Tnic

Starting Over

136 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm exhausted. I never would have thought home repairs could be an aphrodisiac. :wow:

LOL Yes yes yes....just plan out the repairs and upgrades and you won't tax your system too much!!!

Just keep her out of Home Depot and Bed, Bath & Beyond and you're good to go!!!!

Also playing with the kids or helping them with their studies or just spending time with them will earn you tons of bed-time also.

Therein lies a difference between more Western women and FSU women, they really really appreciate a man who will do repairs and spend time with the kids; appreciate is too weak of a word, they really really value highly those traits.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

LOL Yes yes yes....just plan out the repairs and upgrades and you won't tax your system too much!!!

Just keep her out of Home Depot and Bed, Bath & Beyond and you're good to go!!!!

Also playing with the kids or helping them with their studies or just spending time with them will earn you tons of bed-time also.

Therein lies a difference between more Western women and FSU women, they really really appreciate a man who will do repairs and spend time with the kids; appreciate is too weak of a word, they really really value highly those traits.

Well lets just say I'm glad she's going to work today. I need the rest. I think I'll wait till next week to fix the toilet. :whistle:

She showed the website to Nova Liniya last night. This could get interesting.

Edited by Tnic

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Most men, if they do some projects around the house complain of an aching back. Not us! :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

LOL!

I got lucky. In that metal tub of old well used tools was a screwdriver just the right size that just happened to have a little indicator lamp (that works) in the handle. So I was able to quickly ID the hot wire and kept the demons safely imprisoned in the wire. We ate supper last night with the ceiling Lamp on for the first time since I arrived. What a difference! And then she wouldn't leave me alone after dinner. I'm exhausted. I never would have thought home repairs could be an aphrodisiac. :wow: I think I'm glad there's no room for a tablesaw.

I better eat my Wheaties as today I'm replacing the leaky kitchen faucet. :help:

Install ceramic tile in the bathroom and they have to scrape you off the bed the next morning! Just what I need on top of sore knees.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Install ceramic tile in the bathroom and they have to scrape you off the bed the next morning! Just what I need on top of sore knees.

No tile on the floor. The bathroom is already finished (thank God). But we're looking at reno ideas for the balcony. Went to New Line last night and got to look at possible materials to do it and of course I got to ogle some toys, er, tools that I'll be needing. The Circ saw I want, a Rebir, will even clamp upside down to a table to become a "Tablesaw". Damn thing weighs a ton too, but plenty of power. I hate a saw that has to "think" about going through a piece of lumber. And speaking of which, lumber was the only thing we didn't see there. I grabbed a 5m tape measure and had over 220 cm out and it still didn't flop down. I likey!

Mila said I was exactly like our grandson Max with his toy cars. :rofl:

За Жезни С Смехом

Timeline

No tile on the floor. The bathroom is already finished (thank God). But we're looking at reno ideas for the balcony. Went to New Line last night and got to look at possible materials to do it and of course I got to ogle some toys, er, tools that I'll be needing. The Circ saw I want, a Rebir, will even clamp upside down to a table to become a "Tablesaw". Damn thing weighs a ton too, but plenty of power. I hate a saw that has to "think" about going through a piece of lumber. And speaking of which, lumber was the only thing we didn't see there. I grabbed a 5m tape measure and had over 220 cm out and it still didn't flop down. I likey!

Mila said I was exactly like our grandson Max with his toy cars. :rofl:

They opened one of those "home centers", on the east side of Donetsk and I went there last visit. The place seems heavy on displays and lite on "in stock" stuff. Most of the home products like doors, windows, etc., had to be ordered. And it was godawful expensive compared to similar things here. As I recall a hollow core pre-hung interior door was nearly $300. Same thing here would be maybe $75. Ceramic tile is mostly of the "photo print type" with a printed pattern on the surface. REAL tile comes only from outside the country and is horribly expensive. Alla is also shocked at home cheap tile is here also. The tools tended to be ultra heavy, plastics and aluminum maybe aren't in style yet, and expensive. I actually pack along my tools when I go there (some) such as my DeWalt battery drill and three charged batteries. (I always end up fixing things in our flat or the MILs place) Caution: working on your back under the sink can cause you to be in a vulnerable position to live out every plumber's fantasy! :thumbs: I usually go to the bazaar/market near our flat and rummage around in little booths full of boxes of "stuff" to find various parts and pieces to fix things and get them for a good price...and it is half the fun anyway. There is no bar codes and inventory tags on that stuff, you make your collection and then go to barter with the proprietor. Price can vary depending on currency displayed. They don't take MC or Visa. :unsure:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

They opened one of those "home centers", on the east side of Donetsk and I went there last visit. The place seems heavy on displays and lite on "in stock" stuff. Most of the home products like doors, windows, etc., had to be ordered. And it was godawful expensive compared to similar things here. As I recall a hollow core pre-hung interior door was nearly $300. Same thing here would be maybe $75. Ceramic tile is mostly of the "photo print type" with a printed pattern on the surface. REAL tile comes only from outside the country and is horribly expensive. Alla is also shocked at home cheap tile is here also. The tools tended to be ultra heavy, plastics and aluminum maybe aren't in style yet, and expensive. I actually pack along my tools when I go there (some) such as my DeWalt battery drill and three charged batteries. (I always end up fixing things in our flat or the MILs place) Caution: working on your back under the sink can cause you to be in a vulnerable position to live out every plumber's fantasy! :thumbs: I usually go to the bazaar/market near our flat and rummage around in little booths full of boxes of "stuff" to find various parts and pieces to fix things and get them for a good price...and it is half the fun anyway. There is no bar codes and inventory tags on that stuff, you make your collection and then go to barter with the proprietor. Price can vary depending on currency displayed. They don't take MC or Visa. :unsure:

I noticed that the saws in particular are gawd awful heavy. I'm guessing it might have something to do with field windings for 220VAC instead of the 110 we are used to, which would mean twice the copper inside the stuff here. The cordless tools are the same as I'm used to weight-wise.

Damn! Now I'll have to break the sink or something and fix it while she's home to live out my plumber's fantasy.

Well things are getting serious now. My collection of power tools has begun. Yesterday I picked up a cordless drill/driver and a set of drill bits (including two bits for ceramic) at the local bazaar. I'll be going back to get a few hand tools as I need them too. Mila has decided that she is going to buy a tool box for me. I particularly like the part where the salesman plugged in the charger and inserted each battery (two) to demonstrate that it worked. We bought a CFL light bulb someplace else on the way home and the lady demoed that as well.

My first project will be to install the shower head hanger, thus the ceramic drill bits and then I'll work on securing that kitchen light switch. Apparently the box in the wall is not the one that you secure the switch to. When we were at New Line the other day the nice young lady demonstrated for me how to go about it. You need a modern box that the switch clips into with those side "ears", but first I have to attach the new box to the old one. She said to use plaster, but I'm just gonna run screws through the new box into the holes in the back of the old one.

We had a very nice afternoon roaming through the stalls and ogling toys, er, tools and materials options that we'll need for the reno on our balcony. I wanted to get a bite to eat and we found (after searching for it) a middle eastern cafe that had some pretty darned good food. I had some pilof and shashlik while Mila had the pilof and a salad all for 50 uah and we had plenty.

We picked up some fresh fish that looked like carp, but was salt water fish and a few things I needed for a salad similar to olivea(sp?) and we went on home with our booty. The fish turned out to be quite tasty and my salad was a hit too. I need to find a good fillet knife though. I enjoyed the fish, but I'd enjoy it more if I didn't have to think about all the bones.

Edited by Tnic

За Жезни С Смехом

Timeline

I noticed that the saws in particular are gawd awful heavy. I'm guessing it might have something to do with field windings for 220VAC instead of the 110 we are used to, which would mean twice the copper inside the stuff here. The cordless tools are the same as I'm used to weight-wise.

Damn! Now I'll have to break the sink or something and fix it while she's home to live out my plumber's fantasy.

Well things are getting serious now. My collection of power tools has begun. Yesterday I picked up a cordless drill/driver and a set of drill bits (including two bits for ceramic) at the local bazaar. I'll be going back to get a few hand tools as I need them too. Mila has decided that she is going to buy a tool box for me. I particularly like the part where the salesman plugged in the charger and inserted each battery (two) to demonstrate that it worked. We bought a CFL light bulb someplace else on the way home and the lady demoed that as well.

My first project will be to install the shower head hanger, thus the ceramic drill bits and then I'll work on securing that kitchen light switch. Apparently the box in the wall is not the one that you secure the switch to. When we were at New Line the other day the nice young lady demonstrated for me how to go about it. You need a modern box that the switch clips into with those side "ears", but first I have to attach the new box to the old one. She said to use plaster, but I'm just gonna run screws through the new box into the holes in the back of the old one.

We had a very nice afternoon roaming through the stalls and ogling toys, er, tools and materials options that we'll need for the reno on our balcony. I wanted to get a bite to eat and we found (after searching for it) a middle eastern cafe that had some pretty darned good food. I had some pilof and shashlik while Mila had the pilof and a salad all for 50 uah and we had plenty.

We picked up some fresh fish that looked like carp, but was salt water fish and a few things I needed for a salad similar to olivea(sp?) and we went on home with our booty. The fish turned out to be quite tasty and my salad was a hit too. I need to find a good fillet knife though. I enjoyed the fish, but I'd enjoy it more if I didn't have to think about all the bones.

220V electrical windings would be (or I should say, "should be") smaller than 110 v. Lower voltage = less amps for the same power. I suspect steel or cast iron in the mix for the frames, but yes, they are heavy.

Under the sink work can result in Plumber fantasy number 4, I hope that is the one you need for your collection. :whistle:

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Under the sink work can result in Plumber fantasy number 4, I hope that is the one you need for your collection. :whistle:

Is that the one where I'm on my back in my bikini swimsuit and tool belt and she comes sauntering in wearing nothing but a smile? Oh yeah, I like that one. :devil:

I solved the switch mystery. I removed the switch from the wall box and the wires from the switch (of course) and in one of those "what happens when I do this" moments I started turning two screws only to discover that those "ears" on each side of the switch were in fact the clamping/gripping mechanism that secures the switch to the wall enclosure. :bonk:

After many hugs, kisses and "maladyetz" I finally got around to the shower head hanger and my first "two handed" shower since I got here.

За Жезни С Смехом

Timeline

OMG! You and Slim and Shawn are all giving us TMI visuals!

Number 4 is where she walks in wearing a skirt while you are on your back, and decides she needs to get some water and you notice..."Um Ma'am, did you forget something?" :whistle: And she say "No, I didn't forget anything" :o

Gary And Alla

Timeline

OMG! You and Slim and Shawn are all giving us TMI visuals!

I forgot to mention the cowboy boots. Gotta have the boots too. :rofl:

Number 4 is where she walks in wearing a skirt while you are on your back, and decides she needs to get some water and you notice..."Um Ma'am, did you forget something?" :whistle: And she say "No, I didn't forget anything" :o

Oooh, so THAT'S #4

За Жезни С Смехом

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Well I've been back in CT for 5 days now and I've recovered from my DIY "Spacibo" exercise. The jet lag fog is beginning to lift and I started playing with movie maker to put a music montage of the trip together.

Here's what I came up with yesterday before the debacle in Madison, WI.

Enjoy the Show.

За Жезни С Смехом

Cool pics! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Well I've been back in CT for 5 days now and I've recovered from my DIY "Spacibo" exercise. The jet lag fog is beginning to lift and I started playing with movie maker to put a music montage of the trip together.

Here's what I came up with yesterday before the debacle in Madison, WI.

Enjoy the Show.

Very nice pictures, I didn't know they were such big fans of country music there :)-

Timeline

Very nice pictures, I didn't know they were such big fans of country music there :)-

Thanks guys.

I didn't know they would go for my cowboy muzik either. One evening in Koktebel I made shashlik for our friends (all artist in various mediums) and set up the notebook with all our Krim photos in slideshow and cued up the Country. They were mesmerized. I switched to some Eagles later and Nargis (the pro pianist) begged me to put the Country back on. She even made a toast thanking me "for showing us such beauty", her words. Mila explained later that they didn't care what it was. Good music is good music.

За Жезни С Смехом

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.