos for I-765;
awaiting RFE!

June 9, 2006 ...... AOS/EAD package delivered

June 15, 2006 .... NOA issued for AOS/EAD

July 1, 2006 ........ Biometrics appointment

July 3, 2006 ........ AOS & EAD touched

July 17, 2006 ...... AOS transferred to CSC

July 21, 2006 ...... CSC received AOS case

July 22, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 25, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 26, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 28, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 31, 2006 ...... AOS touched

Aug 4, 2006 ........ AOS approved per case status on USCIS website!

Aug 9, 2006 ........ Welcome letter received

Aug 10, 2006 ...... Green card received!!!

I was stopped by the police (not for doing anything wrong) and was asked for ID.. I showed him my DL and he then asked for my Greencard... guess he knew I was not American by my accent... he did say if I had not had it with me I would have been taken to the Station to have my status confirmed by USCIS.....

I am so glad I followed the rules on the letter and carry it with me at all times...

Kezzie

Kezzie, I'm sure the accent probably had a lot to do with it...as I wrote below, my Australian mother has been in the US over 40 years and never bothered to carry her green card or passport around. She has been stopped by police at various times (once for driving too slow, LOL) and was never asked to show proof of legal presence. Of course, she has no accent at all now.

My mother has a Scottish friend who has also been in the US over 40 years but still has a strong accent....I wonder if she carries her green card at all times? I have a feeling that any police officer who asks Flo to produce a green card might get more than he bargained for -- she's not backwards in coming forward!

But your experience is making me rethink my position on whether hubby should carry his green card around...he doesn't have his driver's license yet, but once he starts driving, I guess maybe he'd better have his green card in his wallet in case he gets stopped for some reason. I just wish I could superglue it to his forehead, because he has a bad track record with losing wallets! Maybe I need to start checking into the process for replacing a lost green card....

K1 Visa

April 1, 2005 ...... I-129F mailed to VSC

April 4, 2005 ...... I-129F received at VSC

April 5, 2005 ...... NOA1 issued by VSC

May 4, 2005 ....... NOA2 issued by VSC

May 12, 2005...... NVC sent petition to embassy

June 14, 2005..... Fiance received Packet 3 from embassy

Dec 20, 2005 ..... Interview -- visa issued!!!

Dec 27, 2005 ..... Fiance arrived in US

Dec 30, 2005 ..... We got married!!!

AOS / EAD

June 7, 2006 ...... Mailed AOS/EAD paperwork to Chicago Lockbox

June 8, 2006 ...... Realized that we failed to send passport photos for I-765;
awaiting RFE!

June 9, 2006 ...... AOS/EAD package delivered

June 15, 2006 .... NOA issued for AOS/EAD

July 1, 2006 ........ Biometrics appointment

July 3, 2006 ........ AOS & EAD touched

July 17, 2006 ...... AOS transferred to CSC

July 21, 2006 ...... CSC received AOS case

July 22, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 25, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 26, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 28, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 31, 2006 ...... AOS touched

Aug 4, 2006 ........ AOS approved per case status on USCIS website!

Aug 9, 2006 ........ Welcome letter received

Aug 10, 2006 ...... Green card received!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

before I got my green card, all I carried with me was my driver's license and my EAD card. Before I had that, I had a photocopy of my K3 visa with me. I don't carry my passport unless I'm travelling across borders, it'd be too much of a pain to have replaced if I ever lost it.

The green card however we are required by law to carry it with us at all times, so I do. If I ever lose it, I've got my passport with the stamp in it to prove my presence here is legal, until I get a replacement card. Hopefully I'll never lose it.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I carry my green card and my driver's license. I would prefer not to carry my green card and to carry a copy but the regulations say to carry it. I carried my EAD before I received my green card. My passport stays safely at home unless I am flying or crossing the border somewhere.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

then asked for my Greencard... guess he knew I was not American by my accent... he did say if I had not had it with me I would have been taken to the Station to have my status confirmed by USCIS.....

I'd say he lied. This simply can't be true. Many immigrants (including me) will never lose a foreign accent. Yet, an LPR can get naturalized in three or five years. Then (s)he won't have to carry any proof of citizenship.

Lawyers will have a field day when cops start detaining every USC who speaks with an accent and does not carry a passport or certificate of naturalization.

Bartek

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.