faith620

Immigration documents to bring to oath ceremony

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have just realized that I no longer have my expired immigration documents: my two-year green card and EAD. I went through my stacks of immigration papers, but I can't seem to find them. I even have a sinking feeling in my stomach that they might have accidentally gotten shredded with some old credit cards and other documents that my husband and I were trying to get rid of during the move Can this create a problem at my oath ceremony? I will turn in my current green card, but what should I say if they ask me for other documents? Help! :crying:

April 13, 2010 - N 400 sent

April 14, 2010 - Received confirmation of delivery from mail carrier

April 23, 2010 - NOA date

April 26, 2010 - Check cleared

April 27, 2010 - NOA letter received

May 7, 2010 - Fingerprint letter received

May 24, 2010 - Fingerprint appointment

July 13, 2010 - Interview (passed!)

July 29, 2010 - Oath letter received. Oath scheduled for 08/26/2010

August 26, 2010 - I'm a US Citizen!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I have just realized that I no longer have my expired immigration documents: my two-year green card and EAD. I went through my stacks of immigration papers, but I can't seem to find them. I even have a sinking feeling in my stomach that they might have accidentally gotten shredded with some old credit cards and other documents that my husband and I were trying to get rid of during the move Can this create a problem at my oath ceremony? I will turn in my current green card, but what should I say if they ask me for other documents? Help! :crying:

you don't need them for the oath, just the letter, the GC, take passport in case you traveled. You need other documents in case of change, such as travel, DUI, if you married after the interview, divorced after the interview. any changes after the interview.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If I remember correctly, the 2 year GC gets turned in when you pass the interview and they issue the 10 year card. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that's what happened as I never had mine when I got to the N-400 stage either, all I had was the 10 year card...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oath letter is certainly confusing when they said bring all of your immigration papers with you, so did toss the briefcase in the car, it stayed there just in case. Only thing they wanted from my wife was her oath letter, you can fill all that out in advance, but you sign and date it in front of your officer, then turn in your current green card.

More than likely, you will be in a long line, and they try to do this as quickly as possible. Wife commented that the woman in front of her didn't even know how to write and "S" for September, so the officer helped her with that and the spelling of that long word. She wondered how she passed her interview. I was put in a separate line, everyone was nice for a change, did let me bring in my digital camera, but already knew about leaving my cell in the car, but they did ask me if I had one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Oath letter is certainly confusing when they said bring all of your immigration papers with you, so did toss the briefcase in the car, it stayed there just in case. Only thing they wanted from my wife was her oath letter, you can fill all that out in advance, but you sign and date it in front of your officer, then turn in your current green card.

More than likely, you will be in a long line, and they try to do this as quickly as possible. Wife commented that the woman in front of her didn't even know how to write and "S" for September, so the officer helped her with that and the spelling of that long word. She wondered how she passed her interview. I was put in a separate line, everyone was nice for a change, did let me bring in my digital camera, but already knew about leaving my cell in the car, but they did ask me if I had one.

My husband has dyslexia and he passed his interview just fine. Not everyone is perfect at spelling.

Timeline

My husband has dyslexia and he passed his interview just fine. Not everyone is perfect at spelling.

My son says his girlfriend called him an imberseal

post-29956-085940800 1282867075_thumb.jpg

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

(I posted this before on VJ, but I thought it would help you out here too...)

Hi faith620,

Likewise....I lost my expired 2yr card too...

It somehow it ended up in the trash....

And after we found out about it...It was too late....

It was on it's way to the town/county dump.....

This happened at about the time during the I-751 stage...Where my 2yr card had expired...

But I didn't get my 10yr card yet (stupid delays....)

So I had no green card at all for a few weeks....And I only had an NOA letter (which is useless without the card...)

So I went for an infopass appointment....And asked for a I-551 stamp...

It was funny when they said they wanted my expired 2yr card in switch/exchange for the stamp...

To which I had to say that I lost the card....

They wern't too happy about it...

But they gave me the I-551 stamp regardless (and didn't ask me to get a replacement)...

(lol...I was 8 pregnant at the time and needed to take final trip to Canada...guess they didn't want to mess with that..)

And complained as to how long they were taking for my 10yr card...

And about a week later..I got my 10yr green card 5 months green card in the mail...Go figure.....

Then when it came time for citizenship...

I just told them again that I lost the 2yr card and that I don't have it anymore....

And said (or thought about saying)..."I can't give you something that I don't currently have..." .....

And they had to accept that they way it was...

And as required, before the oath ceremony, I very reluctantly gave them back the 10yr card that I had....

And complained again as to how long they took for my 10yr card...

And complained that I only got to keep it/use it for 5 months.....

But they wouldn't let me keep it....Sigh......Oh well....

Oh well, all is forgiven I suppose.....I got a naturalization certificate instead....So be it....

No more green cards to worry about! Goodbye USCIS! Goodbye Green Cards!

(though I did take a photocopy of the green cards beforehand...for momento sake..so I still have those...)

As long as they had one valid 10yr green card to give them back..

They were happy with that..

So no worries about your lost 2yr green card...

As after all, "you can't give them what you don't have"....

As for any other immigration document that you do have...Yes..give that back to them..They want that...

And you still have time...So try searching for that 2yr green card again! You never know if you will find it somewhere where you least expect it....

Other than that...Keep your naturalization certificate in a safe place when you get it! Make a photocopy (one copy for 'personal use' is allowable, despite it saying it is illegal to copy...as told to me by an immigration officer) of it (just in case it gets lost/stolen/etc). Don't lose it! As that's another $450+ in costs and gosh knows how many weeks/months for a replacement.....

Hope this helps...Good luck with your situation and the rest of your journey too.

Ant

P.S. I never applied for an EAD, nor did I ever have one, as I felt that at the time I didn't need it....

Lol..Instead, I saved the money there and waited for the green card...

Nevertheless, they had no problems that I didn't have an EAD either....

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

If I remember correctly, the 2 year GC gets turned in when you pass the interview and they issue the 10 year card. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that's what happened as I never had mine when I got to the N-400 stage either, all I had was the 10 year card...

Huh? What 10yr green card interview? I never had one of those for the I-751/10yr green card stage....

(though I wish I had one...as interview cases were approved faster....)

And actually it is quite rare for anyone to have interviews at the I-751 stage..(but that's another issue..)

The 10yr green card is sent in the mail..And that's pretty much it nowadays.....

And even then, one can still keep their 2yr green card, since it is expired anyways...

Anyways, the important thing is that the OP has their 10yr green card, as that's what needed for citizenship purposes, regardless...

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Took my oath yesterday. Everything went just fine - they just took my 10 yr green card and did not ask for anything else. I'm a US Citizen!!!

April 13, 2010 - N 400 sent

April 14, 2010 - Received confirmation of delivery from mail carrier

April 23, 2010 - NOA date

April 26, 2010 - Check cleared

April 27, 2010 - NOA letter received

May 7, 2010 - Fingerprint letter received

May 24, 2010 - Fingerprint appointment

July 13, 2010 - Interview (passed!)

July 29, 2010 - Oath letter received. Oath scheduled for 08/26/2010

August 26, 2010 - I'm a US Citizen!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Took my oath yesterday. Everything went just fine - they just took my 10 yr green card and did not ask for anything else. I'm a US Citizen!!!

Congratulations!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Faith620-Congratulations on being a US Citizen, and thanks for the update! :)

Glad everything went well for you, despite having your 2yr card and EAD....

Good luck with the rest of your journey as a US Citizen....

Ant

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Huh? What 10yr green card interview? I never had one of those for the I-751/10yr green card stage....

(though I wish I had one...as interview cases were approved faster....)

And actually it is quite rare for anyone to have interviews at the I-751 stage..(but that's another issue..)

The 10yr green card is sent in the mail..And that's pretty much it nowadays.....

And even then, one can still keep their 2yr green card, since it is expired anyways...

Anyways, the important thing is that the OP has their 10yr green card, as that's what needed for citizenship purposes, regardless...

Ant

Oh yeah, looking back I guess there was only the one interview then to get the original Conditional GC. Then in that case I have no clue what happened to the old card then. I never had it after I got my 10 year one. Maybe I had to send it back in the mail or something. No idea...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Oh yeah, looking back I guess there was only the one interview then to get the original Conditional GC. Then in that case I have no clue what happened to the old card then. I never had it after I got my 10 year one. Maybe I had to send it back in the mail or something. No idea...

I am glad someone else has a bad memnory - or a good memory actually as it would be awful to be able to remember all the bad stuff that happens in life.

When I got my 10 year green card I burned everything from my USCIS cases ! No way was I hauling that across the atlantic.

I have the main visas/GC etc imaged on my comp of course but all the copy applications - gone for ever.

I have zero paper files for my n400 except the 2 notices so far. The rest are pdf files so at least I can read em on my laptop in the hotel room the night before the interview.

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.