aussiewench

LAND DOWNUNDER

4,678 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Anybody know the best place to stay in Darling Harbour, my wife wants to do some sight seeing after the interview... and does anybody know how far Darling Harbour is from Martin Place (US Consulate)

04 January 2004 : Met Stephanie in Las Vegas.

15 May 2006 : Joined visajourney

16 September 2006: Got married in Las Vegas.

03 October 2006 : Stephanie applies for certificate of name change.

12 October 2006 : Stephanie recieved certificate of name change.

16 October 2006 : Stephanie applies for NPC, recieves a couple weeks later.

29 November 2006 : Arrived in Sydney, stayed in 4Points Sheraton Darling Harbor.

30 November 2006 : DCF. Submitted I-130 Sydney US Consulate "walk-in Thursday". Packet 3 in hand.

11 December 2006 : Final Medical Appointment with Dr Miller and immunizations. Approved.

11 December 2006 : Sent off DS-230 Parts I and II, and DS-2001 overnight priority.

27 December 2006 : Received RFE in the mail, returned RFE same day.

24 January 2007 : New Legislation preventing approvals of I-130s at Consulate.

30 January 2007 : Final Visa Interview in Sydney.

22 February 2007: Sydney called for my wife to send her passport to issue the visa.

04 March 2007: Stephanie flies back to Australia to post her passport.

14 March 2007: Stephanie Recieves passport and visa.

18 March 2007: Stephanie is in Florida. Journey is over.

30 March 2007: Stephanie gets Social Security Card.

02 April 2007: Stephanie gets Green Card.

"what happens in Vegas, doesn't always stay in Vegas" - david

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi David!!

We stayed in the Marriot Sydney HArbor - right by Darling Harbour. (the second provided link) It was great. A TAD further away from the Consulate - the other Sydney Marriot is closer - and the aforementioned travelodge is even CLOSER.

This...is where we stayed before the interview. We got it for 149 a night on hotels.com. It was a REALLY nice hotel and TOTALLY worth it. We turned our trip to Sydney into a pseydo "second" honeymoon so it was nice.

The next night we switched hotel...(long story short here. We had planned to go to Sydney for a friend's wedding...and booked the hotel at the harbor as we took a ferry to her wedding. We LATER decided to file the same trip - tried to book extra nights in that hotel and it was full so we switched to the first one I linked you to.

THIS... hotel was REALLY nice and also about 150 a night per hotels.com. It was HEAPS nicer than the first one -but further from the consulate. This is the one at Darling Harbor) Most the hotels arond that area are dearer because of the location. Try priceline or hotel.com for cheaper rates. I did priceline, requested my own price and requested a 4 or 5 star hotel!

Hope this helps. I can verify that BOTH of these are super nice. i'm kinda a hotel snob (much to Stewart's dismay).

Edited by CarolineM

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Hi all

Just got back from our honeymoon in sunny Queensland, after my boy Toby and I got married in Melbourne two weeks ago (I'll have to stick a photo up soon, I'm on a borrowed computer at the moment). Sounds like we got married at about the same time David -- congrats to you too!

I've got my medical and police check sorted out, and we're heading to Sydney this Wednesday for Toby to do a Thursday walk-in and file the I-130. As I've got my medical and police check done, I'm going to see if they'll let me file my forms then too so I can get an interview date ASAP. I guess we're the first ones to be doing the new DCF there, so I'll post more info about how it goes. I've been re-reading the posts about people's Sydney consulate experiences, but does anyone have any specific advice/hints you think is worth knowing before we head in??

Chris

30 June 2006 - received packet 3 from Sydney Consulate to do DCF

July 2006 - discover Sydney are changing their DCF process

8 September 2006 - have fingerprints taken, post police check form to AFP

12 September 2006 - medical

21 September 2006 - receive police check from AFP

23 September 2006 - wedding day!

12 October 2006 - hubby files I-130 in Sydney during Thursday walk-in (and I-864). I file DS-230 parts 1 and 2, and DS-2001.

31 October 2006 - interview date... and I'm approved!

1 November 2006 - pick-up visa from Sydney Consulate

14 November 2006 - arrive in the US!

22 November 2006 - greencard arrives in mail

24 November 2006 - social security card and welcome letter arrive

Timeline

What you read is pretty much spot on.

We got there about 7:15 - real early - and hung out in the lobby. (As you can't go up til 7:30...). People are cut throat!! It's crazy! We got jostled around.

Definitely pee before you go up...and don't drink anything once you get up there.

Only take what you need - they take your cell phones, cameras etc...

Be TOTALLY prepared. Have ALL your docs in order. Don't worry....even if you get "Rose" which when I was going through all the talk was how tough she was...she's great - just be prepared.

Other than that - it's a piece of cake :) Oh and also TAKE ALL YOUR PROOF - pics, emails, whatever. We took ours and they didn't even ASK For them. I said, "Aren't you going to look at my photos?" and they said...if you bring 'em - we don't ask for them.

Someone who had gone through before me HADNT brought ANY proof and sure enough -they asked.

I'm so excited to see how it goes for you! I know it will be "Easy peasy" as Sean says!! GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

hi there lunamel

good to hear from you..glad all the medical an police check worked out for you...

i didnt put in a review of the experience cos to me an my hubby it seemed a waste of time and money...

but one thing i would keep an eye on is the way they do the call numbers... if i remember rightly it was window number then you number prob wasnt confusing for anyone else but it was for me lol i read it the wrong way once and i went to the window an it wasnt even me...also take some lollies with you and something to read..

where abouts in melb did you get married ..an do post some pics in the gallery too would love to check um out mate..

well on thurs i go do my biometrics thingy...so will be glad to get that over an done with...

well good luck in sydney mate an let us know how u went...

take care and enjoy oz

kath

p.s. forgot this...when u go into the elevator wait till last to enter cos you will be getting out first an your then first in line..although we were first to sit down we got to the back of the elevator an i was so annoyed about it...hell i arrived earlier than these lot i should be first inline to get a number kinda attitude i had...i know i was bad that day ...im not usually that way inclined lol

Edited by kath&rob

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

hi ya all

was checking the status online checking today and i got a notification that our case for the I-485 was transferred to California...

on the 5th October..took um 4 days to let me know lol

so now just another waiting time...hopefully this means i dont have to have an interview..

take care

kath

Edited by kath&rob

REMOVING CONDITIONS

2nd December..

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Congrats Lunamel my wife and I just set up our hotel. We'll be staying at 4 Points by Sheraton on the Business District side, only minutes away from the MLC Centre, with a harbor view. Kind of costly but my wife wants my first time experience in Sydney to be worth while and memorable.

Lunamel, keep my updated on the things we might need to submit the I-130. Since I wasn't able to get my hands on all the forms before the new changes, I'll have to wait until Sydney sends them to my wife.

As far as proof of relationship, let me know how much of that proof I would need just to submit an I-130 or is that something (proof) my wife will have to bring when she goes for her final interview?

04 January 2004 : Met Stephanie in Las Vegas.

15 May 2006 : Joined visajourney

16 September 2006: Got married in Las Vegas.

03 October 2006 : Stephanie applies for certificate of name change.

12 October 2006 : Stephanie recieved certificate of name change.

16 October 2006 : Stephanie applies for NPC, recieves a couple weeks later.

29 November 2006 : Arrived in Sydney, stayed in 4Points Sheraton Darling Harbor.

30 November 2006 : DCF. Submitted I-130 Sydney US Consulate "walk-in Thursday". Packet 3 in hand.

11 December 2006 : Final Medical Appointment with Dr Miller and immunizations. Approved.

11 December 2006 : Sent off DS-230 Parts I and II, and DS-2001 overnight priority.

27 December 2006 : Received RFE in the mail, returned RFE same day.

24 January 2007 : New Legislation preventing approvals of I-130s at Consulate.

30 January 2007 : Final Visa Interview in Sydney.

22 February 2007: Sydney called for my wife to send her passport to issue the visa.

04 March 2007: Stephanie flies back to Australia to post her passport.

14 March 2007: Stephanie Recieves passport and visa.

18 March 2007: Stephanie is in Florida. Journey is over.

30 March 2007: Stephanie gets Social Security Card.

02 April 2007: Stephanie gets Green Card.

"what happens in Vegas, doesn't always stay in Vegas" - david

Thanks for all the hints guys. And good luck with everything Kath -- hope everything gets finalised for you soon!

David, I'll let you know what they ask for in terms of proof. The checklist for filing the I-130 says to bring proof of the relationship, so looks like we have to do it both then, and when I have my interview. We're taking in photos, wedding photos, our lease, bank account statements etc. Wish us luck!

30 June 2006 - received packet 3 from Sydney Consulate to do DCF

July 2006 - discover Sydney are changing their DCF process

8 September 2006 - have fingerprints taken, post police check form to AFP

12 September 2006 - medical

21 September 2006 - receive police check from AFP

23 September 2006 - wedding day!

12 October 2006 - hubby files I-130 in Sydney during Thursday walk-in (and I-864). I file DS-230 parts 1 and 2, and DS-2001.

31 October 2006 - interview date... and I'm approved!

1 November 2006 - pick-up visa from Sydney Consulate

14 November 2006 - arrive in the US!

22 November 2006 - greencard arrives in mail

24 November 2006 - social security card and welcome letter arrive

Timeline

It may have changed now. Stewart and I took a HUGE box of our letters over the past 5 years. We took hotel receipts, photos with date stamps (only had about five of those...the rest had no date but we took them anyway), wedding photos, emails, call logs...

and they didn't ask for a single piece!

David - we saw that hotel and it looked really nice - we even commented we should stay there next visit!! It's worth the extra money in my mind - cause we wanted our trip to be special too! :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE I am so excited for everyone!!!!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

hi there

well completed the bio appt today..arrived 8.50am out by 9.12am

got hoem received NOA that CSC received our case and emails also..

and today we had our first snow flurries i thought it was hail stones until i opened the sliding door an it didnt hurt lol...so took some pics to send home i just stood at the window watching the flurries and got caught up in watching the different air drifts of the snow falling down....arhhhhhhhhhh sighhhhhhhhhhhhh winter is coming....

so thats my update for the day now we will just sit tight an wait for news from them...

take care

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

2nd December..

Heya Ppls,

Okay Kath, warnin ya right now. If you jump ahead of me again in this visa debarkle I will screeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmm. hehehehe j/k :o

You are already ahead of me, you got your SSN, where I got a dumba$$ who didn't know her job. :wacko:

And, this really bites, CSC actually let you know they got your file. No touches on either the EAD or AOS since September 9th now for me. hmmmmm The CSC and I just don't mix well, me thinks. They were the ones that held us up big time for the K1. :blink:

Oh well, Sh!t happens. :whistle:

2-28-2009 Sent in I-751

3-14-2009 Received I-751 back because they can't read

3-16-2009 Re-Sent I-751

3-17-2009 Received by Vermont

Waiting and watching the calendar flip ever so over closer to 4-2-2009 (When my 2 yr GC expires) . . .

4-2-2009 Received I-751 back AGAIN! Oh and my GC expired today.

4-3-2009 Re-Sent I-751

4-4-2009 Received by Vermont

4-6-2009 Date of NOA-1 Extension Letter (Rec'd 4/13/09)

4-10-2009 Check Cashed

4-24-2009 Date of Biometrics letter (Rec'd 4/30/09)

5-11-2009 Biometrics Appointment in Louisville.

hi mate

if i send ya a sweet email would that help ya lol....an u are right ya know i have been ahead of ya for the whole process mate...but u beat me on getting here an getting married lol

i cant understand how they cant tell ya over the phone that they have it ...this reminds me of the melly debarkel ..remember...

god i hope ya hear something soon even if it was a damm touch it would tell ya something huh ...we will send some postiive thoughts your way mate..

you take care mate an fingers crossed

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

2nd December..

Mojo Mojo Mojo :P

Toucha Toucha Toucha Touch me, I wanna feel diiiirrrrtttyyyy. :dance:

hehehehe I am loooosing my mind... :wacko:

2-28-2009 Sent in I-751

3-14-2009 Received I-751 back because they can't read

3-16-2009 Re-Sent I-751

3-17-2009 Received by Vermont

Waiting and watching the calendar flip ever so over closer to 4-2-2009 (When my 2 yr GC expires) . . .

4-2-2009 Received I-751 back AGAIN! Oh and my GC expired today.

4-3-2009 Re-Sent I-751

4-4-2009 Received by Vermont

4-6-2009 Date of NOA-1 Extension Letter (Rec'd 4/13/09)

4-10-2009 Check Cashed

4-24-2009 Date of Biometrics letter (Rec'd 4/30/09)

5-11-2009 Biometrics Appointment in Louisville.

hi there

ohh that looks so nice caroline....i remember those wine tours in vic ...the sipping the tasting the spitting lol...enjoy mate an take plenty of pics so ya can make me homesick for melb lol

hi kaffykat

your not loosing it ya lost it in the K1 journey lol..(jk) im not at that stage yet...wish there was something else we all could do to help this process easier for us all ...

ok hands in....sing approval .. approval.. approval...yaaaaaaaaaa aussies!!!!

now see what ya done kaffy...im taking your loosing it side lol...

you keep ya chin up mate ...

ohh by the way we were touched for AOS today (13th)

take care

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

2nd December..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.