dings

wedding between us citizen inmate / foreign fiancée

48 posts in this topic

i am not sure, in which forum i should post it exactly - so i post it in different ones - i am sorry.

my fiancé is an american inmate (illinois), we have contact since almost 10 years (through mail, phone, visits) and want to get married. i first thought it is not possible to marry while he's in custody, since i'm from abroad (switzerland). but people told me different.

(and we anyway better do start with the whole process yet - so we will be able to be together as soon as he is out in 2013....)

how do you think we should start now - i thought we HAVE to do the I-129F.... and i thought we then will somehow be able to arrange with the prison that they do it within the 90 days... i still would have a longer time-frame, since after approval of the fiancée visa i would have 6 month until i have to enter the country - and THEN the 90 days do start..... so we would have 9 month to get the wedding arranged through the prison. and the prison itself (even county clerk) told me it could even be done within 60 days.... i am SO glad that we at least have a prison who approves the wedding without putting bigger rocks onto our way!

but USCIS could be the ones who put the big huge rock into our way:

please read this thread and you will see our situation:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503635

can anyone suggest which way would be best for us to go....? for example if it would be better to first marry - and then apply I-130?

i appreciate every help !

Edited by dings

2011/02/23 Marriage

2011/06/30 USCIS received I-130

2011/07/01 NOA1

2012/03/09 NOA2

2012/03/19 NVC received package

2012/03/29 NVC case #

2012/04/02 DS-230/AOS fee bills

2012/08/29 Medical

2012/09/13 Interview

Approved!!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

i am not sure, in which forum i should post it exactly - so i post it in different ones - i am sorry.

my fiancé is an american inmate (illinois), we have contact since almost 10 years (through mail, phone, visits) and want to get married. i first thought it is not possible to marry while he's in custody, since i'm from abroad (switzerland). but people told me different.

(and we anyway better do start with the whole process yet - so we will be able to be together as soon as he is out in 2013....)

how do you think we should start now - i thought we HAVE to do the I-129F.... and i thought we then will somehow be able to arrange with the prison that they do it within the 90 days... i still would have a longer time-frame, since after approval of the fiancée visa i would have 6 month until i have to enter the country - and THEN the 90 days do start..... so we would have 9 month to get the wedding arranged through the prison. and the prison itself (even county clerk) told me it could even be done within 60 days.... i am SO glad that we at least have a prison who approves the wedding without putting bigger rocks onto our way!

but USCIS could be the ones who put the big huge rock into our way:

please read this thread and you will see our situation:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503635

can anyone suggest which way would be best for us to go....? for example if it would be better to first marry - and then apply I-130?

i appreciate every help !

you you can get married as approved my the prison... however from the eyes of uscis with the huge rock how do you prove to them the relationship was made (official) by con·sum·mating? when you guys dont live together..? You best wait until he is out of prison to file ANY forms.. You can get married yes.. but the period where he was away "locked up" may not do much since a true relationship doesnt exist.

Good Luck

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Other Timeline

Since you can't really be together with your husband, and in light of the sure-fire obstacles when removing conditions 2 years into the marriage, why don't you get married once he's a free man again? I will read your answer like a USCIS immigration officer would, and my response to it will give you valuable feedback on how to proceed.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Living together and proof of con-sum-mation is not a requirement for petitioning. There was a Canadian beneficiary who was approved with an inmate currently incarcerated

What was the man's crime? This will determine if he is eligible to petition. Also, you cannot file the I-129F for the fiance visa unless you have met him, have you met him

To marry an inmate, you must have permission from the prison

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Have you met him, face to face? Valid question if he is in the clink

Meeting in person is a requirement for the I-129F fiance visa

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

you you can get married as approved my the prison... however from the eyes of uscis with the huge rock how do you prove to them the relationship was made (official) by con·sum·mating? when you guys dont live together..? You best wait until he is out of prison to file ANY forms.. You can get married yes.. but the period where he was away "locked up" may not do much since a true relationship doesnt exist.

Good Luck

thank you for your reply!

what i learned is that we better NOT wait until he is out of prison. because even then it most probably might take very long until we are through with everything. and we really would love to be able to be in the same country when he gets released....

and yes - the period while one is locked up already is a true relationship for them as well - since even uscis and state department people (not to speak from all the forum people who can prove) told me that there were and are aliens getting immigration through marriage to an inmate.

of course you have to provide evidence of this. but this shouldn't be a problem if you really have a relationship.

the question actually is no more if it is possible - the question now is which way to go.... via I-129F or first wedding and then file I-130.....

Living together and proof of con-sum-mation is not a requirement for petitioning. There was a Canadian beneficiary who was approved with an inmate currently incarcerated

What was the man's crime? This will determine if he is eligible to petition. Also, you cannot file the I-129F for the fiance visa unless you have met him, have you met him

To marry an inmate, you must have permission from the prison

Good luck

it was murder when he was 17 - you can read more about it in my posted link. but since even death row inmates made it i really want to try (my man will be released in 3 years).

yes i have met him - even recently.

and also do we have the permission from prison and county clerk.

and providing a co-sponsor is no problem as well.

would you suggest me to go via I-129F still - or maybe better via wedding and then filing I-130, what do you think...?

2011/02/23 Marriage

2011/07/01 NOA1

2012/03/09 NOA2

2012/03/29 NVC case #

2012/08/29 Medical

2012/09/13 Interview

Approved!!!

Since you can't really be together with your husband, and in light of the sure-fire obstacles when removing conditions 2 years into the marriage, why don't you get married once he's a free man again? I will read your answer like a USCIS immigration officer would, and my response to it will give you valuable feedback on how to proceed.

because it would make time run so much faster if i would be able to live and work close to him - being able to visit him every week (and not only once a year).

please also read my answers to RICARDO4EVA2 and canadian_wife in my other thread:

what i learned is that we better NOT wait until he is out of prison. because even then it most probably might take very long until we are through with everything. and we really would love to be able to be in the same country when he gets released....

and yes - the period while one is locked up already is a true relationship for them as well - since even uscis and state department people (not to speak from all the forum people who can prove) told me that there were and are aliens getting immigration through marriage to an inmate.

of course you have to provide evidence of this. but this shouldn't be a problem if you really have a relationship.

the question actually is no more if it is possible - the question now is which way to go.... via I-129F or first wedding and then file I-130.....

it was murder when he was 17 - you can read more about it in my posted link. but since even death row inmates made it i really want to try (my man will be released in 3 years).

would you suggest me to go via I-129F still - or maybe better via wedding and then filing I-130, what do you think...?

2011/02/23 Marriage

2011/07/01 NOA1

2012/03/09 NOA2

2012/03/29 NVC case #

2012/08/29 Medical

2012/09/13 Interview

Approved!!!

Timeline

if you're not married then it would be I-129... and if you get marrried then the I-130 is required

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

your BEST and probably must successful attempt would be to give it a shot at the I-130. The I-129 is like askin you... if your fiance is locked.. who do u plan to go to the usa to be with. The I-130 is the strongest it seems. So if you insist on being together then the get married and send off the docs...now you'd be at the interview solo tryin to explain to some IO that your hubby has been in jail for the last 7 years. we been married fir 8 months and he should be released in the next 2 years 2 months.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

He may need a co-sponser....

its a must that a co-sponsor or other be joined to the filed case because the Sponsor isnt working and even if he's employed in jail.. it's nothin even close. The Wife if in the usa isnt supposed to wrk unless she's auth. to so any income she has wont be counted.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

duplicate threads from the K-1 forum and the K-3 forum have been moved here and merged with the existing thread in the Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America forum as the OP is not sure which visa process to pursue and this is the most applicable forum for her circumstances. Duplicate posts have also been removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Consummation of the marriage is only required when one of the parties is not present at the marriage. I think if they are both there ( even if separated ) then it is not required. That being said. Proof of meeting would exist in the visitation logs but I am not sure if you have a copy of those. You know you will have to find someone to co sponsor as inmate wages are way way below those required for sponsorship.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Would someone who has been convicted of murder be able to successfully petition for a K-1 visa? I recall it being a question that must be answered on the I-129F: Is it grounds for denial or just a declaration to notify the visa beneficiary?

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Consummation of the marriage is only required when one of the parties is not present at the marriage. I think if they are both there ( even if separated ) then it is not required. That being said. Proof of meeting would exist in the visitation logs but I am not sure if you have a copy of those. You know you will have to find someone to co sponsor as inmate wages are way way below those required for sponsorship.

I thought you got the big bucks making license plates.....

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.