1,485 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've asked this before several months ago, but I know everyone a bit better now and I'm a lot more informed on what comes next.

Regarding my affidavit of support, my income is more than enough but I have bad credit and debt issues so to be on the safe side I'm using a co-sponsor that makes 6 figures. I do not want to take any chances. Income shouldn't be an issue, but since these forms aren't required until the interview can he keep my co-sponsor's papers to the side and present them only if I'm denied as a single sponsor? I'd prefer not to legally bind my co-sponsor to my relationship if it's not necessary. I'm sure this is a question for the UK embassy forum but I'm just curious if anyone here can shed some light on it. I'm wondering if the papers have to be presented with a co-sponsor and my fiance can tell them we don't want to use it unless required or just keep it to himself until they ask.

It's really hard to judge what London would do if they denied/postponed your fiance's visa based on just you being the sponsor. I really don't think you have to be worried about your debt though, I don't think that information needs to be divulged at all, right? But I think it would be weird if you tried to go through without the sponsor, were told verbally during the interview your fiance was denied, and then he be like "Oh wait a minute, here's some co-sponsor papers I magically pulled out of my pocket!"

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

It's really hard to judge what London would do if they denied/postponed your fiance's visa based on just you being the sponsor. I really don't think you have to be worried about your debt though, I don't think that information needs to be divulged at all, right? But I think it would be weird if you tried to go through without the sponsor, were told verbally during the interview your fiance was denied, and then he be like "Oh wait a minute, here's some co-sponsor papers I magically pulled out of my pocket!"

he wouldnt get denied over something of that sort,he would get 221Ged,there was a member here,her fiance was in armed forces,and somehow the CO decided that he wasnt over the guidelines when he wasnt.they 221Ged her,told her to send in her co sponsor papers,and she recently got her visa approved in her passport

Wait but if we hand them both papers, couldn't he just say I wasn't sure if I would be approved on my own (play stupid, if you will) and that we brought a co-sponsor just in case? It wouldn't be a lie as I'm not sure what they look at before making their decision. If they saw that I qualified on my own would they even use the co-sponsor?

I do not want any delays in processing whatsoever. I want to cover ALL bases to make that happen, even if my debt isn't an issue. Why would they make us come back just to hand them the same papers?

Edited by gap1

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

Timeline

My noa2 said that it was forwarded to the consulate. But i just assumed that they meant the nvc... Now im a bit confused. Maybe they sent it straight to the embassy in trinidad. What do u all think?

I think they just say that...it does go through NVC though. Don't worry about it, they know what they're doing.

he wouldnt get denied over something of that sort,he would get 221Ged,there was a member here,her fiance was in armed forces,and somehow the CO decided that he wasnt over the guidelines when he wasnt.they 221Ged her,told her to send in her co sponsor papers,and she recently got her visa approved in her passport

Okay well whatever, I just meant if they decide to cause problems because she doesn't have a co-sponsor.

gap1, I don't think you need to worry about your debt. My fiance has a lot of debt as well (hello mortgage) but we aren't doing the co-sponsor thing.

It's not just debt, it's bad debt. I have things in collection and defaulted student loans. :(

Isn't it better to be prepared with the papers on the spot than risk being sent away for god knows how long they delay us for refiling with a co-sponsor?

No way. No delays. We've been waiting long enough.

Edited by gap1

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Timeline

It's not just debt, it's bad debt. I have things in collection and defaulted student loans. :(

Isn't it better to be prepared with the papers on the spot than risk being sent away for god knows how long they delay us for refiling with a co-sponsor?

No way. No delays. We've been waiting long enough.

Then I would just go ahead with the co-sponsor. If you get the blue slip, it's only going to delay you further. Considering you make more than 125% of the poverty level, your co-sponsor wouldn't have anything to even worry about.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

His parents would work fine as a co-sponser, but keep in mind, it can only be 1 person, so probably whoever makes more money.

And, they have to make enough to cover their household plus you as the fiancee. So, his mom, his dad, plus you (and any other dependents in the household) would be counted towards how much the co-sponser needs to make. So, if it's just you 3, then 125% of poverty for 3 people.

I hope I explained that without being even more confusing!!

Congrats on your surprise approval!! :)

Thank you, very helpful!

Yeah what a surprise alright! I wonder if the NOA2 is in the post or if it was just completely overlooked. We'll find out I suppose. :)

Then I would just go ahead with the co-sponsor. If you get the blue slip, it's only going to delay you further. Considering you make more than 125% of the poverty level, your co-sponsor wouldn't have anything to even worry about.

Right, but my question is: Is it possible to give them both forms and tell them the co-sponsor is there just in case it's needed? If they see I make enough and I clear whatever else they look up on me when deciding, won't they just disregard the co-sponsor?

I realize you don't work there so you wouldn't know haha.

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

credit doesnt effect your affidavit of support.thats why some people get so pissed off when they find out they need a co sponsor because they make less money than people in credit card debit yet they have perfect score.

you can tell him to not give the CO the co sponsor documents,unless they mention it to him he will need a co sponsor or give him a 221G

That's what I was thinking (sorry I didn't see this reply until just now). Well, even though everyone SAYS credit doesn't matter here...I get denied for financial-based decisions on a constant basis and I just don't want to risk something this important. It's like they punch in my SSN and get a skull and crossbones saying: DENY HER IMMEDIATELY AND RUN!

Edited by gap1

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Timeline

Right, but my question is: Is it possible to give them both forms and tell them the co-sponsor is there just in case it's needed? If they see I make enough and I clear whatever else they look up on me when deciding, won't they just disregard the co-sponsor?

I realize you don't work there so you wouldn't know haha.

I don't know if anyone will be able to answer your question; most people usually know either way what they're going to do as far as the co-sponsor goes. You should probably ask in the London forum or PM someone like "Gary and Alla," or JimVaPhuong or ellis-island (he's an immigration attorney). They seem to be the most knowledgeable on VJ.

Timeline

That's what I was thinking (sorry I didn't see this reply until just now). Well, even though everyone SAYS credit doesn't matter here...I get denied for financial-based decisions on a constant basis and I just don't want to risk something this important. It's like they punch in my SSN and get a skull and crossbones saying: DENY HER IMMEDIATELY AND RUN!

well you need to keep in mind,people dont get denied for the lack of documents OR things that could get fixed,finances being one of them.

people get denied for lack of evidence or information about their fiance,things like that,so i think youre safe,dont worry

I don't know if anyone will be able to answer your question; most people usually know either way what they're going to do as far as the co-sponsor goes. You should probably ask in the London forum or PM someone like "Gary and Alla," or JimVaPhuong or ellis-island (he's an immigration attorney). They seem to be the most knowledgeable on VJ.

Well it's not a question of one or the other...I'm ready and giving him a co-sponsor regardless. I was just concerned about the manner in which to hand over the documents. I'll take a stroll in the embassy thread. I was just batting ideas around.

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Timeline

Well it's not a question of one or the other...I'm ready and giving him a co-sponsor regardless. I was just concerned about the manner in which to hand over the documents. I'll take a stroll in the embassy thread. I was just batting ideas around.

or you could ask some of the vj veterans in comment,im sure gary knows

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.