Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

in this particular instance, it's part of being an american. other people have rights, whether you like them or not. if you don't like this aspect of the us, then go about the proper channels to change it. instead of banging on and on in an internet forum.

really? then why did a muslim woman win her case against alamo rent a car when they wouldnt let her wear a headscarf while waiting on customers? why do muslim men in newark's police dept have the right to wear beards for religious reasons even though it goes against their dress code? what are your qualifications vs. those of the ruling judges there?

i would hazard a guess on the alamo thing... she previously wore for 2yrs during Ramadan? if the company has always allowed it then now saying no it seems targeted to her specifically and that's a big no-no.

and just for the record, i have never heard the girl in question was a 'restaurant hostess'... in every report i've seen that mentioned what the job is they say she is a cast member 'on stage'. i'm curious where you got the hostess thing, i'd like to read that article, perhaps it has more info.

thanks

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

http://www.breitbart.tv/muslim-employee-disney-banned-head-scarf/

When you work in a themed restaurant (as most all of Disney's are) should you be have the right to wear additional items such as turbans head scarfs, burkas ,,just because they are important to you?

I can imagine Mickey with a WWI German "spiked" helmet.

Achtung, boys & girls!

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

and just for the record, i have never heard the girl in question was a 'restaurant hostess'... in every report i've seen that mentioned what the job is they say she is a cast member 'on stage'. i'm curious where you got the hostess thing, i'd like to read that article, perhaps it has more info.

The confusion may relate to the fact that Disney refers to *all* of its staff as "Cast Members" and considers anything in public view to be "on stage". They have very, very strict rules around how people behave "on stage" and have a number of policies enforced to maintain their image (for instance, there are NEVER 2 instances of the same character "on stage" even if they're at opposite ends of the park.... just in case.

I wonder if Google adwords has a way to get this thread set up so that I could get a nickel every time someone threw out the word "bigot"? Hal and Sandoinista would be contributing mightily to my happy hour fund.

06/18/10 Married

08/12/10 - Day 0 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 (USPS Express Mail)

08/13/10 - Day 1 - Delivery Confirmation at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

08/20/10 - Day 8 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) confirmation of acceptance/NOA issued for I-130, I-485, I-765

10/09/10 - Day 58 - EAD (I-765) case visible online, others still not showing up.

10/21/10 - Day 70 - Spoke to 2nd-tier support, got a "referral" opened on the biometrics appointment (as in, why isn't there one yet?)

10/29/10 - Day 78 - Biometrics appt letter received (scheduled for November 18 in Alexandria)

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Successful Walk-In Biometrics at Alexandria, VA

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered"

11/09/10 - Day 89 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered" (same text, same everything, just a second notice)

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Email/SMS notice of "EAD Approved"

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Received EAD card in mail (same day as notification of approval, no other snail mail notices)

12/07/10 - Day 117 - AOS Interview letter received (scheduled for January 10, 2011)

01/10/11 - Day 153 - AOS Interview complete - verbally approved, but we're not believing it until the card shows up.

01/14/11 - Day 157 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) notification of approval of I-485

01/15/11 - Day 158 - Received notice of I-485 approval in mail

01/18/11 - Day 161 - Received Green Card in mail!

except it doesn't work that way, except in yours, and other bigots' heads. the right to have your religious beliefs reasonably accommodated to trump a private business' rights to deny someone's religious headscarf because of their constructed dress code.

Quite with the bigot BS! I would care less if I was renting a car and the gal at the counter was wearing a head scarf. I would care if I went to Disneyland and Mini Mouse was wearing one. As you yourself have said context matters. These two scenarios are distinct. Now if the rental car agency had a specific uniform theme and a head scarf would clash with it I would say the company had a right to demand adherence to the dress code as well. I had to wear a pink shirt for years working at a bakery. Didn't once think it was a violation of my rights it was a condition of my work place uniform dress code.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The confusion may relate to the fact that Disney refers to *all* of its staff as "Cast Members" and considers anything in public view to be "on stage". They have very, very strict rules around how people behave "on stage" and have a number of policies enforced to maintain their image (for instance, there are NEVER 2 instances of the same character "on stage" even if they're at opposite ends of the park.... just in case.

I wonder if Google adwords has a way to get this thread set up so that I could get a nickel every time someone threw out the word "bigot"? Hal and Sandoinista would be contributing mightily to my happy hour fund.

If good beer is involved, you're sharing.

Quite with the bigot BS! I would care less if I was renting a car and the gal at the counter was wearing a head scarf. I would care if I went to Disneyland and Mini Mouse was wearing one. As you yourself have said context matters. These two scenarios are distinct. Now if the rental car agency had a specific uniform theme and a head scarf would clash with it I would say the company had a right to demand adherence to the dress code as well. I had to wear a pink shirt for years working at a bakery. Didn't once think it was a violation of my rights it was a condition of my work place uniform dress code.

:bonk:

Minnie wearing a headscarf? :rofl:

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

why not let her wear her headscarf, but transfer her to being mickey mouse, which is a complete costume?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

why not let her wear her headscarf, but transfer her to being mickey mouse, which is a complete costume?

:lol:

That would be interesting... too bad we can't see the payscale for character cast members. It might be a promotion.

If your only consideration is that the person wishing to wear a headscarf is being contrary, that they 'want' something different for some cosmetic reason, then clearly they have no leg to stand on - but wearing the headscarf is not equivalent to finding the costume ugly or not wishing to conform, it is a religious practice - or that is the contention. If it is deemed a religious practice then not allowing it, unless it materially effects the performance of the employees duties is discriminatory and religious discrimination is unacceptable in the work place - private companies are not exempt from that, as they are not exempt from other forms of discrimination.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I suspect next season when she returns to work she will insist that she also be permitted to wear slacks under her skit to cover her legs.

If she doesn't make this demand... the next "trouble maker" will.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

I suspect next season when she returns to work she will insist that she also be permitted to wear slacks under her skit to cover her legs.

If she doesn't make this demand... the next "trouble maker" will.

Who gave you the right to demean someone you don't know based on your assessment of their level of sincerity as regards their religious customs and practices? Why can't you take this at face value? Is it because it involves the religious practices of a faith you don't agree with? I guess it is easier for me because I favour no faith, they are all equally nonsensical to me - however I do understand that religious discrimination is unacceptable.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Who gave you the right to demean someone you don't know based on your assessment of their level of sincerity as regards their religious customs and practices? Why can't you take this at face value? Is it because it involves the religious practices of a faith you don't agree with? I guess it is easier for me because I favour no faith, they are all equally nonsensical to me - however I do understand that religious discrimination is unacceptable.

Because diversity and multiculturalism to someone like Danno is 'the new racism.'

We can take that at face value to epitomize that side of the argument that hides in subtleties that fool very few.

religious discrimination is unacceptable.

Discrimination is.

However, making special concessions is not required in most states and not too many folks would deem it acceptable.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You missed the ball again.

here let me pitch it slower.

After agreeing to the dress code and then working for several seasons under it she "discovered" a need to add a head covering to her costume.

It's not a stretch to suppose next season her faith might require her to be more modest......as many Muslims are.

This has nothing to do with our differing faiths Cleo on the whole I have a lot more in common with Most Muslims than I do with far left atheists like you :)

This is about Disney trying to create an atmosphere through costume. BY allowing this lady to alter the costume it opens the door for others too as well.

The rights of her and others to follow their faith should not dominate...... ultimately ruin these settings.

Yes we can chalk this up to another daily example of how Diversity has a big down side... and it only seems to grow as these conflicts are on the front pages every day.

Because diversity and multiculturalism to someone like Danno is 'the new racism.'

We can take that at face value to epitomize that side of the argument that hides in subtleties that fool very few.

DId you fart again?

When doing so it's polite to excuse yourself.

FU

:P

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't read the entirety of this thread, but I have been following the story. I find the womans outrage about not being allowed to wear a hijab to be disingenuous. Why now? She is an adult with a family and has never felt the compunction to wear one in the past. As to whether or not she is allowed to wear it, I suppose a lot of that is dependant upon her employment contract. If she signed a contract that delineated a strict dress code, then she has to abide by her contract, or suffer the consequences.

Timeline

You missed the ball again.

here let me pitch it slower.

After agreeing to the dress code and then working for several seasons under it she "discovered" a need to add a head covering to her costume.

It's not a stretch to suppose next season her faith might require her to be more modest......as many Muslims are.

This has nothing to do with our differing faiths Cleo on the whole I have a lot more in common with Most Muslims than I do with far left atheists like you :)

This is about Disney trying to create an atmosphere through costume. BY allowing this lady to alter the costume it opens the door for others too as well.

The rights of her and others to follow their faith should not dominate...... ultimately ruin these settings.

Yes we can chalk this up to another daily example of how Diversity has a big down side... and it only seems to grow as these conflicts are on the front pages every day.

DId you fart again?

When doing so it's polite to excuse yourself.

FU

:P

Danno, you fool noone.

I haven't read the entirety of this thread, but I have been following the story. I find the womans outrage about not being allowed to wear a hijab to be disingenuous. Why now? She is an adult with a family and has never felt the compunction to wear one in the past. As to whether or not she is allowed to wear it, I suppose a lot of that is dependant upon her employment contract. If she signed a contract that delineated a strict dress code, then she has to abide by her contract, or suffer the consequences.

Yes, we covered this a few pages back. She entered an agreement willingly. Her choice of venue to effect change is odd, IMO, but her case *may* have some merit.