^_^

Ron Paul: Stop Your Demagogy About The NYC Mosque!

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ron Paul is a libertarian, as are most Americans. "Mind your own business" sums it up correctly.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my opinion it has come from the neo-conservatives who demand continual war in the Middle East and Central Asia and are compelled to constantly justify it.

This sentiment seems to confirm that Islam itself is to be made the issue, and radical religious Islamic views were the only reasons for 9/11. If it became known that 9/11 resulted in part from a desire to retaliate against what many Muslims saw as American aggression and occupation, the need to demonize Islam would be difficult if not impossible.

Ron Paul makes some good points but still retains his nutball credentials. Nobody has said the NYC mosque is the reason to retain troops in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Anyone who can rationalize 9/11 the way he did should be laughed off the political scene as he was in 2008.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Just build the thing already. It is just a church for Gods sake. I really don't understand the overt fear some people have about this.

It's not even a mosque. It is a community center that has space on the top floor for prayers.

Gary, you really should check your information again, a majority of americans are NOT Libertarians. I would agree that most people are in favor of Civil Liberties, but your assumption is asinine.

ALC, your summary of Paul (and Libertarians in general) is spot on. They will have a few good ideas, but those great ones will be overshadowed by the overall batsh!t crazy ones.

ALC, your summary of Paul (and Libertarians in general) is spot on. They will have a few good ideas, but those great ones will be overshadowed by the overall batsh!t crazy ones.

:lol: Now that we can all agree on.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is related to what Rob said about Libertarians...

Monday, Aug 23, 2010 15:24 ET

"Liberaltarians" out at Cato

Is the Koch-funded libertarian think tank no longer interested in finding common ground with liberals?

By Alex Pareene

md_horiz.jpg

Brink Lindsey and Will Wilkinson are leaving the Cato Institute, one of the more prominent libertarian think tanks. Lindsey was the Institute's vice president of research. Wilkinson, a Cato scholar, edited their website. Their departures are notable because they were two of Cato's most prominent "liberaltarians."

Lindsey coined that term in a 2006 piece on the possibility of libertarians and liberals finding common cause. Cato produces a lot of work that liberals ought to love -- Radley Balko's work on police militarization, to pick one example, is essential, enraging reading. But it looks like any explicit efforts toward reaching out to liberals and Democrats have been called off.

Various libertarians (and, to a much lesser extent, liberals) have wondered, as Lindsey did in that 2006 piece, why libertarians so often align themselves with conservatives instead of liberals. Considering the number of anti-libertarian policies the conservative movement fights for, it seems slightly odd that libertarians would act as an arm of that movement. But I think the answer is sort of obvious: While some outlets, like those leather jacket-wearing rebels at Reason, just tend to go after whoever's currently in power, most of the big libertarian institutions are funded by vain rich people. And these vain rich people care a lot more about tax policy (specifically a policy of not having to pay taxes) than they do about legalizing drugs or defunding the military-industrial complex. And if they're keeping the lights on at Cato and AEI, they want Cato and AEI to produce research that relates more to hating the IRS and the EPA than to hating the NYPD or the FBI.

And Cato was born as a Koch family pet project. As in the Koch family that is bent on the political destruction of Barack Obama.

Anyway, Lindsey and Wilkinson aren't saying anything about their departures, but, as Dave Weigel writes, it looks for all the world like "Cato is enforcing a sort of orthodoxy."

A libertarian influence on the Democratic party in the realms of law enforcement, drug policy, and civil liberties would definitely be a good thing. But the big libertarian institutions are not really amenable to working with liberals.

link

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

Just build the thing already. It is just a church for Gods sake. I really don't understand the overt fear some people have about this.

It's not even a mosque. It is a community center that has space on the top floor for prayers.

I understand, up to a point, some of the fear but this is blown way out of proportion. People tend to fear things they don't understand. I know some of it comes from bigotry but I think most of it is just ignorance. When we found out that UBL was behind the attack, and that he was Muslim, people that had no conception of what Muslims really are just lumped all of them into the potential "terrorist" camp. It is too bad that some have translated fear and ignorance over time to bigotry rather than taking the time to understand that these dirtbag terrorists have as much in common with Islam as an abortion clinic bomber has with Christianity. They use religion as an excuse rather than a motivator.

If this center has the effect of educating the common American that has a head full of misconceptions about Islam then it will be a plus. Maybe the backers of the center could use this as a chance to bring us together and pledge part of the space for a tribute to those lost on 9/11 and point out the good things Islam does around the world. If they are a loud voice denouncing the terrorists then all but the truly bigoted will stop protesting.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand, up to a point, some of the fear but this is blown way out of proportion. People tend to fear things they don't understand. I know some of it comes from bigotry but I think most of it is just ignorance. When we found out that UBL was behind the attack, and that he was Muslim, people that had no conception of what Muslims really are just lumped all of them into the potential "terrorist" camp. It is too bad that some have translated fear and ignorance over time to bigotry rather than taking the time to understand that these dirtbag terrorists have as much in common with Islam as an abortion clinic bomber has with Christianity. They use religion as an excuse rather than a motivator.

If this center has the effect of educating the common American that has a head full of misconceptions about Islam then it will be a plus. Maybe the backers of the center could use this as a chance to bring us together and pledge part of the space for a tribute to those lost on 9/11 and point out the good things Islam does around the world. If they are a loud voice denouncing the terrorists then all but the truly bigoted will stop protesting.

QFT +1

The ironic part I find is how quick to denounce all of Islam some people are, all in the name of anti-terrorism. Yet, they are muted when someone like Martin McGuinness comes to Boston to do a speaking engagement, or even fundraise for Sinn Fein.

Timeline

If 9/11 and 9 years of war in 2 majority Muslim countries and our "Muslim" president with the middle name no one is allowed to utter haven't enlightened the public about Islam, then an Islamic center sited at one of the worst locations funded by unknown sources has no hope of building anything than a bridge of reconciliation to nowhere.

Is there any reason why the mosqure backers they chose that site and won't accept anywhere else?

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If 9/11 and 9 years of war in 2 majority Muslim countries and our "Muslim" president with the middle name no one is allowed to utter haven't enlightened the public about Islam, then an Islamic center sited at one of the worst locations funded by unknown sources has no hope of building anything than a bridge of reconciliation to nowhere.

Is there any reason why the mosqure backers they chose that site and won't accept anywhere else?

They own the property is my understanding and they want it there to serve the Muslims working in Manhattan.

Timeline

The ironic part I find is how quick to denounce all of Islam some people are, all in the name of anti-terrorism. Yet, they are muted when someone like Martin McGuinness comes to Boston to do a speaking engagement, or even fundraise for Sinn Fein.

Why should McGuiness be allowed in London (supported by British taxpayers no less) but not Boston?

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Filed: Timeline

Our Muslim president? You're part of the 20% or so of dumbfcucks in the country that believe that shite? Interesting.