Tnic

Starting Over

136 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You know what was incredibly well received by Alla AND the boys? Hi-tech lightweight long underwear! Not very romantic or exciting, but VERY practical for people in Ukraine plus a son studying in Moscow. Such things are relatively cheap here and very expensive there.

Just some gloves, knit hats, and I packed along some down coats which were bought here for a fraction of what they cost in Ukraine. Seriously, I got some Colombia down coats at Sears, after Christmas, for $49 each! I brought one for each of the boys when I visited in January, even before we did our I-129f and I was the like the Hero of the Kievian Rus!

Yes yes, bring clothes. My Alla just went back to Russia for five weeks and loaded down both large suitcases with clothes she had been buying at every Clearance rack known; she especially loves the $1 racks at Walmart. She says the clothes here are decent quality and are 10X the cost in Moscow; or can not even be bought.

Alla spends very little time in my shop, but she came out there and was fascinated to the point of laughter at all the "machines".

In the basement she says is Your Walmart (I have everything, tools, guns, ammo, computer stuff, etc), plus in the barn. She usually gives me room to be creative or fixative and I allow little Leonid to "help" Papa also.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Seems to be the concensus. Alla gathers gifts all year for her trips back to Ukraine/Russia. If she doesn't find something for herself she will find something for Natasha or her friend, Alla, or for Olga or for Lesha or for her mom. She isn't going to let bargains go un-sold. The other night she got a FREE cosmetics "gift" and bag when buying something she needed anyway (and she won't buy it until they are giving her something for free) I think bargain hunting is her favorite past time. I swear, I am not joking, most of the employees at Lowe's know her by name...they also know she is going to go to the bargain, clearence racks and is going to hit them up for even further discounts. She is still flipped out by Lowe's and "Bed, Bath and Beyond" which she considers both to be wonderful examples of American excess...and you can't get her out of there! I have a photo of her where you can barely see her face in the car, packed in with all her bargains from "Bed, Bath and Beyond" from 4 days after she arrived. They literally had to chase her down and remove her from the store after they closed!

Recently we had one of those Cosmetika stores open on the main street in Burlington, but she says it is low quality and high priced. "Just like Ukraine" The next shop we wandered in was a new shoe store. She looked at a pair of shoes and turned them over for the price. A little lable said "535" No "$" sign. She said.."hmm..another shop like Ukraine, maybe they mean "535 Hryvnia". I looked at the shoes and said "Maybe ...Rubles" :rofl:

But for the most part she has found happy hunting grounds for bargains.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Tnic I'm jealous I still have 8 days till I see my lady. got the long underwear for her and wally world has coats on sale for 20 bucks, now to figure out what size to get the boys.

If they are "medium" in Ukraine, get "small" here. Our sizes tend to run larger.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I found out that a man who can cook is a big turn on too.

We just got back from Koktebel yesterday. I brought some Seafood Alfredo that I made earlier (enough for 6 people)and froze and we had supper with our friends the first night. Mila was so proud the way they devoured it. Then I cooked shashlik (twice) and they kept saying "it is so good I'm so full, but I can't stop eating."

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Timeline

I found out that a man who can cook is a big turn on too.

We just got back from Koktebel yesterday. I brought some Seafood Alfredo that I made earlier (enough for 6 people)and froze and we had supper with our friends the first night. Mila was so proud the way they devoured it. Then I cooked shashlik (twice) and they kept saying "it is so good I'm so full, but I can't stop eating."

If I could cook, I could try that. I will take your word for it...besides, she wears me out now. :lol:

I will say this...Gamboorgers, tacos and tater tots do NOT do it for Alla.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Now take that Gamboorgor and add some minced onion, pepper and carrot, some bread crumbs and an egg and now you have koteleti. Awesome on the mongal! Some adjika or Bullseye and you got a winner there.

За Жезни С Смехом

Timeline

Now take that Gamboorgor and add some minced onion, pepper and carrot, some bread crumbs and an egg and now you have koteleti. Awesome on the mongal! Some adjika or Bullseye and you got a winner there.

No thanks, to much like cooking. I'd rather build a shelf for a plant or something. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No thanks, to much like cooking. I'd rather build a shelf for a plant or something. :lol:

Always go with your best pitch Gary. :thumbs:

I've proved my skills in the kitchen now I gotta get "Mr Fixit" in gear. We just got back from the Center Bazaar with a new light switch and a faucet for the kitchen sink. Tomorrow we should have light in the kitchen, at long last.

This is the biggest Bazaar I've ever seen too. If you can't find it there you really don't need it. They have everything you could need to rebuild or repair anything in the home and then clothes to fill the shkaf and food to fill the new xolodilnik.

За Жезни С Смехом

Timeline

Always go with your best pitch Gary. :thumbs:

I've proved my skills in the kitchen now I gotta get "Mr Fixit" in gear. We just got back from the Center Bazaar with a new light switch and a faucet for the kitchen sink. Tomorrow we should have light in the kitchen, at long last.

This is the biggest Bazaar I've ever seen too. If you can't find it there you really don't need it. They have everything you could need to rebuild or repair anything in the home and then clothes to fill the shkaf and food to fill the new xolodilnik.

One word of caution...they really like that 220v. electricity they have there, they even use it for DOORBELLS. Found that out when I fixed my MILs doorbell. Having your girl present during such moments of discovery can knock you down a click or two in her eyes, so best not to have her around when you are doing stuff like that...there are some things that just should not be watched while being made. Cottage cheese is not the only one.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

One word of caution...they really like that 220v. electricity they have there, they even use it for DOORBELLS. Found that out when I fixed my MILs doorbell. Having your girl present during such moments of discovery can knock you down a click or two in her eyes, so best not to have her around when you are doing stuff like that...there are some things that just should not be watched while being made. Cottage cheese is not the only one.

No problem Gary. :lol:

I worked a few years as an electrician when I was getting started in the big World. I know how to keep the smoke inside the wire. Its bad if you let the smoke out, very bad. But this is a switch so there should only be one hot wire, even with 220VAC and I will take every precaution that I don't discover which one, the hard way. Just to be safe® I'll put on the rubber gloves she keeps in the bathroom.

Edited by Tnic

За Жезни С Смехом

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

No problem Gary. :lol:

I worked a few years as an electrician when I was getting started in the big World. I know how to keep the smoke inside the wire. Its bad if you let the smoke out, very bad. But this is a switch so there should only be one hot wire, even with 220VAC and I will take every precaution that I don't discover which one, the hard way. Just to be safe® I'll put on the rubber gloves she keeps in the bathroom.

You've got it all wrong. It's not the smoke that make electricity work. It's the demons. When you let the demons out, they create smoke. Don't let the demons out.

Timeline

You've got it all wrong. It's not the smoke that make electricity work. It's the demons. When you let the demons out, they create smoke. Don't let the demons out.

I use the long bladed screwdrivers and watch for a spark at the end. It is the signal that the demons (smoke) have entered the screwdriver and are racing toward your fingers...then I let go the screwdriver!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I use the long bladed screwdrivers and watch for a spark at the end. It is the signal that the demons (smoke) have entered the screwdriver and are racing toward your fingers...then I let go the screwdriver!

LOL!

I got lucky. In that metal tub of old well used tools was a screwdriver just the right size that just happened to have a little indicator lamp (that works) in the handle. So I was able to quickly ID the hot wire and kept the demons safely imprisoned in the wire. We ate supper last night with the ceiling Lamp on for the first time since I arrived. What a difference! And then she wouldn't leave me alone after dinner. I'm exhausted. I never would have thought home repairs could be an aphrodisiac. :wow: I think I'm glad there's no room for a tablesaw.

I better eat my Wheaties as today I'm replacing the leaky kitchen faucet. :help:

За Жезни С Смехом

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.