Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Haven't read all the comments yet, but I find two things interesting:

1 - she worked for Disney for years, this is the first time she's wanted to wear the scarf. Where was her religious values last Ramadan?

2 - if she only wanted to wear it for Ramadan, why is she wearing it in the interview? Methinks it's for publicity's sake.

As an aside, I have a protected right to wear a bikini and say it's because of my religion....I don't have that right to wear it at my office while trying to sell houses.

What I want to know is why doesn't she just ask for a transfer to the Princess Jasmine department?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, we covered this a few pages back. She entered an agreement willingly. Her choice of venue to effect change is odd, IMO, but her case *may* have some merit.

Well, I hope that the conservatives who show their outrage over her demanding to wear a hijab extend their outrage to a yarmulke, and various christian displays of faith. I salute the conservatives outrage over this to move us toward becoming a secular nation. :lol:

What I want to know is why doesn't she just ask for a transfer to the Princess Jasmine department?

I know you're attempting to be humorous slim, but do you at least see the tinge of bigotry in your statement there?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, I hope that the conservatives who show their outrage over her demanding to wear a hijab extend their outrage to a yarmulke, and various christian displays of faith. I salute the conservatives outrage over this to move us toward becoming a secular nation. :lol:

I know you're attempting to be humorous slim, but do you at least see the tinge of bigotry in your statement there?

Ironic indeed huh?

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Me a bigot? Preposterous!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

http://www.breitbart.tv/muslim-employee-disney-banned-head-scarf/

When you work in a themed restaurant (as most all of Disney's are) should you be have the right to wear additional items such as turbans head scarfs, burkas ,,just because they are important to you?

IMO, no. But I don't know what the law is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh, one more thing....Disney offered her alternatives...work behind the scenes, implement a hat in the costume....none of that was good enough for her, which tells me this is more about a lawsuit than an actual issue.

Could be the case.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

You missed the ball again.

here let me pitch it slower.

After agreeing to the dress code and then working for several seasons under it she "discovered" a need to add a head covering to her costume.

It's not a stretch to suppose next season her faith might require her to be more modest......as many Muslims are.

This has nothing to do with our differing faiths Cleo on the whole I have a lot more in common with Most Muslims than I do with far left atheists like you :)

This is about Disney trying to create an atmosphere through costume. BY allowing this lady to alter the costume it opens the door for others too as well.

The rights of her and others to follow their faith should not dominate...... ultimately ruin these settings.

Yes we can chalk this up to another daily example of how Diversity has a big down side... and it only seems to grow as these conflicts are on the front pages every day.

DId you fart again?

When doing so it's polite to excuse yourself.

FU

:P

'She discovered a need' - how charming you are. Danno, you are a man of faith, does your faith remain exactly the same on all issues at all times? In my experience, faith is NOT a constant, it evolves and changes and there is nothing new or unusual about a young person changing their opinion about what is intrinsic to their belief and what isn't. You are not the arbiter of her sincerity, nor are you the arbiter on where the line is regarding what religious practices break the laws on discrimination. Your adamant refusal to even contemplate a change in that direction does betray your discomfort with a particular faith, no matter if you do have more in common with them than you do with me - as if I care - just to be clear, I don't.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh, one more thing....Disney offered her alternatives...work behind the scenes, implement a hat in the costume....none of that was good enough for her, which tells me this is more about a lawsuit than an actual issue.

Well, that is half true Lisa. Disney did offer her the option to work behind the scenes, and they did offer to fit her with something that could accomodate her hijab. However, after they did a fitting, 3 months passed and nothing had been done.

You can't sue sharia for big bucks like you can Disney.

Русский форум член.

Well, that is half true Lisa. Disney did offer her the option to work behind the scenes, and they did offer to fit her with something that could accomodate her hijab. However, after they did a fitting, 3 months passed and nothing had been done.

The fact of the matter is, it's Disney's right to set their costume dress code. If you want to all of a sudden practice your faith by wearing a scarf, even though previously for several years, she didn't, well...you can't expect mountains moved overnight. Who knows why it took so long? Maybe the costume makers are busy, I dunno. The bottom line is, she wanted it for Ramadan all of a sudden, and now she's wearing it in interviews...it's all for lawsuit's sake imo.