Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

Post containing racial slur plus post quoting same removed. You can make your positions clear without resorting to racial epithets, name calling, offensive comments and insults. You can also make them much more clear if you discuss the post rather than the poster.

But it's much more fun to insult people, especially ones that deserve it. I am trying to behave here, but the therapy is expensive. :devil: :devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I just read the article that she was offered another job at the same pay but refused and still wanted to sue them. Just ridiculous

"Even though the “reasonable accommodation” alternative job was offered with the same pay, on August 18th, Imane Boudlal filed a complaint against Disney with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission - the federal agency that enforces anti-discrimination laws in the workplace."

Seems she is just trying to make trouble....if she needs to work at for Disney that bad just take the other job they offered.

a job that was out of public view. when previously she had worked in public view. it's insulting and degrading to be asked to work out of public view for no other reason than that customers are now going to see that a disney employee is muslim and believes in covering her head, if only during ramadan. the equal employment opportunity commission does NOT consider asking employees who work in public view to be shuttered away to an out of sight from the public position for the express purpose of hiding that employee's religious clothing from the public. it's demeaning.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

a job that was out of public view. when previously she had worked in public view. it's insulting and degrading to be asked to work out of public view for no other reason than that customers are now going to see that a disney employee is muslim and believes in covering her head, if only during ramadan. the equal employment opportunity commission does NOT consider asking employees who work in public view to be shuttered away to an out of sight from the public position for the express purpose of hiding that employee's religious clothing from the public. it's demeaning.

It is not about her being muslim, it is about her not wanting to wear the required COSTUME. The hijab is not part of the costume so she cannot do this job since it is against her religion to take off the hijab in public. She was offered another job at the same pay and a job is a job is a job. If she doesn't like it she should open her own business, take the other job they offered, or go work somewhere that a costume is not required since she is not allowed remove her hijab in public. This has nothing to do with her constitutional rights, she was not fired for wearing hijab or being muslim, they simply offered her another job where a costume was not the requirement and she is throwing a hissy fit and making a scene for not having it 100 percent her way.

Edited by AlwaysWaiting

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

Package received by CSC 6-14-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Biometrics letter received 7-6-2010 dated 7-01-2010

Biometrics appointment 7-23-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview letter recieved 10-13-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Approved and approval letter given at interview 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Filed: Timeline

I was going to suggest she dress up as Jasmine from Aladdin because she has a scarf thingy, but then I googled a pic and was reminded she also has a bare stomach sooooooooooo I guess that won't work :lol:

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

As has been said over and over again there is indeed another, and to many quite valid, reason this gal was asked to remove the head scarf or work in back. It was done because Disney has put their wait staff in themed costume and the scarf detracted from that theme.

As you say the headscarf is a proclamation of Muslim belief. As such it is proselytizing and not so ok on that score either.

Let's turn this around. The worker was Mormon instead of Muslim. The worker would likely be ok wearing their magic underwear, but if they passed out copies of The Watchtower with their menus they would be proselytizing. Not ok even though spreading the word has long been a portion of their belief system. Wouldn't you agree?

Edited by ready4ONE

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

It is not about her being muslim, it is about her not wanting to wear the required COSTUME. The hijab is not part of the costume so she cannot do this job since it is against her religion to take off the hijab in public. She was offered another job at the same pay and a job is a job is a job. If she doesn't like it she should open her own business, take the other job they offered, or go work somewhere that a costume is not required since she is not allowed remove her hijab in public. This has nothing to do with her constitutional rights, she was not fired for wearing hijab or being muslim, they simply offered her another job where a costume was not the requirement and she is throwing a hissy fit and making a scene for not having it 100 percent her way.

the federal government believes otherwise. they don't think a job is a job is a job. the legal precedent says she gets to keep her original job, regardless of her religion, and not be forced to accept being shuttered away in the back like she's an embarrassment to them now.

if she doesn't like that disney refuses to honor her rights under title VII, then she also has the right to bring the issue before a judge so they will be forced to honor her rights. no matter how much you want to degrade the process, and degrade her humanity because she has the nerve to stand up to disney's idiocy in this case, it is still her right to demand that her most basic human rights be honored.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

the federal government believes otherwise. they don't think a job is a job is a job. the legal precedent says she gets to keep her original job, regardless of her religion, and not be forced to accept being shuttered away in the back like she's an embarrassment to them now.

if she doesn't like that disney refuses to honor her rights under title VII, then she also has the right to bring the issue before a judge so they will be forced to honor her rights. no matter how much you want to degrade the process, and degrade her humanity because she has the nerve to stand up to disney's idiocy in this case, it is still her right to demand that her most basic human rights be honored.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

You are not seeing the point, a company also has the right under federal law to require employees to wear a costume. They did not fire the woman they offered her another job because she couldn't wear the costume due to her religious beliefs. I am muslim, so maybe I should go apply for a job at a winery or brewery then sue them because I don't want to touch the product, maybe I can win and sit in a corner and get paid for doing nothing. It doesn't work that way and the law goes both ways, I have to agree with disney on this one since they didn't fire her, they tried to accommodate her but she wants it all or none. She has the right to wear hijab anywhere she wants to in this country, maybe she should try france from what I understand they can't even wear it to school even if they pay to go to that school. If she got a job in an office, hospital, or anywhere else they would let her wear it because wearing a costume is not required. There isn't anyone who told her you can't wear hijab or you can't be muslim. Maybe she should just go work in Saudi Arabia as a maid and get molested by her master and slapped around by her Saudi mistress.....really she should quit complaining and look for better options, she is just after money and publicity and I hope she loses.

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

You are not seeing the point, a company also has the right under federal law to require employees to wear a costume. They did not fire the woman they offered her another job because she couldn't wear the costume due to her religious beliefs. I am muslim, so maybe I should go apply for a job at a winery or brewery then sue them because I don't want to touch the product, maybe I can win and sit in a corner and get paid for doing nothing. It doesn't work that way and the law goes both ways, I have to agree with disney on this one since they didn't fire her, they tried to accommodate her but she wants it all or none. She has the right to wear hijab anywhere she wants to in this country, maybe she should try france from what I understand they can't even wear it to school even if they pay to go to that school. If she got a job in an office, hospital, or anywhere else they would let her wear it because wearing a costume is not required. There isn't anyone who told her you can't wear hijab or you can't be muslim. Maybe she should just go work in Saudi Arabia as a maid and get molested by her master and slapped around by her Saudi mistress.....really she should quit complaining and look for better options, she is just after money and publicity and I hope she loses.

:thumbs: You put this in the proper perspective. I was at AUB many moons ago and I

am not unfamiliar with how things work in the MIddle East. Over there, there is

so much internal debate and controversey within each Arab country that it's

amazing how they have any time left over to complain about Israel. I suspect

that hasn't changed much in 40 years. Jews and Arabs are "cousins" so there

is just as much debate over religion & politics in Israel too. They are really

very much alike because they both have a strong desire to be right about everything.

You could say Americans are like that too because they are often perceived as

throwing their weight around and meddling in other countries' affairs.

This, however is a domestic business issue, not an international or religious one.

Americans often take their freedoms for granted and sometimes those not familiar

with how things work here take myopic self-serving views of what constitutes "a right."

People with only a superficial understanding have a way of taking things far to literally,

especially if their conclusions support their "case."

I would hope she benefits from this as a learning experience but I'm not holding my breath.

My wife is filling out endless job application forms and one of them has this passage:

"In consideration of my employment, I agree to conform to the rules and standards of the

Company. I further agree that my employment can be terminated at will, or my compensation

altered at will by the Company, with or without cause, and with or without notice at any time,

either at my option or at the option of the company...."

I doubt that there are many companies that do not have such statements in their standard contracts.

A company can set standards of dress and behavior while the employee is at work.

The head scarf the woman was wearing is very similar to a head scarf that my mom

has often worn. In the workplace it's just headgear, no religious connotations.

If she decides to wear a fake arrow on her head and call it a religious statement,

she's free to do that on her own time.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I was going to suggest she dress up as Jasmine from Aladdin because she has a scarf thingy, but then I googled a pic and was reminded she also has a bare stomach sooooooooooo I guess that won't work :lol:

I suggested that about 10 pages ago but hey, way to read the whole thread!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Let's turn this around. The worker was Mormon instead of Muslim. The worker would likely be ok wearing their magic underwear, but if they passed out copies of The Watchtower with their menus they would be proselytizing. Not ok even though spreading the word has long been a portion of their belief system. Wouldn't you agree?

Just in the interest of keeping things accurate, The Watchtower is a Jehovah's Witnesses publication, not LDS. They'd be more likely to hand out the Book of Mormon.

06/18/10 Married

08/12/10 - Day 0 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 (USPS Express Mail)

08/13/10 - Day 1 - Delivery Confirmation at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

08/20/10 - Day 8 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) confirmation of acceptance/NOA issued for I-130, I-485, I-765

10/09/10 - Day 58 - EAD (I-765) case visible online, others still not showing up.

10/21/10 - Day 70 - Spoke to 2nd-tier support, got a "referral" opened on the biometrics appointment (as in, why isn't there one yet?)

10/29/10 - Day 78 - Biometrics appt letter received (scheduled for November 18 in Alexandria)

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Successful Walk-In Biometrics at Alexandria, VA

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered"

11/09/10 - Day 89 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered" (same text, same everything, just a second notice)

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Email/SMS notice of "EAD Approved"

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Received EAD card in mail (same day as notification of approval, no other snail mail notices)

12/07/10 - Day 117 - AOS Interview letter received (scheduled for January 10, 2011)

01/10/11 - Day 153 - AOS Interview complete - verbally approved, but we're not believing it until the card shows up.

01/14/11 - Day 157 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) notification of approval of I-485

01/15/11 - Day 158 - Received notice of I-485 approval in mail

01/18/11 - Day 161 - Received Green Card in mail!

I have an even better idea! Maybe she should ask to play Tinkerbell but demand that she be able to wear hijab and abaya instead of the Tinkerbell costume because it is her right.

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Just in the interest of keeping things accurate, The Watchtower is a Jehovah's Witnesses publication, not LDS. They'd be more likely to hand out the Book of Mormon.

Excellent point! Do they both wear magic underwear?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Excellent point! Do they both wear magic underwear?

Nope. The Jehovah's Witnesses' big thing is not celebrating holidays or birthdays (as I recall the only thing they recognize is marriage anniversaries).

06/18/10 Married

08/12/10 - Day 0 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 (USPS Express Mail)

08/13/10 - Day 1 - Delivery Confirmation at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

08/20/10 - Day 8 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) confirmation of acceptance/NOA issued for I-130, I-485, I-765

10/09/10 - Day 58 - EAD (I-765) case visible online, others still not showing up.

10/21/10 - Day 70 - Spoke to 2nd-tier support, got a "referral" opened on the biometrics appointment (as in, why isn't there one yet?)

10/29/10 - Day 78 - Biometrics appt letter received (scheduled for November 18 in Alexandria)

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Successful Walk-In Biometrics at Alexandria, VA

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered"

11/09/10 - Day 89 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered" (same text, same everything, just a second notice)

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Email/SMS notice of "EAD Approved"

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Received EAD card in mail (same day as notification of approval, no other snail mail notices)

12/07/10 - Day 117 - AOS Interview letter received (scheduled for January 10, 2011)

01/10/11 - Day 153 - AOS Interview complete - verbally approved, but we're not believing it until the card shows up.

01/14/11 - Day 157 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) notification of approval of I-485

01/15/11 - Day 158 - Received notice of I-485 approval in mail

01/18/11 - Day 161 - Received Green Card in mail!