kiamha

DCF in UK - How Long? We have a deadline and spouse needs to be in US by JAN.

30 posts in this topic

Thats correct he has to remain in UK until the visa is approved. You can stay in the UK with him tho if that will work in your situation? my husband and I were both in the UK when we applied in Jan and then in April he came over to the US to establish his domicile (this means proving he is going to live in the US again permanently because he had been living in the UK, so when he came in April he got a job and rental lease etc - this helped me at my interview prove he was settled back in the US) and my visa was approved start of June so we were only apart 9 weeks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think you missunderstand what the K3 was... it was not that much faster, at least in the last few years.

Is your husband a UK citizen? If so, he can visit you when the IR-1 is being processed on the visa waiver program, but for no longer than 90 days and he cannot work.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think you missunderstand what the K3 was... it was not that much faster, at least in the last few years.

Is your husband a UK citizen? If so, he can visit you when the IR-1 is being processed on the visa waiver program, but for no longer than 90 days and he cannot work.

That is Great to hear. I have been looking on the DOS and TravelState websites and cannot find where he can visit the US while waiting for the IR1. If that is the case then, after I file the DCF for IR1 in the UK - then I can move to the US and Matt can come and vist and attend school - if he returns to the UK for a while then comes back to the US.

Regarding, the K3, my understanding was that it takes longer than the IR1 (rather did take longer) but it allows the applicant to be in the US during the waiting period, and also work with an EAD. Perhaps this is incorrect.

The priority was to get Matt to the US by Jan, therby making the K3 the safer option.

Timeline

HI,

I did IR1 DCF thru London embassy and it took 5 months, I applied at the start of Jan and arrived in US at start of June.

Always try and have everything ready for the next steps by following the guides in here, for example apply for your police report now, my case would probably have been about 2 weeks quicker if I had really been on this as I waited for each packet to arrive from the embassy to then collect my paperwork

Good Luck

Stacey

Thank you Stacy - and Congratulations!

We actually already have my husbands police cert. Is there anything else that you can recommend that would avoid delays?

Timeline

He may be able to attend school, but may need to pay higher fees... check with the school. The visiting is under the same rules as any VWP visit- nothing to do with you filing for the IR-1. In any case, if you file for the IR-1 via DCF asap, it may be done by January if you are lucky, and if not, he can go spend Christmas with you and a few weeks in January, and then go back to the UK for the medical and interview whenever it is scheduled.

When the K3 existed, you could go to the US- but not work- after the first part of the process was done. It still took several months before you could go.

If he doesn't have a record of his childhood vaccinations, a good idea is to try and track them down now, via his old GP or the NHS. Also, if you have not filed or have lost your IRS tax filings for the last three years, backfile/ get copies of this now, as he will need it as part of the I-864 come interview time.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

He may be able to attend school, but may need to pay higher fees... check with the school. The visiting is under the same rules as any VWP visit- nothing to do with you filing for the IR-1. In any case, if you file for the IR-1 via DCF asap, it may be done by January if you are lucky, and if not, he can go spend Christmas with you and a few weeks in January, and then go back to the UK for the medical and interview whenever it is scheduled.

When the K3 existed, you could go to the US- but not work- after the first part of the process was done. It still took several months before you could go.

If he doesn't have a record of his childhood vaccinations, a good idea is to try and track them down now, via his old GP or the NHS. Also, if you have not filed or have lost your IRS tax filings for the last three years, backfile/ get copies of this now, as he will need it as part of the I-864 come interview time.

Thank you! This is Very Helpful!

I have been living in the UK for the past 6 years, so have not filed taxes in the US. But you are saying that I need to Back File for the US even though I have been living and filing in the UK?

Timeline

Thank you! This is Very Helpful!

I have been living in the UK for the past 6 years, so have not filed taxes in the US. But you are saying that I need to Back File for the US even though I have been living and filing in the UK?

Timeline

Yes, US citizens need to file US taxes even if living abroad. You won't need to pay anything, but you do need to file (unless you didn't make any income, say because you were a housewife). It's no big deal, just back file at least three year's worth now.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Nota Bene - is possible to 'go fast' with a DCF'd I-130 -

but

you must talk with a Visa Officer when you are handing in yer I-130 petition,

at the IV Unit at the US Embassy, in London.

Nothing is guaranteed about it, though -

you must go in person and ask for it, and even then,

they could say no.

When you go, have him wait outside the Embassy, then

as yer talking to the Visa Officer, mention that he's waiting outside now,

if need to do any pre-interview because of an expedite.

Also ask for a 'case number' so that you can submit the DS-230 and get a medical exam, whilst yer there.

Getting an expedite at London isn't 'normal', at all, but is possible, if you ask for it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Nota Bene - is possible to 'go fast' with a DCF'd I-130 -

but

you must talk with a Visa Officer when you are handing in yer I-130 petition,

at the IV Unit at the US Embassy, in London.

Nothing is guaranteed about it, though -

you must go in person and ask for it, and even then,

they could say no.

When you go, have him wait outside the Embassy, then

as yer talking to the Visa Officer, mention that he's waiting outside now,

if need to do any pre-interview because of an expedite.

Also ask for a 'case number' so that you can submit the DS-230 and get a medical exam, whilst yer there.

Getting an expedite at London isn't 'normal', at all, but is possible, if you ask for it.

Ok - so in addition to taking in the completed I-130 Application and the relevent Package of documents, and the DS-230 which you have suggested. Should I also have as much else completed as possible, ie the I-864? What else can I do in advance? (we have the police cert, we are waiting on the vaccination history, I've just filed my tax forms for the past three years) We will have to have a joint-sponser, should i have their I-864 form now?

THANKS!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

yup - having I-864 in hand won't hurt, at all.

But - you may have some time, after I-130 submittal - the 'usual process' is to submit ds-230 and I-864 on a subsequent, second 'packet' submittal - If you don't have the I-864 on first visit, don't sweat it, much, you'll have 2nd opportunity to submit stuff.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

As opposed to many other Consulates that actually encourage I-130 submissions in-person, the London Consulate explicitly states on their website that they can only accept petitions sent by post (for I-130).

See here (scroll to "Please note", right above the mailing addresses):

http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/

Please note: Petitions for Alien Relative (I-130) and Petitions for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (I-360) must be filed by mail. These petitions cannot be filed in person.

Whether there is a "window" for urgent cases, I've no idea. But it doesn't hurt if the OP tries that and explains their situation. I'll be interested to know what happens.

Also, yes, people are right when they say DCF is the fast-track option. However, at this very moment, the London Consulate is either severly backlogged or severely procrastinating, as they're still processing petitions filed on June 20, according to their website (as of September 17), which is more than a month behind their normal and usual timeline. They've been processing June for over 2 months now, with very little progress in between :wacko:

Our petition, according to our NOA1, was filed on the 9th of August, and by normal standards, we'd be expecting to hear something now or in the next couple of weeks (between late September and mid-October). Instead, if the pace doesn't pick up anytime soon, I don't see us hearing anything before November at the earliest, and maybe even later :unsure:

Edited by Christi85

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Timeline

And of course, as soon as I said it, they updated their website, but they've only advanced 3 days again, which is what's been happening for the past 2 months :wacko: .

As of September 27, 2010, we are processing petitions filed on June 23, 2010.

http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

So still processing June, still almost no progress :wacko::wacko:

Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical

My ROC journey:

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

My N-400 journey:

Timeline

As opposed to many other Consulates that actually encourage I-130 submissions in-person, the London Consulate explicitly states on their website that they can only accept petitions sent by post (for I-130).

See here (scroll to "Please note", right above the mailing addresses):

http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/

Please note: Petitions for Alien Relative (I-130) and Petitions for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (I-360) must be filed by mail. These petitions cannot be filed in person.

Whether there is a "window" for urgent cases, I've no idea. But it doesn't hurt if the OP tries that and explains their situation. I'll be interested to know what happens.

Also, yes, people are right when they say DCF is the fast-track option. However, at this very moment, the London Consulate is either severly backlogged or severely procrastinating, as they're still processing petitions filed on June 20, according to their website (as of September 17), which is more than a month behind their normal and usual timeline. They've been processing June for over 2 months now, with very little progress in between :wacko:

Our petition, according to our NOA1, was filed on the 9th of August, and by normal standards, we'd be expecting to hear something now or in the next couple of weeks (between late September and mid-October). Instead, if the pace doesn't pick up anytime soon, I don't see us hearing anything before November at the earliest, and maybe even later :unsure:

Thanks for your response! And congratulations on your wedding in Greece! What Luck that London is so far back-logged. How Frustrating!

This is the thing that really gets me. When Matt and I applied for my UK Spousal Visa. We hired a "handeler" who walked my application through the UK Embassy in Chicago and the whole thing took Less than 2 WEEKS! How on Earth can it take half a Year to get the same approval in the US?!?! Outrageous! Ok - off my soap box.

See - its what you have written here that is making me a bit nervous. I am not in the UK at the moment. I am a UK resident - but I am in the US. So, for me to submit our application in person - means that I will essentially be flying to London just to show up at the embassy and gamble that meeting in person will some how expedite the process. This will be a hugely expensive meeting. I just wish there was any way that I could find out if anyone has been successful at doing this. Matt is a student and I've recently graduated - so we are really skint. But if there is any chance that it will speed things up, then it would be worth it.

Also, Darnell has suggested that I ask for a 'case number' so that you can submit the DS-230 and get a medical exam. So, even if the actuall application is not expedited, this would at least speed things up by a few weeks.

Lots of Luck with your app!!! Marsha

Timeline

Thank you!! Best of luck to you too! :yes:

Yeah, we live in London but I'm originally from Greece, so we had to have two weddings - one smaller one in the US (based on which we submitted our petition), and our "big fat Greek wedding" :lol: in Greece just earlier this month.

Interestingly,although we live in London, we didn't see a point in having a wedding here, as we've no family here, and most of our friends were able to join us either at the US wedding or at the Greek one.

On a different note, it looks like things at the Embassy are finally moving along. This morning they updated their timelines again to say they're now processing early July petitions :dance::dance:

So probably a combination of London slowing down during the summer and an increased number of applications over the summer (it always seems to be the case) led to the backlog, but things seem to be moving again, at last! I have a feeling that we'll be moving much faster from now on!

Good luck in your experiment and let us know how it goes!!!

Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical

My ROC journey:

My N-400 journey:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.