Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

You are not seeing the point, a company also has the right under federal law to require employees to wear a costume. They did not fire the woman they offered her another job because she couldn't wear the costume due to her religious beliefs. I am muslim, so maybe I should go apply for a job at a winery or brewery then sue them because I don't want to touch the product, maybe I can win and sit in a corner and get paid for doing nothing. It doesn't work that way and the law goes both ways, I have to agree with disney on this one since they didn't fire her, they tried to accommodate her but she wants it all or none. She has the right to wear hijab anywhere she wants to in this country, maybe she should try france from what I understand they can't even wear it to school even if they pay to go to that school. If she got a job in an office, hospital, or anywhere else they would let her wear it because wearing a costume is not required. There isn't anyone who told her you can't wear hijab or you can't be muslim. Maybe she should just go work in Saudi Arabia as a maid and get molested by her master and slapped around by her Saudi mistress.....really she should quit complaining and look for better options, she is just after money and publicity and I hope she loses.

their right to require their employees to wear a costume is still subject to being required to reasonably accommodate their employees rights to practice their religion even in the workplace. yr arguments about muslims and wineries or breweries has nothing to do with restaurant hostesses and and headscarves. it would constitute an unreasonable hardship in that case to have a winery employee who is averse to touching the very product they are selling. but the restaurant that imane boudlal works in is a completely different story. this is the host stand with a uniformed employee-

storytellerspodium.jpg

restaurant hostesses seat customers, hand them menus, and sometimes bring them silverware and ice water. if it were a themed restaurant where cinderella or snow white are supposed to be seating people, and people come there with the express purpose of seeing cinderella and snow white look the exact same as they do in the movies, that's one thing. imane boudlal's job, and physical appearance/image are another thing entirely. no reasonable person can make the argument that the two are the same. and no reasonable person can argue that the sight of a woman in a headscarf would be so jarring for a park guest that it would alter their getting their money's worth from the park admission they paid.

and yeah, she wants it all or none. she wants to be treated with dignity and respect, even though she's a muslim. she wants her rights as a us citizen to be honored, and her religious beliefs accommodated by being allowed to do the same job that she has done well enough to be able to keep her job for the last couple of years. obviously she does her job well, otherwise she would have been canned a long time ago. nothing in her job performance demands that she be removed from her position other than disney's paranoia that park guests don't want menus and ice water handed to them by a muslim.

the france and saudi arabia red herrings are pointless, and have nothing to do with anything in this case. but they reveal an awful lot about yr mindset, and it's anything but flattering.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

My goodness we just go on and on ignoring the fact that accommodations were being made and she rejected them to pursue either money or her radical agenda or both. Nice rant though!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

My goodness we just go on and on ignoring the fact that accommodations were being made and she rejected them to pursue either money or her radical agenda or both. Nice rant though!

yes, some people go on and on ignoring the fact that being told to get out of public view at yr job because yr a muslim is demeaning. being demeaned because of your religious beliefs is discriminatory, and not considered reasonable accommodation based on previous legal precedents. there's nothing radical about calling out disney's bs.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

there's nothing radical about calling out disney's bs.

Disney's image is their business.

A woman with a headscarf (or any other unifrom violation for that matter) could create a "what's that on her head, mommy?" and Disney has worked very hard to avert that from happening. Bringing "reality" into their make-believe world isn't going to happen. It can't happen, or else they'll lose their image. And then they'll lose money.

Disney doesn't like to lose money!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The problem is that Disney will start to discriminate against all Muslims (wearing headscarves or not) because they'll want to avoid the issue. So you'll have someone with a "Muslim-sounding" name who doesn't even intend to wear a headscarf denied a job (in a stealthy way, of course).

Then dont create a fuss, if you wanna work for Disney you work. If it is not working out with you quit and work at place where it works for you.

Why do you like forcing ppl to accept the way you want it?

Disney is not forcing her to work at Disney. Disney never sent a special invitation to her to work at Disney, was she not aware of dress code at Disney?

Are you ok with a non-muslim wearing skimpy cloths in your contries??

When we visit your country we follow their norms, when you are in US you follow US norms.

Timeline

Disneys dress code isn't a "US norm".

It is norm for the company.

Why dont you follow the normal dress code of country, I dont think American dress code includes burkha?

When we are in muslim countries we cover our body as per their norm, simply when you choose to live in US why cant you follow the normal dress code of the country. (Which certainly does not include burkha / hijab) :)

If most muslims learn to accept and adjust with other cultures then there wont be such issues.

Timeline

There is no normal dress code for the country. The only legal requirement is to wear clothes.

ummmm are native american still dressed in cloths made from animal skin? hmmm japanese in their traditional cloths or mexican in their traditional cloths?

Specially when they go to work?

I dont think so, there is a normal accepted dress code at work.

To agree or not to agree is your choice.... lol tomm you will tell me you will attend the Univ in Hijab, how does a prof know who is under hijab and is that same person is writing the test....lol

Be relastic, you can argue whtever u want, u r in free country.... lol

It is norm for the company.

Why dont you follow the normal dress code of country, I dont think American dress code includes burkha?

When we are in muslim countries we cover our body as per their norm, simply when you choose to live in US why cant you follow the normal dress code of the country. (Which certainly does not include burkha / hijab) :)

If most muslims learn to accept and adjust with other cultures then there wont be such issues.

could you please point me to a govt resource for this "American dress code"? i wasnt issued a manual when i was born here (didnt "choose to live" here).

as far as i know, there is public decency requirement to cover intimate areas of the body (and some people BARELY do that) so what is your issue with those of us who choose to cover so we're not getting visually raped every time we walk by a man?

besides B-) wearing proper cover also conceals my .357 nicely :devil:

Edited by nab

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

ummmm are native american still dressed in cloths made from animal skin? hmmm japanese in their traditional cloths or mexican in their traditional cloths?

Specially when they go to work?

To agree or not to agree is your choice.... lol tomm you will tell me you will attend the Univ in Hijab, how does a prof know who is under hijab and is that same person is writing the test....lol

There are dress codes in employment, which employers are willing to accommodate to varying degrees. I wasn't disputing that - I was replying to your assertion that there is a dress code for America. There isn't.

responses inline

ummmm are native american still dressed in cloths made from animal skin? hmmm japanese in their traditional cloths or mexican in their traditional cloths? some do, yes

Specially when they go to work? some do, yes. depends on their job.

To agree or not to agree is your choice.... lol tomm you will tell me you will attend the Univ in Hijab, how does a prof know who is under hijab and is that same person is writing the test....lol so your suggestion would be....? testing taking in underwear?

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Timeline

could you please point me to a govt resource for this "American dress code"? i wasnt issued a manual when i was born here (didnt "choose to live" here).

as far as i know, there is public decency requirement to cover intimate areas of the body (and some people BARELY do that) so what is your issue with those of us who choose to cover so we're not getting visually raped every time we walk by a man?

besides B-) wearing proper cover also conceals my .357 nicely :devil:

You are old enough and choose to live in place where you are more comfortable, no one is forcing you to live here.

When you apply for job and you do not want to stick to the uniform and want company to change policy to fit you, thats outrageous.

hahahah Visually raped........ thats like the only defence you can get???

I have heard this over and over, why do muslim men do when they see a skimply dressed western women, do they close their eyes?

Why didnt allah write some rule for them as well? lol

There are dress codes in employment, which employers are willing to accommodate to varying degrees. I wasn't disputing that - I was replying to your assertion that there is a dress code for America. There isn't.

Yes and thats exactly I am telling you is, when you migrate to another country, which is not your home country then learn to live the way they do in your new country.

If you are in Rome live like Romans, thats an old saying.

You cannot go forcing other ppl around you to change their way of living.

Timeline

One person wearing a headscarf is not forcing anyone to change their way of life.

Today is one person, then tomm there will be another and later another.

If you read the whole article you will see the Disney even offered her some other internal position where she could wear her scarf with same pay and she refused it.

She was hell bent upon the same position and in her way, that is the problem.

Disney did everything to accomodate her religious belief, yet she was pushing Disney to change their ways of working which is wrong.

If Disney accomodates her on scarf then tomm she will say I will not serve this dish and that dish (assuming in working in one of hotel)its against my religion.

So she wants to work too, and that too with her condition, she is clearly forcing her employeer to adopt to her way and its wrong.

Unfortunately some ppl even support her when she is clearly wrong.