Tnic

Starting Over

136 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No. The US does not care about such things. They do not "tell" other countries who has become a US citizen and they do not require you to surrender a foreign passport. Keep the passport current by renewing it IN UKRAINE when you visit. For best results, Do not allow it to expire (you can renew it up to 2 years in advance)

Gary thanks. I'll def pass that on to Mike.

Well,

Had a good flight from CT and made it to Simferopol in fair condition. Exhausted, but in high spirits, especially when I saw Mila standing there with a sign emblazoned with our private motto. I was too tired to be very nervous and she was like a school girl on her first date, but we went straight to her place (which is now OUR place) and I got a shower while she warmed up some kuteleti and kartoshki with a meat filling and we sat down and finished the bottle of bubbly that she had bought special for our first night together.

Since then we've been all over town and Saturday I met her dochka Alex(ina) and grandson Max and we had a great time together. Suffice it to say that everything is going EXACTLY as we had both hoped and I believe the search is over. I feel more at home here than I do in my own hometown. We are completely open and natural with each other and its like we've been a couple for years instead of days.

I'm keeping an up to date TR at RMP if anyone is interested. Baron can help point the way if I'm not around.

Ok, time to pack our bags as tomorrow AM we head to the bus station and will be spending a week in Alupka.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Very cool, Tnic!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Since then we've been all over town and Saturday I met her dochka Alex(ina) and grandson Max and we had a great time together. Suffice it to say that everything is going EXACTLY as we had both hoped and I believe the search is over. I feel more at home here than I do in my own hometown. We are completely open and natural with each other and its like we've been a couple for years instead of days.

Ok, time to pack our bags as tomorrow AM we head to the bus station and will be spending a week in Alupka.

Well done!

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

She said YES!

That’s right! I asked Mila to marry me, and she said yes without a thought. We became officially engaged on Saturday, September 4. And that Ruby ring looks exquisite on her hand. We need to go to a jewelry shop to have it sized down, but I guessed pretty close based on the photos I had to work with.

I am going to marry the most wonderful woman I have ever met. We want to have the wedding in the Spring so there’s plenty of time to plan things as we want it.

We are a nearly perfect fit for each other, its literally like two pieces from a jigsaw puzzle being joined. There is no forcing the match whatsoever. We are both so laid back that nothing really seems to faze us. We have laughed off so many situations that would have had others at odds its incredible. Even with the language difference there are no misunderstandings that have us going at each other. She will say I’m talking too fast, I slow down and repeat as often as needed and think of something to compare that she knows and she does the same with the Russian side of the partnership. Everything is very natural and easy with us. We both feel very free and comfortable together. Neither of us have the rose glasses on, we really are looking things as they are and happily planning our life together.

I am planning to return for New Years and spend about 6 weeks with Mila and then I will be making the arrangements to move here in May or June when we will be married start our life together fulltime. I already know that right after the wedding I can apply for a temporary residence to stay with my wife. Ukraine has a “we don’t want to break up families” law and I will fall under that rule. That will make it possible to live here and in two years apply for Permanent Resident status.

All that being said we are by no means perfect people. Mila is in no way perfect nor am I and we know this about each other and ourselves. We expect differences to crop up and hope to deal with them the way we do now, with understanding and patience. My girl is NOT a morning person. It has become my habit to rise a bit before her, usually between 6 & 7 and have my coffee, do some writing and go through my own wake up routine. Then around 9 I make her coffee and bring it and a small pastry to her so she can start her routine still in bed. The pleased murmurs and subsequent smile is well worth it, thrust me. After that she has a cig and disappears into the bathroom for almost an hour. That is sacred time and I have no idea what’s going in there and I think its best not to pry too much, but she always comes out looking fresh and happy so I can let that be. I just know to have my morning constitution completed before I go wake her up. It works for us. I don’t see it becoming an issue since I won’t be going to a job, she will so she can take all the time she needs. The really great thing about her though is after that she can be ready to walk out the door in minutes, even she still has to get dressed and no 2 cans of hairspray. I don’t recall seeing her use any at all really and I love touching her hair.

I can whistle in the house! I did it deliberately one day just to see what response I would get and nothing! I even asked her about it later and she doesn’t care. At home we both go without house shoes, but at the apartment in Alupka we had tile floors so she insisted on my wearing shoes. I know she loves me.

OH, and we had a good time in Yalta too. :dance:

За Жезни С Смехом

Congrats, Tnic. On both the engagement and being allowed to whistle!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Coolness! Happy to hear it worked out. I'm curious to hear more about Yalta too. Yalta is on our to do list.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

That is wonderful news. Congrats to you both and good luck in the future; it sure sounds like you both have found your matches.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Coolness! Happy to hear it worked out. I'm curious to hear more about Yalta too. Yalta is on our to do list.

well at the risk of breaking some major LINKS rule here's my thread at RMP.

We stayed in Alupka about 10 km toward Foros from Yalta. We had a great time in spite of some not so great weather in the middle of the week.

And when we get a bigger place we'd be more than happy to put you up and show you around.

За Жезни С Смехом

It sounds like you are having the time of your life right now. I was in Simferopol and Yalta six years ago at the same time of the year. Yalta had the summer crowds gone and it was beautiful and interesting. Autumn starts early in Ukraine compared to what I have in Northern California and I loved the change in color, the crisp winds and the people just enjoying their lives.

I'm glad you found a wonderful woman to fill your life. I imagine that living in Ukraine will have some adjustment for you, but it should probably work well in the long run. Congratulations and good luck. :thumbs:

well at the risk of breaking some major LINKS rule here's my thread at RMP.

We stayed in Alupka about 10 km toward Foros from Yalta. We had a great time in spite of some not so great weather in the middle of the week.

And when we get a bigger place we'd be more than happy to put you up and show you around.

All over it. We are opting for another country in October instead of going down to Crimea, but it would be awesome to know somebody there next year. Sounds like you are putting down roots.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

All over it. We are opting for another country in October instead of going down to Crimea, but it would be awesome to know somebody there next year. Sounds like you are putting down roots.

Yeah, maybe someplace a little further south would be good in Oct. it's getting a little brisk here now, but still pleasant days and evenings (with a jacket or sweater) for walking around town.

I guess I AM taking root here. I bought a drip coffee maker last night. Now I just have to tape off those stupid level limiter holes in the back so I can have a full mug, and no water puddles around the machine. Thank God she noticed the water last night and got a tray out to contain it.

As with any move to a new area, there is some adjustment period, but I really feel at home here. As soon as I can read Russian a little more and know where more places and things are around town I'll be jumping on marshutkas like a native.

За Жезни С Смехом

Timeline

Here are some pics we took while in Yalta last week.

Enjoy!

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/tnkclark/Ukraine%20Holiday%20September%202010/Yalta/

За Жезни С Смехом

Really??...can I get a list of these women?

Elena's models has quite a few. So does every other FSU MOB site out there. Pick one.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.