Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

Great example with hooters. Next they are going to work there and claim it's against their Muslim Beliefs. How about serving Alcohol or pork at a restaurant? particularly during Ramadan. There was one guy who sued Tesco in the UK, because he refused to carry alcohol.

Where does it stop really?

I'm pretty sure you won't find many, if any, Muslim ladies trying to work at Hooters.

But since your branching out, I've heard of Christians who work in pharmacies who have refused to give out birth control. That's kind of getting out some though because not serving alcohol and not selling birth control is affecting customers and this does not.

Edited by KaiserD
mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Yes. At no point in that post did I even mention Muslims.

You can read it as: Hooters is not going to accommodate for Claire, of the "xyz" religion who's required to wear golden pantaloons as her faith requires it. If they are allowed to enforce this then why isn't Disney?

What laws exist that allow one workplace to use a hiring and dress protocol exempt from discrimination?

I'm not sure how it gets allowed in the first place, I can't think of many businesses that get the rights to just hire people who fit a certain profile just because it's what they want to show. I'm not going to pretend I know diddly squat about employment laws though.

The whole possibility about her making the most out of the publicity I agree has merit if they attempted to make concessions for her (and if that's the case won't she lose the lawsuit anyway?)but that aside and just focusing on the issue unless they had a specific theme in the restaurant (I don't know like Lion King or something, I've never been there) then it is neither interfering with the job or the customers.

It reminds me of a woman who worked for BA who almost got dismissed because she refused to take off her small, obscure crucifix.

I wonder if it has less to do with discrimination and a whole deal more about micromanaging.

this doesn't answer all of yr questions, but it's still an interesting read. http://www.bankersonline.com/operations/gp_appearance.html

Great example with hooters. Next they are going to work there and claim it's against their Muslim Beliefs. How about serving Alcohol or pork at a restaurant? particularly during Ramadan. There was one guy who sued Tesco in the UK, because he refused to carry alcohol.

Where does it stop really?

perpetually three steps behind, and ever struggling to keep up... :rolleyes:

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if you can make a legitimate case that wearing shorts is a recognized aspect of your religious beliefs then you are free to attempt to argue that with your employer, and request they make reasonable accommodations for your religious beliefs. headscarves are recognized as being an aspect of many women's interpretation of their religion and therefore their employers have to make accommodations for them in this country. there is established precedent for it. the reasonable accommodation part comes after it's been established that the practice is a recognized, legitimate aspect of their religious beliefs. that's why the job interference part is relevant for imane boudlal, and not you and your shorts. even though they might be a lot more comfy in august than a business suit or whatever.

{Sorry, this isn't a valid arguement to the topic] I think it was in the 1980s that a group prisoners in California formed a religion that they said required them to eat steaks 2 times a day. Prison system backed by the courts said it was nice try but No.

No! I can't make any such arguement for shorts.

this doesn't answer all of yr questions, but it's still an interesting read. http://www.bankersonline.com/operations/gp_appearance.html

That was really interesting, thanks!

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

{Sorry, this isn't a valid arguement to the topic] I think it was in the 1980s that a group prisoners in California formed a religion that they said required them to eat steaks 2 times a day. Prison system backed by the courts said it was nice try but No.

No! I can't make any such arguement for shorts.

that's ok! it's a great story anyways. also not a valid argument to the topic, but interesting nevertheless.

That was really interesting, thanks!

i thought so too, yr welcome.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

soemthing to keep in mind as well, private companies are held to a different standard than are publicly held becasue stockholders are at risk of losing money if a public company messes up and gets sued... private company can do whatever they like and to heck with EEOC. BTDT, got the t-shirt.

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

I'm pretty sure you won't find many, if any, Muslim ladies trying to work at Hooters.

But since your branching out, I've heard of Christians who work in pharmacies who have refused to give out birth control. That's kind of getting out some though because not serving alcohol and not selling birth control is affecting customers and this does not.

If it's his own pharmacy, he has every right to do as he pleases with it. What right do I have or should I have to force a private individual to cater for me? Next Muslims are going to sue banks for paying interest, as Sharia strictly prohibits it. Once again, I have no problem with Islamic banks doing as they please, but do not expect everyone to change their way of life to cater for you.

There is a reason why more and more countries in Europe are legislating against this. Of course the UK is doing the opposite but look where that has gotten them. I remember reading about a case of a Muslim girl attending a private Christian school in the UK, and demanded they change their uniform rules. UK courts ruled in favor of the girl of course. Then again, these are the same courts that assume a guy who has sex with a ten year old is not pedophile, because she apparently looks older.

Edited by Heracles

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

i don't think this would be quite the right fit for her either. she wears a half-shirt, has cleavage, and wears a tiara, not a hijab.

See? Now your the biggot for claiming this woman doesn't have a good enough body to be a descent Jasmin!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

See? Now your the biggot for claiming this woman doesn't have a good enough body to be a descent Jasmin!

:lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Calling someone a witch based on their determination to wear a headscarf for religious reasons is rather petty but I expect no less from those who can not see the muslims for the terrorists.

The 'witch' comment came from an early post in this thread by somebody else. Try to keep up!:whistle:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If it's his own pharmacy, he has every right to do as he pleases with it. What right do I have or should I have to force a private individual to cater for me? Next Muslims are going to sue banks for paying interest, as Sharia strictly prohibits it. Once again, I have no problem with Islamic banks doing as they please, but do not expect everyone to change their way of life to cater for you.

There is a reason why more and more countries in Europe are legislating against this. Of course the UK is doing the opposite but look where that has gotten them. I remember reading about a case of a Muslim girl attending a private Christian school in the UK, and demanded they change their uniform rules. UK courts ruled in favor of the girl of course. Then again, these are the same courts that assume a guy who has sex with a ten year old is not pedophile, because she apparently looks older.

I hear ya.

The UK news reads like "bizzaro world" the way they have surrendered.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

The thing I find funny with most of those who would support this women's right to impose her faith..... on her Employer,

These are the same people who support the rights of "employers" in firing employees if they are found to be "smokers".... at HOME.

:wow:

Explain how she is 'imposing' her faith on her employer Danno. She is not demanding Disney requires all female employees to wear headscarves during ramadan, she is not asking her employee to recognize her symbolic use of the headscarf, she is simply asking to be able to wear a headscarf because doing so is meaningful in terms of her religious faith at this time.

I don't know what you are talking about regarding demands made to fire employees for smoking at home, so these people are not the same as the people who support legislation that fights religious discrimination in the workplace.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Sharia doesn't strictly prohibit interest. Please don't spread lies about things you know nothing about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_banking

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Timeline

really... hmmmm :P

how's that research on "ramadan" going for you?

Big whoop, I don't know when Ramadan is.

And get this...even though I missed the date, you still missed the concept. And pointing that out mitigates nothing.

Stop taking things so literally and try to understand the concept of what was said. kthxbai