Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

I hear ya.

The UK news reads like "bizzaro world" the way they have surrendered.

this thread reads like it too...

please read your own link thoroughly so that you might come to understand.

Big whoop, I don't know when Ramadan is.

And get this...even though I missed the date, you still missed the concept. And pointing that out mitigates nothing.

Stop taking things so literally and try to understand the concept of what was said. kthxbai

i told you when and still you dont know? :unsure::help:

okie dokie... :whistle:

Edited by nab

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
while i dont always agree with slim (you remind me waaaay too much of an ex = and an ex is an ex for a REASON, or many reasons in my case LOL) this made me chuckle :P i am muslim and wear hijab and thought this was humorous... but maybe that's because i wear an invisible tiara at all times :whistle: anyway, lighten up people

So he was handsome, charming, witty.... and pleasured you in ways you can't type on VJ?

don't Hooters workers have to dress a certain way? I can't see them allowing much diversity in dress religious or not. Or perhaps they have some modest version of outfit I'm not aware of lol

Yes, they have to dress a certain way. There is no "modest version" of their outfit however they have a special pregnancy uniform and if it's too cold they can don a T-Shirt. The Hostess, cooks and managers have more conservative uniforms. The way Hooters (and Disney) is permitted to to this is their employees are playing a role and are hired specifically for that role. Part of that role includes wearing a uniform and that's what allows them to designate what employees can - and cannot - wear while performing their duties.

That's also what gives them the legal authority to terminate employees for violating their uniform policies. Hooters doesn't have waitresses or servers, they have Hooters Girls. Disney doesn't have hostesses, they have Cast Members.

Then apart from one is a family setting and one is not they're both American workplaces.

Hooters is a family restaurant. Disney has family restaurants at their parks. What's the difference?

Legally speaking... none.

Suggesting that a Sikh turbaned man would only be acceptable within certain parameters when art is all about challenging perceptions is quite the most absurd thing I have ever read.

So that Sikh would've worked better in a black play? For that matter, why didn't they keep the Brando type as the lead and go with all blacks for the rest of it? They could've had all whites with a black lead, right?

I see your point, but it doesn't work here. You can't replace "one" part of a play, especially a lead, and expect nobody's going to notice.

Why do they get to hire people to a specific look and wearing clothes only they want and another business does not? It is still serving food, the principle of non discrimination should be the same shouldn't it?

Every business has the right to enforce uniform standards provided they're applicable to the job.

Hooters is not going to accommodate for Claire, of the "xyz" religion who's required to wear golden pantaloons as her faith requires it. If they are allowed to enforce this then why isn't Disney?

What laws exist that allow one workplace to use a hiring and dress protocol exempt from discrimination?

Laws that say a business can hire to fill a specific role for image or performance. Hooters Girl and Cast Member are equally protected.

I'm not sure how it gets allowed in the first place, I can't think of many businesses that get the rights to just hire people who fit a certain profile just because it's what they want to show. I'm not going to pretend I know diddly squat about employment laws though.

Businesses hire/fire people all the time based on physical characteristics or certain looks. Some places, you have to have a good phone voice or be able to lift 50 lbs. Others, you have to fit into small orange shorts or wear a costume to work every day. If it's part of the job, businesses have to make it equally available to everyone, but they are allowed to disqualify folks who can't perform the job required.

unless they had a specific theme in the restaurant (I don't know like Lion King or something, I've never been there) then it is neither interfering with the job or the customers.

It is interfering, regardless of the theme, because she's not following the required uniform guidelines. It has nothing to do with whether or not it's a religious item, the fact that it's ANY item is what's violating their policy. She has no right to do that and keep her job.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

So he was handsome, charming, witty.... and pleasured you in ways you can't type on VJ?

perhaps :whistle:

too bad his bad habits outweighed the good ... he's been through 4 wives now and MANY many many GFs. it's painful to see him on a road of self-destruction.

but anyway :ot2:

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Explain how she is 'imposing' her faith on her employer Danno. She is not demanding Disney requires all female employees to wear headscarves during ramadan, she is not asking her employee to recognize her symbolic use of the headscarf, she is simply asking to be able to wear a headscarf because doing so is meaningful in terms of her religious faith at this time.

I don't know what you are talking about regarding demands made to fire employees for smoking at home, so these people are not the same as the people who support legislation that fights religious discrimination in the workplace.

The Employer is trying to create an atmosphere with Costumes.... if we were to follow your lead this would be destroyed by various people altering the Costume.

DO you also expert a film maker to also adjust wardrobe on the set for an Amish or muslim Actress?

As for smoking: DO you agree an employer such as a School has the right to fire an employee if they are discovered to be smokers away from the job?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

The Employer is trying to create an atmosphere with Costumes.... if we were to follow your lead this would be destroyed by various people altering the Costume.

DO you also expert a film maker to also adjust wardrobe on the set for an Amish or muslim Actress?

As for smoking: DO you agree an employer such as a School has the right to fire an employee if they are discovered to be smokers away from the job?

You didn't answer my question, you simply made another statement. I asked you how this employee was imposing her faith on her employer? Care to take a stab at it this time?

Good grief, no Danno, I don't think smoking in your own home should result in being fired from a job unless there is some material reason why an employee must not smoke period - I can't imagine there would be but surprisingly I don't know everything about everything.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

You didn't answer my question, you simply made another statement. I asked you how this employee was imposing her faith on her employer? Care to take a stab at it this time?

Good grief, no Danno, I don't think smoking in your own home should result in being fired from a job unless there is some material reason why an employee must not smoke period - I can't imagine there would be but surprisingly I don't know everything about everything.

MC I clearly answered your question.

When you the employer try to create a costumed atmosphere and your employee can insist her Amish or Muslim dress be incorporated.....that is an IMPOSITION.

Not sure why you don't get that.

As for smoking, again you are uninformed on basic workplace matters.

"Recently, a number of companies, including Weyco and The Scotts Company, have instituted policies to terminate smokers, even if those persons do not smoke at work. The reason cited by companies such as Weyco and Scotts, for adoption of these policies is increased healthcare costs. Click here for more examples. Both liberal and conservative civil liberties groups have denounced these policies as an improper invasion of employee’s rights to conduct activities on their off hours.(For more information, click here)"

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/smoking/T0I5S2EG3I85JBR03

Edited by Danno

William Penn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
When you the employer try to create a costumed atmosphere and your employee can insist her Amish or Muslim dress be incorporated.....that is an IMPOSITION.

I love your fancy view of the employer-employee relationship. Out of line with what constitutes reality, but hey... its Dannologic after all.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A costume atmosphere at a food stand? Not when I went to Disneyland. There's a uniform but that's about it. You don't buy hot dogs from someone in a mickey mouse outfit.

Correct. From that side of things, that headscarf is clearly something additional to the normal costume. And therein lies the problem. The bigots will have a problem with it as much as the corporate image that sets the dress code.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

MC I clearly answered your question.

Not sure why you don't get that.

As for smoking, again you are uninformed on basic workplace matters.

"Recently, a number of companies, including Weyco and The Scotts Company, have instituted policies to terminate smokers, even if those persons do not smoke at work. The reason cited by companies such as Weyco and Scotts, for adoption of these policies is increased healthcare costs. Click here for more examples. Both liberal and conservative civil liberties groups have denounced these policies as an improper invasion of employee's rights to conduct activities on their off hours.(For more information, click here)"

http://www.topix.com...I5S2EG3I85JBR03

I said I wasn't aware of the smoking issue, nor do I agree with it, and? It was you who said that the people who don't agree with religious discrimination in the work place are the same people who want to have people fired for smoking at home, and I have proved that that is not true.

No, Danno, that is not imposition of faith. I asked you to explain your proposition that wearing a headscarf is an imposition of faith on an employer. Yet again you have failed to do so.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Sharia doesn't strictly prohibit interest. Please don't spread lies about things you know nothing about.

Islamic banking does not prohibit interest, but the rules upon which contracts are written

must conform to the perceptions regarding "usury" in the Koran. There are wide

differences regarding this and sometimes a bank pretends to be Islamic when in

fact all it has is an Islamic name.

From the chart in the link, Islamic banking is neither better or worse than our style of banking.

In fact it may be better from the standpoint of the customer.

Off-Topic2.gif

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline

A costume atmosphere at a food stand? Not when I went to Disneyland. There's a uniform but that's about it. You don't buy hot dogs from someone in a mickey mouse outfit.

Ahh Paul did you even bother to watch the clip?

Take note of the Costume.

I've been to Disney a few times myself and noted each area seemed to have costumed workers.... according to the location of the eatery.

According to the employer.... She is actually an "On-stage" performer.

http://www.breitbart.tv/muslim-employee-disney-banned-head-scarf/

... but none of these facts will deter you I'm sure.

William Penn

Timeline

I said I wasn't aware of the smoking issue, nor do I agree with it, and?

No, Danno, that is not imposition of faith. I asked you to explain your proposition that wearing a headscarf is an imposition of faith on an employer. Yet again you have failed to do so.

The Amish are required to "dress plain" there are many faiths which require various clothing rules... you however can not see where all this leads for an employer.

Three strikes and you are out.

Correct. From that side of things, that headscarf is clearly something additional to the normal costume. And therein lies the problem. The bigots will have a problem with it as much as the corporate image that sets the dress code.

And theres that favorite slur again. :thumbs:

William Penn