Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

You are old enough and choose to live in place where you are more comfortable, no one is forcing you to live here.

When you apply for job and you do not want to stick to the uniform and want company to change policy to fit you, thats outrageous.

hahahah Visually raped........ thats like the only defence you can get???

I have heard this over and over, why do muslim men do when they see a skimply dressed western women, do they close their eyes?

Why didnt allah write some rule for them as well? lol

Yes and thats exactly I am telling you is, when you migrate to another country, which is not your home country then learn to live the way they do in your new country.

If you are in Rome live like Romans, thats an old saying.

You cannot go forcing other ppl around you to change their way of living.

while i do not support the disney woman in the way she has handled the situation, you have taken this argument in different direction and AGAIN i ask:

could you please point me to a govt resource for this "American dress code"?

Now you say i need some type of "defence" to explain my choice to cover?

{mumbling to self} DEFINITELY the USA needs to add an intelligence test to the already long list of requirements for immigrants.

so tell us your 'solution' to those of us who are BORN IN THE USA who do not dress in a way YOU see fit?

(sorry to those who are sick of this but it's like a trainwreck, just have to see what happens)

Edited by nab

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

There are dress codes in employment, which employers are willing to accommodate to varying degrees. I wasn't disputing that - I was replying to your assertion that there is a dress code for America. There isn't.

You were attacking his/her English language skills. I smell a bigot...yes that is sarcasm!

Dress like a thug, probably won't get your dream job in banking. Dress like a hippy, you probably won't get a job at Che Fancy Pants as matre de. Life is full of choices and sometimes our choices have real world consequences. Especially in the wonderful world of gameful employment.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You were attacking his/her English language skills. I smell a bigot...yes that is sarcasm!

Dress like a thug, probably won't get your dream job in banking. Dress like a hippy, you probably won't get a job at Che Fancy Pants as matre de. Life is full of choices and sometimes our choices have real world consequences. Especially in the wonderful world of gameful employment.

hey you! quit making sense, or i'll be forced to give you a plus one.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

yes, some people go on and on ignoring the fact that being told to get out of public view at yr job because yr a muslim is demeaning. being demeaned because of your religious beliefs is discriminatory, and not considered reasonable accommodation based on previous legal precedents. there's nothing radical about calling out disney's bs.

She was asked to leave public view, temporarily, for altering the costume. She turned them down. She is either after cash, or pushing an agenda, or both.

I fully support her right to wear the headscarf 24/7 outside of work. That is her business. At work her headscarf is Disney's if it not part of their costume.

Can we let the court decide now?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!

Remove Conditions:

She was asked to leave public view, temporarily, for altering the costume. She turned them down. She is either after cash, or pushing an agenda, or both.

I fully support her right to wear the headscarf 24/7 outside of work. That is her business. At work her headscarf is Disney's if it not part of their costume.

Can we let the court decide now?

She was offered FOUR different positions because she didn't want to wear the costume/uniform in the same way the other Disney cast members wear it. One of the positions offered to her was taking reservations over the telephone.....that seems like an improvement to being a hostess! She was not told to go hide because she is Muslim she was told to wear the costume/uniform like ALL other employees and if you add or remove anything from the costume it is no longer appropriate. On top of that she had worked there for quite a while and never wore hijab then showed up with hijab and started complaining about it when they told her it is not part of the costume. You cannot go work for a private company and expect them to abide by your rules. If she wants to be religious all of the sudden she shouldn't even be working there because I seriously doubt their menu is halal. Should they start serving a halal menu so it doesn't violate her religious beliefs? Refusing to remove hijab in a courtroom, classroom, or workplace where a uniform is not required I can completely agree with. BUT.......Working for a private company that requires you to wear a costume or uniform and demanding to wear the uniform the way you want to wear it is just wrong. Anyway we are all wasting our time trying to explain the way things work to certain people because they will never understand. I just hope they aren't too shocked when she loses her case or it gets thrown out.

Edited by AlwaysWaiting

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

Package received by CSC 6-14-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Biometrics letter received 7-6-2010 dated 7-01-2010

Biometrics appointment 7-23-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview letter recieved 10-13-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Approved and approval letter given at interview 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What does that have to do with my post? Employers *do* make allowances for the religious customs of employees. I don't see outrage about Jewish yarmulkes, or people marking their foreheads for ash Wednesday. Hell, Jewish employees get a different holiday schedule from everyone else. The only point at which these things should not be acceptable is if they contravene health and safety or unreasonably impact the employers business.

Does a headscarf do that?

in 2004, a woman named aicha baha who worked in disney world was prohibited from wearing a headscarf at her job in a souvenir shop that sold jewelry. disney's "compromise" was to send her in her headscarf to an outpost of the same shop off park grounds but still controlled by disney. she sued them, and the case was settled out of court with the terms of the deal sealed. it doesn't sound like aicha was on the losing end of that deal.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Eventually, when our species is faced with extraterrestrial visitors, bigots will have to get over themselves and see headscarved women of the Islamic faith as simply, another human being. Maybe then they'll stop being bigots and obviously... Disney world will have to consider changing its corporate structure to reflect a Terran perspective beyond 1950s America so our alien tourists visit Disney WORLD, not Disney USA.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

She was offered FOUR different positions because she didn't want to wear the costume/uniform in the same way the other Disney cast members wear it. One of the positions offered to her was taking reservations over the telephone.....that seems like an improvement to being a hostess! She was not told to go hide because she is Muslim she was told to wear the costume/uniform like ALL other employees and if you add or remove anything from the costume it is no longer appropriate. On top of that she had worked there for quite a while and never wore hijab then showed up with hijab and started complaining about it when they told her it is not part of the costume. You cannot go work for a private company and expect them to abide by your rules. If she wants to be religious all of the sudden she shouldn't even be working there because I seriously doubt their menu is halal. Should they start serving a halal menu so it doesn't violate her religious beliefs? Refusing to remove hijab in a courtroom, classroom, or workplace where a uniform is not required I can completely agree with. BUT.......Working for a private company that requires you to wear a costume or uniform and demanding to wear the uniform the way you want to wear it is just wrong. Anyway we are all wasting our time trying to explain the way things work to certain people because they will never understand. I just hope they aren't too shocked when she loses her case or it gets thrown out.

she has previously worked with the public, face to face, for over two years, enjoyed that position, and did well enough at that position that she's been maintained there as an employee for this long. whether or not you think taking telephone reservations is a better job or not doesn't matter. this isn't about you, it's about someone else. she brought this issue up with her employer months ago, they initially started working on something, costume-wise, to accommodate her, and then totally dropped the ball by not following through. did they think if they just ignored it or forgot about, the issue would go away? if so, that was a stupid gamble for them to take. this is disney's fault, not hers. they should know better.

nor is it anyone else's place at all to decide what tenets of islam she has to follow to make a legal case. her personal and religious compromises with disney's more than likely non-halal menu have nothing to do with her headscarf. and, a person's past lack of a headscarf have no bearing on her choice to wear a headscarf now. eeoc states that "the legal standard dictates that the time of examination of the sincerity of an employee's religious belief is at the time the conflict with the employer arose" not two years ago, not even two shifts ago.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Disney's image is their business.

A woman with a headscarf (or any other uniform violation for that matter) could create a "what's that on her head, mommy?" and Disney has worked very hard to avert that from happening. Bringing "reality" into their make-believe world isn't going to happen. It can't happen, or else they'll lose their image. And then they'll lose money.

Disney doesn't like to lose money!

there's "reality" like big, visible tattoos and those big earlobe stretchers that disney is free to block out, and then there's protected "reality" of religious practice in the workplace when it is not an unreasonable, undue hardship on them. this scarf just doesn't meet the burden of undue hardship, no matter how totalitarian disney is. the scarf enjoys a different status than tattoos or nailpolish.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

there's "reality" like big, visible tattoos and those big earlobe stretchers that disney is free to block out, and then there's protected "reality" of religious practice in the workplace when it is not an unreasonable, undue hardship on them. this scarf just doesn't meet the burden of undue hardship, no matter how totalitarian disney is. the scarf enjoys a different status than tattoos or nailpolish.

In your mind. You have also come up with new facts from the original one which fit your take on this. Originally she showed up with the headscarf after not wearing one for two years so where did the "months in advance asked for permission an Disney dropped the ball" factoid come from?

Edited by ready4ONE

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

in 2004, a woman named aicha baha who worked in disney world was prohibited from wearing a headscarf at her job in a souvenir shop that sold jewelry. disney's "compromise" was to send her in her headscarf to an outpost of the same shop off park grounds but still controlled by disney. she sued them, and the case was settled out of court with the terms of the deal sealed. it doesn't sound like aicha was on the losing end of that deal.

Being without a job and getting an undisclosed settlement doesn't sound like a "win" at all. It sounds like selling out.

Aicha Baha's case was almost exactly like this one. She worked at Disney for several years as a Cast Member then all the sudden decided to start wearing her religious garb. She too was offered a different position but refused.

Perhaps maybe this girl Imane Boudlal wanted to pull the same scam?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

In your mind. You have also come up with new facts from the original one which fit your take on this. Originally she showed up with the headscarf after not wearing one for two years so where did the "months in advance asked for permission an Disney dropped the ball" factoid come from?

this was covered pages ago. you don't have the contents of this thread memorized? amateur. here's the newstory linked.

She asked her supervisors if she could wear the scarf and was told they would consult with the corporate office, Qazi said. Boudlal didn't hear anything for two months and was then told she could wear a head scarf, but it had to be designed by Disneyland's costume department to comply with the Disney look, Qazi said.

She was fitted for a Disney-supplied head scarf but was not given a date when the garment would be finished and was told she couldn't wear her own hijab in the interim.

Boudlal wore her own hijab to work for the first time Sunday.

"After these two months and this complicated process, she decided to come forward," Qazi said. "She really wanted to be able to wear it on Ramadan." http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/muslim-worker-imane-boudlal-says-disneyland-banned-her-head-scarf/19600225

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif