Danno

Muslim worker demands to wear head scarf with costume

361 posts in this topic

I didn't say Butkus but if the next employee claims a right to wear one on religious freedom grounds I will again support Disney's right to say "Not while working here."

What is the theme of this particular restaurant? If it was Return to Jafar your rancid red herring might smell better too.

the burkha part was in response to darnell. vj's quote thing sucks when yr responding to multiple posts, it gets all knackered

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

no, they've become the new person being discriminated against, and therefore are having to fight for their due rights. rights that exist despite vicious bigots like yourself getting all pissy about it.

too funny.

The 'intolerant' ones are always the ones who don't bow down to religious views. They are never the ones who impose their views on others.

Edited by Paul and Vanessa

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

the burkha part was in response to darnell. vj's quote thing sucks when yr responding to multiple posts, it gets all knackered

Worse still my iPods handy spell checker turned burqua into Butkus! Yikes!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Indeed there is.

As I said... I do not see as an imposition, that which does not affect the viewers as they are not obligated to wear anything in those cases. I do find it fishy how some deny their patterned bigotry behind arguments that are actually quite logical due to their having been in place for decades. What changes is the society we live in, and that really irks many bigots into being irritable beyond your wildest dreams. Unless they are not really bigots and are merely traumatized... and that I can understand... yet I do not think there would be that many victims around and even if there were- not all would use hate as their mechanism of expressing their disagreement with an entire religion.

i agree. particularly in the alamo case, the woman who had been working for alamo since 1999 had worn her scarf only during ramadan for 2 years running. then 9/11 happened. and then they didn't want to let her wear it anymore during ramadan while working up front with customers.

as if the two have something to do with each other :no:

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

no, they've become the new person being discriminated against, and therefore are having to fight for their due rights. rights that exist despite vicious bigots like yourself getting all pissy about it.

Why should we have to change our way of life to cater for them? What percentage of Muslim countries are accommodating to the cultures and norms of others?

Don't even attempt to compare this to segregation.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

i'm familiar with bupkes...but i got no idea what butkus is!

Why should we have to change our way of life to cater for them? What percentage of Muslim countries are accommodating to the cultures and norms of others?

Don't even attempt to compare this to segregation.

because of that pesky constitution you hate so much. that has ** all to do with anything that goes on in any muslim country anywhere. we're talking about the us. not anywhere else.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

i agree. particularly in the alamo case, the woman who had been working for alamo since 1999 had worn her scarf only during ramadan for 2 years running. then 9/11 happened. and then they didn't want to let her wear it anymore during ramadan while working up front with customers.

Alamo is a completely different ball game to Disney's costume and theme. As pointed out earlier, where does it stop? What happens when someone says I want to wear a Burqa and work at Disney?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

too funny.

The 'intolerant' ones are always the ones who don't bow down to religious views. They are never the ones who impose their views on others.

How are others being imposed upon Paul? Just curious. Imposition would be what? Being forced to see other people wearing headscarves? Oh the horror and injustice...

Same argument is used against homosexual marriage rights. You'd almost think that us heterosexuals would be imposed to watch gays doing it or something. :lol:

Again... she agreed to work under those conditions... her focus should be elsewhere, even though as sandinista! points out... there's already some precedent covering religious protections under the constitution. Maybe some people don't like that on grounds that it makes them very uncomfortable to see different people wearing different things.

####### Butkus will be watching you now.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i'm familiar with bupkes...but i got no idea what butkus is!

I was in a Syrian-flavoured shop last week in Houston, bought some (I kid you not) yoghurt, the brand was 'Butkus'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Alamo is a completely different ball game to Disney's costume and theme. As pointed out earlier, where does it stop? What happens when someone says I want to wear a Burqa and work at Disney?

if you would actually read the thread before participating you would see that the burqa issue has already been discussed. i mentioned already that the woman who wanted to wear one in a pediatrician's office was ruled against. because it prohibited her from functioning in her job capacity. a restaurant hostess in a headscarf does not meet that burden at all.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Timeline

Ahhh... context always is the killer huh?

9/11 happened and reasonable people became paranoid. This is how GWB won in 2004.

slip slip slip

What is Disney's theme btw?

In other parts of the world adherents to the same religion demand the right to stone adulterers so will you argue this strongly to support their religious freedom should they move to the USA? Get a grip this gal had the job for 2.5 years without demanding her right to wear a headscarf and Allah does not appear to have smite her for blasphemy.

Get a grip? You seem to have entirely lost your grip on reality - why would I support stoning, even if it were a tenet of the muslim religion, which I'll add it is not, it's a practice rooted in Judaism as it happens; but regardless, what on earth leads you to that conclusion? I do not personally hold with the practice of wearing headscarves as an expression of modesty, it really is an irrelevance, but that said, if someone believes that it is necessary for their faith, and that faith is protected by the freedom to practice ones faith within certain well defined boundaries, what does it matter what I hold with? We all know where those boundaries really lie, and that is when the practice of one's religion adversely effects someone who does not share that belief - wearing a headscarf does not come even close.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

because of that pesky constitution you hate so much. that has ** all to do with anything that goes on in any muslim country anywhere. we're talking about the us. not anywhere else.

Once again, why should I or anyone be forced to bend over backwards to cater for strict others unique nuances?

Timeline

And crucifixion was invented by the Phoenicians.

How are others being imposed upon Paul? Just curious. Imposition would be what? Being forced to see other people wearing headscarves? Oh the horror and injustice...

Same argument is used against homosexual marriage rights. You'd almost think that us heterosexuals would be imposed to watch gays doing it or something. :lol:

Again... she agreed to work under those conditions... her focus should be elsewhere, even though as sandinista! points out... there's already some precedent covering religious protections under the constitution. Maybe some people don't like that on grounds that it makes them very uncomfortable to see different people wearing different things.

####### Butkus will be watching you now.

bump