Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The fact of the matter is, it's Disney's right to set their costume dress code. If you want to all of a sudden practice your faith by wearing a scarf, even though previously for several years, she didn't, well...you can't expect mountains moved overnight. Who knows why it took so long? Maybe the costume makers are busy, I dunno. The bottom line is, she wanted it for Ramadan all of a sudden, and now she's wearing it in interviews...it's all for lawsuit's sake imo.

QFT

If she had worn the hijab during her employment interview, it would be a completely different matter.

Not to hijack the thread, but your avatar makes me literally :rofl: I'd explain, but I might incur another whacking from the ban stick.

I wonder what the stance of sharia law is on lawsuits like this.

What's she doing out working in the first place?

What was she thinking coming into contact with all those men and not being covered?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline

QFT

If she had worn the hijab during her employment interview, it would be a completely different matter.

Not to hijack the thread, but your avatar makes me literally :rofl: I'd explain, but I might incur another whacking from the ban stick.

PM me, now I wanna know! :lol:

A (somewhat) famous side note:

Male Sikhs carry a ceremonial/ornamental knife, called a Kirpan

The kirpan is but one of five equally important symbols that baptized Sikhs must carry on their body from their Baptism until their death.

The moral of the story is, when you meet a Sikh, don't laugh at the funny hat.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

If good beer is involved, you're sharing.

Life's too short to drink bad beer. Except after a hockey game, when Miller Lite does just fine. Or maybe when someone else is paying...

06/18/10 Married

08/12/10 - Day 0 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 (USPS Express Mail)

08/13/10 - Day 1 - Delivery Confirmation at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

08/20/10 - Day 8 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) confirmation of acceptance/NOA issued for I-130, I-485, I-765

10/09/10 - Day 58 - EAD (I-765) case visible online, others still not showing up.

10/21/10 - Day 70 - Spoke to 2nd-tier support, got a "referral" opened on the biometrics appointment (as in, why isn't there one yet?)

10/29/10 - Day 78 - Biometrics appt letter received (scheduled for November 18 in Alexandria)

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Successful Walk-In Biometrics at Alexandria, VA

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered"

11/09/10 - Day 89 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered" (same text, same everything, just a second notice)

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Email/SMS notice of "EAD Approved"

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Received EAD card in mail (same day as notification of approval, no other snail mail notices)

12/07/10 - Day 117 - AOS Interview letter received (scheduled for January 10, 2011)

01/10/11 - Day 153 - AOS Interview complete - verbally approved, but we're not believing it until the card shows up.

01/14/11 - Day 157 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) notification of approval of I-485

01/15/11 - Day 158 - Received notice of I-485 approval in mail

01/18/11 - Day 161 - Received Green Card in mail!

Most americans think Sikhs look like all the other terrorists - especially when they're carrying that knife.

"It was some A-rab with a big knife and one of those rags on is head."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline

A (somewhat) famous side note:

Male Sikhs carry a ceremonial/ornamental knife, called a Kirpan

It wasn't intended to be ornamental. It was intended to be used for actual combat. In contemporary India, however, people are scared of big sharp swords (yes, sword - it wasn't a knife) in public so it's morphed into a little ornamental thing you couldn't cut a honeydew with.

Edited by Legacy member

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

This reminds me of the American convert to Islam in Florida that insisted on having her drivers' license photo made with her burka(?) that covered her face.

She lost that battle.

This reminds me of the American convert to Islam in Florida that insisted on having her drivers' license photo made with her burka(?) that covered her face.

She lost that battle.

Absolutely.

Fashion statement? Hardly.

Religious persecution? Give me a break.

Plea at hearing for speeding ticket violation - "my burka was on backwards & I couldn't see the spedometer."

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline

Oh, one more thing....Disney offered her alternatives...work behind the scenes, implement a hat in the costume....none of that was good enough for her, which tells me this is more about a lawsuit than an actual issue.

Yup - that's where I was smelling some 'backroom guidance' ... This isn't about her, she's been picked by a group to 'make a stand'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Yup - that's where I was smelling some 'backroom guidance' ... This isn't about her, she's been picked by a group to 'make a stand'.

Yeah, it seems she's looking to be a 'martyr' for a cause.

This reminds me of the American convert to Islam in Florida

You probably didn't mean it in this way, but it just reminded me of a pet-peeve of mine.

American is a nationality. Christianity is a religion. Caucasian is a race.

You have no idea how many times I've heard stuff like:

"Is she white?"

"No, she's Muslim"

:bonk:

Yeah, it seems she's looking to be a 'martyr' for a cause.

It may prove to be the case, but the question asked was, "can Disney prevent someone from wearing a headscarf when that headscarf is being worn for religious reasons merely because it does not "look right" when added to a Disney costume that the employees are required to wear". If one can prove that the wearing of the headscarf is indeed a religious practice and that failure to allow the wearing of it is discriminatory, it really doesn't matter what suspicions one has of her motives.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .