ajigglin

DAKAR EMBASSY THREAD

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi to you too!!!!! You were a pcv in Kenya? I actually have a couple of friends who were pcvs with me in Mali that are now actually working in Kenya. Congrats on your wedding and successful AOS. And I appreciate the RPCV shout out!

Yep, Kenya 06-08. I'm jealous of your friends! There are many days I'd love to be living there again. One day!

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

They emailed me packet 3 but the forms they attached were outdated. :lol: I just went to the DOS website and got the updated forms from there. Once I called the NVC and they told me our case was sent to the embassy I sent all the paperwork and documentation to my fiancé by DHL. It's a little on the expensive side but it's worth it cuz FH doesn't have a street address either so they held it at their office and he picked it up from there. I can forward the email to you if you'd like so you can get started on everything. Just let me know. :) Also feel free to ask any other questions you have while everything is still fresh in my mind. :lol:

tumblr_l2zffoq44C1qc5x0yo1_400.jpg

My honey is NIGERIAN and I'm AMERICAN

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/02/10 NOA1 Notice date

08/06/10 Touched

08/07/10 Received NOA1 in mail

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

01/31/11 I-129F Petition APPROVED!!!

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

03/01/11 Interview (FH is in AP)

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

04/13/11 FH notified to come to the embassy with his passport!

04/26/11 FH received Visa

04/29/11 FH Arrived in the US!!! JFK POE

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline

They emailed me packet 3 but the forms they attached were outdated. :lol: I just went to the DOS website and got the updated forms from there. Once I called the NVC and they told me our case was sent to the embassy I sent all the paperwork and documentation to my fiancé by DHL. It's a little on the expensive side but it's worth it cuz FH doesn't have a street address either so they held it at their office and he picked it up from there. I can forward the email to you if you'd like so you can get started on everything. Just let me know. :) Also feel free to ask any other questions you have while everything is still fresh in my mind. :lol:

I would love the e-mail address!! Thanks so much! I feel like I have so many questions, thanks for being so helpful!! I'm glad the packet can get sent to me because I am definitely the organized one in the relationship!!! When you DHLed the packet, you just put his name and then the closest Post Office to him (I've only used standard mail, never DHL)? And how long did it take to get to him? When in Dakar did he stay at a hotel? Any suggestions on hotels? Did you make an advanced medical appointment? How long did the medical stuff take (a day? or a few days?)? Did you pay the entire fee at the embassy? On the US consulate page for Dakar it says something about paying part of it at Ecobank and part of it at the embassy, can you just pay for the whole thing at the embassy? I know you have to get things officially translated, so that includes police certificates and birth certificates, right?

Ok, I think those are my major questions. hahaha. I really do appreciate your help, I hate that I can't be there with him throughout this whole process. It feels like everyday I'm worrying about more and more instead of less and less :blink:. But it'll all be worth it eventually!!!

October 28 - NOA 1 received

November 5, 2010 - Touched

April 18, 2011 - NOA 2 received, finallllllly!!!!

April 26, 2011 - Got NVC Case Number

April 27, 2011 - NVC shipped case to Embassy in Dakar

June 7th, 2011 - Interview in Dakar- APPROVED!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

I would love the e-mail address!! Thanks so much! I feel like I have so many questions, thanks for being so helpful!! I'm glad the packet can get sent to me because I am definitely the organized one in the relationship!!! When you DHLed the packet, you just put his name and then the closest Post Office to him (I've only used standard mail, never DHL)? And how long did it take to get to him? When in Dakar did he stay at a hotel? Any suggestions on hotels? Did you make an advanced medical appointment? How long did the medical stuff take (a day? or a few days?)? Did you pay the entire fee at the embassy? On the US consulate page for Dakar it says something about paying part of it at Ecobank and part of it at the embassy, can you just pay for the whole thing at the embassy? I know you have to get things officially translated, so that includes police certificates and birth certificates, right?

Ok, I think those are my major questions. hahaha. I really do appreciate your help, I hate that I can't be there with him throughout this whole process. It feels like everyday I'm worrying about more and more instead of less and less :blink:. But it'll all be worth it eventually!!!

No problem at all hon! I've gotten so much help from everyone else here, I'm happy to be able to pay it forward. :)

When I mailed the package by DHL, I put his name and a PO BOX (you can use your friend's) and put on the box and on the slip "HOLD FOR PICK UP" in bold black marker. They told me it would take 5-7 biz days, but it actually got there in 3!!! I couldn't believe it!

While in Dakar he stayed at a hotel for a couple nights. I'll have to ask the name of it. The first time (when he did his medical) he stayed at one closer to the airport. The second time (when he did his interview) he stayed at one closer to the embassy.

We used the 2nd Dr on the list, and didn't have to make an appointment but the Dr did say to be sure to come at least 5 business days before the interview. FH said once he got there the Dr was very nice and gave him very good and clear directions and instructions on what to do. He said the Dr even said a couple things to calm him about the interview. The medical took two days because FH had to return to the lab the following day to pick up his results and bring them back to the Dr. I have heard of others paying a little extra and getting their results on the same day but it wasn't that pressing for us.

As far as the fee, I saw the same thing on the Consulate page and I emailed them to clarify it. The reply email said to just pay the fee at the Consular Cashier.

Yep, you have to get those things translated. You're all set there! :)

I was the same way with worrying about everything. I had to keep repeating to myself "God is in control". LOL I know my honey was getting tired of me asking him everything a million and one times. He was so patient with me though. :lol:

tumblr_l2zffoq44C1qc5x0yo1_400.jpg

My honey is NIGERIAN and I'm AMERICAN

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/02/10 NOA1 Notice date

08/06/10 Touched

08/07/10 Received NOA1 in mail

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

01/31/11 I-129F Petition APPROVED!!!

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

03/01/11 Interview (FH is in AP)

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

04/13/11 FH notified to come to the embassy with his passport!

04/26/11 FH received Visa

04/29/11 FH Arrived in the US!!! JFK POE

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hi!

I have stayed a few places in Dakar-- Hotel Oceanic, which is very close to the embassy, reasonably affordable, and comfortable (The one thing I didn't like is that it only has single beds. A double room is two separate single beds. BOO.) We prefer Auberge Marie Lucienne, which is close to the University in Dakar-- I think it is much more comfortable for the same price, and close to our friends at the University. (and a big bed! :hehe: )

As far as the medicals go, my husband also had the exam, lab work and had to come back later for results. He said the exam and everything ended up costing 75000 cfa. The Dakar embassy reviews were very helpful for both of us.

Good luck!

Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos. Charles M. Schulz

Timeline

rafetnatorop and purplesky thanks for the awesome info! I'll look into those hotel options, thanks for the suggestions. And purplesky, I feel much calmer about the medical stuff and navigating the whole interview process. The DHL/holding for pick up is a great idea. And 3 days is amazing timing! Which is also good because it seems like people can get pretty quick interviews at Dakar, like within a month or so, so waiting 2 plus weeks for the papers to get to him plus the time it'll take him to get to senegal would be cutting it close. And I want to get the interview done as soon as we can! I'm getting antsy over here!! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline

Glad to see this thread!! My fiance has dual citizenship: Cote d'Ivoire and Mali, but we are currently living in Mali so we'll be interviewing in Dakar. It's going to be a ways away for us since we having filed I-129f yet but we'll be doing that soon!!

I know you have to get things officially translated, so that includes police certificates and birth certificates, right?

I thought that these things could be left in French? And then later had to be translated for AOS purposes?

12/27/12 - Married in Bamako, Mali

11/12/13 - I-130 package sent

11/15/13 - NOA1

05/27/14 - NOA2

06/16/14 - Case received NVC

07/01/14 - Case number assigned

07/21/14 - DS-261 completed

07/25/14 - AOS bill paid

07/30/2014 - AOS package sent

08/18/2014 - add-on AOS package sent (learned that I should have sent 2 separate I-864s even though the cases are joined...oops!)

09/19/2014 - IV bill paid

09/26/2014 - AOS checklist received

11/09/2014 - DS 260 completed online

12/22/2014 - AOS checklist package and IV documents scan date

03/02/2015 - Case Complete!!! (70 days)

04/02/2015 - Interview in Dakar (221g - Needed to verify a court document)

04/21/2015- Visas in hand!!

Timeline

Glad to see this thread!! My fiance has dual citizenship: Cote d'Ivoire and Mali, but we are currently living in Mali so we'll be interviewing in Dakar. It's going to be a ways away for us since we having filed I-129f yet but we'll be doing that soon!!

I thought that these things could be left in French? And then later had to be translated for AOS purposes?

Are you in bamako or somewhere else?? I left Mali in October but was living down past Bougouni. Nice to see another Mali member here!!

I am just going to get everything translated, its pretty painless to do, and I don't want my fiance to be stuck once he's in Dakar. I figure, better to be over prepared and if he doesn't need it, no harm, especially since I don't think I'll be able to go with him to the interview, it makes me feel better to have all of our bases covered.

• 4 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Can I reopen this thread to ask about suggestions for making advance travel in order to take care of both medical exam and interview?

My husband will be traveling to Senegal from The Gambia (10-hour ride) for his interview, so that means he needs about 2 weeks in Dakar. Luckily we know people and he has some family there, but I still wanted to know what did you all do?

Timeline

Hi Zakirah note that for the medical, you husband have to do it at least 15day before his interview date.

I have read 7-10 days.

And that is what we will do once we receive interview date (my case was expedited)

Thank you!

Timeline

What is your suggestion about when to book a flight for the beneficiary?

I know the earlier the better gets good prices but...

I also know that unexpected things happen at Dakar embassy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.