SoniaV

New to this site - Moroccan K1 Visa

4 posts in this topic

Hello. I am looking to start the process for filing for a K1 Visa for my fiance living in Morocco.

One of the questions we both thought was should be need a lawyer to prepare the papers? Is it helpful? Necessary? I've mainly heard that most people do this on their own. Neither of us has been married so I would think it would be easy.

Since he is from Morocco, I've heard all the stories about how difficult it is to get a K1 visa. Actually all of the stories have began to really stress me out over the whole process already!!! Should we wait and get married there and try to file a K3? The problem is it is so expensive to travel there.

I look forward to hearing about others stories. Thanks.

SoniaV

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

You don't need a lawyer but you do need to do your research. If you don't have time or paperwork/bureaucracy is not your thing, then consider paying someone else to do it for you. It really depends on your administrative experience and comfort level, in my opinion. You have to prioritize, organize, and stay that way.

Have you not been there, or he here? The flight is expensive but the visa process is going to cost far more than that. If you have not met in person and spent any time together I strongly advise you to do that first.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello. I am looking to start the process for filing for a K1 Visa for my fiance living in Morocco.

One of the questions we both thought was should be need a lawyer to prepare the papers? Is it helpful? Necessary? I've mainly heard that most people do this on their own. Neither of us has been married so I would think it would be easy.

Since he is from Morocco, I've heard all the stories about how difficult it is to get a K1 visa. Actually all of the stories have began to really stress me out over the whole process already!!! Should we wait and get married there and try to file a K3? The problem is it is so expensive to travel there.

I look forward to hearing about others stories. Thanks.

Hi Sonia,

My husband has been here since February and we got married in May. We completed the paperwork all on our own and didn't have any problems at all. We filed for a K1. I visited twice, once in July of 2009 then started the paperwork and sent it off in August of 2009. I also visited in December of 2009, this was after our K1 approval (on the US side) and he was waiting for his interview.

In the original application I sent about 10 pictures of our Moroccan engagement (including pictures of us with different family members) with copies of airplane tickets, baggage claim receipts, etc. I made sure I had every i, dotted and every t crossed.

For his interview which was in January of 2009, I included two small albums (you can get them for $1 at Wal-Mart) one was of different pictures from my first trip and the second was of my last trip. Each album held about 20 pictures. I also had a few chats from each month that we chatted on MSN. If you haven't been saving these, do! You never know what the interviewer will ask for, but it's better to have too much than not enough evidence. But! Don't go in there with a truck load either. :) I just printed a few pages from each month. We had no more than about 20 pages, just so they could see the date. I put all this information in a file folder that had different pockets. I labeled each pocket receipts, pictures, chat logs, etc. We were very organized and Bijad knew me inside and out. You can have ALL the evidence in the world and if your SO seems at all like he doesn't know what he is talking about, the interview will not go well!

To prepare for the interview we practiced questions, which Bijad hated. Although, I think it helped in the long run!! Message me if you have any questions - I know I am totally rambling ;)

As for the K3, you can ask others but I don't think many people are doing that anymore - they are going for the CR1.

Edited by Bijad and Teresa

MoroccoUSA_flag.jpg

Teresa,

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

- Martha Washington

4ZaKm5.png

Hi and welcome to VJ!

My fiance and I filed for a K1 visa from Morocco on our own without a lawyer in January and now I am waiting patiently for his flight here (October 16th :dance: ). I just used the guides here and had no problems. It is a very stressful process, but if you are organized and follow the guides, save your money. A lawyer will not be able to do anything to better your chances for approval. You just need to make sure you meet the requirements and are very well prepared for the interview. Reading through other's success stories and problems really made our journey easier. Good luck to you...if you have any questions, just ask! :star:

Jackie