sallycat

apply for k ? but work in canada

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Having no issues at the border...but I'm also a govt employee...lol

Thanks so much for telling me I can visit....that changes everything!

Yeah no problem. Are you a federal government? I used to be, but alas, I gave it up to move to Sarnia so I could go to Ann Arbor whenever I wanted (I lived in Nunavut before).

I'm sure you're familiar with the do's and don'ts of talking to border guards, but if they ask you if you work, I would definitely say "yes, I work the government." Because at least they know it's not a job you're going to f**k from, you know? haha...like McDonalds or something like that.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I just want to thank everyone for your posts tonite! We've been trying to figure this out while his mom has been diagnosed with cancer, my contract up for renewal etc. We now have direction and I cannot thank you all enough!

I will now investigate the cr 1 and hopefully plan a wedding soon!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just want to thank everyone for your posts tonite! We've been trying to figure this out while his mom has been diagnosed with cancer, my contract up for renewal etc. We now have direction and I cannot thank you all enough!

I will now investigate the cr 1 and hopefully plan a wedding soon!

Good luck :D

Filed: Timeline

Your question reminds me of my grandmother. She is an American citizen who lived in Detroit, met my grandfather in Windsor and got married. She moved to Canada, but continued working in Detroit. Things were simpler in the 40s I guess.

Once you've gone through all the paperwork and get married, you have 90 days to enter the country and cannot leave. You have to get married within those 90 days or your visa (I think) is null and void. After you are married, you will apply for adjustment of status, which includes "advanced parole"... a form that says you can leave the US for a certain amount of time.

You can check all this out in the guides section :)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay I'm a little confused reading the posts so I thought I might post how it makes sense to me :)

The CR-1 is DEFINITELY the best option for you. This is how it'll work:

- in either the US or Canada you get married

- you then return to Canada and file the CR-1. Your (now) husband can file the CR-1 for you from either the US or Canada

- While the CR-1 is processing, you can still visit your husband, and he you, but you can't MOVE to the US until you get the CR-1. You can also keep you job :)

- Once you have the CR-1 you can enter the US to activate it, and immediately leave the US. Your GC will be sent to the address you put on the paperwork

- you can then travel backwards and forwards.

The only problem I see is travelling backwards and fowards if you want to apply for citizenship. You will need to list every trip outside the US. Read the N-400 paperwork and see what you think.

Good luck with your decision :D

For "Time outside the U.S." on the N-400 (Naturalization application), you only have to list the trips of 24 hours or more outside the U.S. So, going to and from work every day, as long as you return to the U.S. don't have to be listed.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

CR-1 is defenitly the best. We applied back in March and although it has been a long wait(we haven't got our NAO2 yet), I have been travelling to the US four to five nights a week. I work in Niagara Falls Canada but visit my wife in Grand Island. She is only 20 minutes from my work. I have been asked on occasion to show pay stubs and other proof of ties to Canada and I have maintained my residence in Canada. Be careful to not visit too much before you are married. I was refused entry before we were married when I was visiting her 5 nights a week. Good luck with things :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I live and work in windsor, ontario. My boyfriend is in detroit. We would like to get married soon. However, I want to be able to continue working in canada.

I don't care if I obtain a green card in the immediate future. Would like to be able to live with him yet come to work daily. A lot of the forums deal with large distances between people.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Drive over to Detroit tomorrow and get married. Maintain a residence address in Canada, file for a CR-1 and commute back and forth all you like. A lot of my neighbors are Canadians that have a home (address at least) in both Quebec and Vermont.

As long as you have evidence with you of returning to Canada (the job is a real good one, keep a current pay stub with you) you will not have a problem going back and forth. You will have to go to Montreal for the CR-1 interview when the time comes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.