10 posts in this topic

My fiance is currently on an OPT visa which allows her to

Stay in the US for 90 days.

I am wondering, if I file for I-130....Does her status of Being

Legal Resident, have to be approved before her OPT expires,

Or Does she have to Leave the US Even if We are married?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Are you hoping, instead, to 'adjust status' from OPT ?

You'd have to get married before it expires, and FILE before the expiration date - please review http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

and pay particular attention to any current visa limitations, if she must return to her home country for 2 years, or not.

*** not a K-3 visa question , moving to AOS forum ***

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

In general, no.

However

review the current 'stuff' on her visa stamp in her passport. See if any annotations. If annotations, post them here, we'll try to figure them out for you.

Basically, if the OPT 'thing' has a 2 year 'home residency requirement' then she is required to stay in her home country for 2 years after the current visa expires, before coming back to the USA.

You'll need to check this, asap, before filing any paperwork.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Also when does the OPT expire, you said it would allow her to stay in the US for 90 days. Does that mean it expires in 3 months? or are you referring to the period after the OPT expires in which she has to leave the country (60 days)? You will have to be married to go through this process, and it takes about 90 days from start to finish.

AOS (from F-1) Timeline:

06/30/2010 - (XX) - Sent AOS package (130, 485, and 765) to Chicago lockbox per USPS express.

07/02/2010 - (00) - Received in Chicago, signed by L. Box (Clever Mr. Postman!)

07/09/2010 - (07) - All checks cashed by Uncle Sam

07/09/2010 - (07) - 3 NOAs sent out

07/12/2010 - (10) - 3 Hard copies for NOAs received by snail mail

07/12/2010 - (10) - Touched all three applications

07/14/2010 - (12) - Touched all three applications

07/22/2010 - (20) - Biometrics appointment dated

07/26/2010 - (24) - Biometrics appointment received for 08/19/2010

07/28/2010 - (26) - Successful biometrics appointment walk-in done in Phoenix, AZ (22 days prior to appointment date)

08/02/2010 - (31) - EAD Approved!!!

08/04/2010 - (33) - EAD Card production ordered

08/05/2010 - (34) - EAD Touched

08/09/2010 - (38) - EAD Approval notice sent

08/10/2010 - (39) - EAD Touched

08/11/2010 - (40) - EAD Received!!!!

09/23/2010 - (83) - Interview!!! APPROVED!!!

09/23/2010 - (83) - I-130 and I-485 Touched

09/24/2010 - (84) - I-130 and I-485 Touched

09/27/2010 - (87) - Approval notice received in snail mail (stamped 9/24/10)

Also when does the OPT expire, you said it would allow her to stay in the US for 90 days. Does that mean it expires in 3 months? or are you referring to the period after the OPT expires in which she has to leave the country (60 days)? You will have to be married to go through this process, and it takes about 90 days from start to finish.

Thanks for the Helpful words,

Her OPT -Working Permit expires in Mid October, But we are Getting married in the Beginning of October.

So,( I just want to make sure) If we are married, and have all the paperwork sent in, she does not have to leave the States.

Timeline

She SHOULD NOT leave the states until green card in hand.

re: mid october expiration date -

this is gonna be tough, but I think you can swing all -

so

the 'point' here is to have the receipt notice, NOA-1, in hand before her OPT expires, (particulalry a receipt date prior to the visa expiration) but in essence -

IF any AOS is granted, ANY 'out of status' time is forgiven, once she has green card in hand.

whilst waiting for green card to arrive, stay out of any ICE enforcement areas. Stay IN THE USA.

Good Luck !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Technically she has 60 days past her expiration date to leave before she would accumulate any overstay. And also, usually any overstay is forgiven for AOS. Know however that she can't keep on working after the expiration of her OPT.

AOS (from F-1) Timeline:

06/30/2010 - (XX) - Sent AOS package (130, 485, and 765) to Chicago lockbox per USPS express.

07/02/2010 - (00) - Received in Chicago, signed by L. Box (Clever Mr. Postman!)

07/09/2010 - (07) - All checks cashed by Uncle Sam

07/09/2010 - (07) - 3 NOAs sent out

07/12/2010 - (10) - 3 Hard copies for NOAs received by snail mail

07/12/2010 - (10) - Touched all three applications

07/14/2010 - (12) - Touched all three applications

07/22/2010 - (20) - Biometrics appointment dated

07/26/2010 - (24) - Biometrics appointment received for 08/19/2010

07/28/2010 - (26) - Successful biometrics appointment walk-in done in Phoenix, AZ (22 days prior to appointment date)

08/02/2010 - (31) - EAD Approved!!!

08/04/2010 - (33) - EAD Card production ordered

08/05/2010 - (34) - EAD Touched

08/09/2010 - (38) - EAD Approval notice sent

08/10/2010 - (39) - EAD Touched

08/11/2010 - (40) - EAD Received!!!!

09/23/2010 - (83) - Interview!!! APPROVED!!!

09/23/2010 - (83) - I-130 and I-485 Touched

09/24/2010 - (84) - I-130 and I-485 Touched

09/27/2010 - (87) - Approval notice received in snail mail (stamped 9/24/10)

Timeline

I guess any other advice I would give you, is this -

get married at the courthouse early on in September, then file as soon as you have the marriage certificate in hand. Order 3 'certified copies' of the marriage certificate when you go in, pay any extra for 'personal pickup in lieu of mailing', as that will save some time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.