aussiewench

LAND DOWNUNDER

4,678 posts in this topic

Hi Mara .. the biscuit recipe Shay uses is called Cloud Biscuits .. theyre really light and fluffy and really yummy ... I thought they tasted something between a light scone and a breadroll ... I didnt like them with the white gravy but they were lovely slightly warmed up with some butter and Jam ....

Ohh yum, I like bagels ... and Im looking forward to trying more mexican food ... I rarely eat bread now, I have tortilla's instead, I use them for making rolls etc.

Yeah the only thing that I had that chris called "biscults" was these weird things that came out of a cool exploding can.... they tasted terrible though, and Chris couldn't understand why I didnt like them....

I am making a collection of Aussie recipes to take with me to the states (Pavlova, pies and what not) along with a few things my mum cooks, so that I know if worst comes to worst I can simply cook something that reminds me of home and be all good.

Plus I plan on tracking down a store that sells some Aussie confectionary, I found one in Texas when I was visiting Chris' family, I'm sure there has to be something in the greater DC area....

Hahaha! I don't mind those biscuits, but they aren't "true" biscuits :P For the good stuff, gotta go home made!

I like the food here better than in Australia :blush: I just find that there's better variety, fresher selection of produce, better quality meats, etc

And the few things I do miss from home (meat pies, sausage rolls, etc) I can easily make :P

Okie, see, I'm not the only crazy one!!

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think the selections of prepared food would be greater ... but unprepared products, although we dont have as many brands to choose from the staples are still the same ... flour is still flour, sugar is still sugar, milk is still milk ... rice, pasta etc .... its what you do with it that makes a difference ...

The freshness of produce is determines by where it is purchased ... I havent bought meat, vegetables or fruit from a supermarket in years ... its to expensive and it sits in a storage room waiting for shipping way to long ... We have a farmers market up the street every Sunday and I usually buy the bulk of vegetables from there and I buy my meat from the wholesale butchers .... sure I have to lay out about $80 in one hit but that will last me 2.5 to 3 months ... with the same money what you buy at the supermarket would last you a month and I dont think the quality is as good...

Personally I dont like rich food ... I dont like eating out much and when I do I dont like food with heavy sauces or dressing ... theyre the differences Shay noticed when he was here and has gone home and changed in his diet ... Woohoo I actually got him to stop using as much Mayo, nasty nasty unhealthy stuff that it is ..

You would think the staples would be the same, but they aren't! Meat was the biggest noticeable difference, especially the beef. Aussie beef has a more gamier flavor to it that I do not like at all. Pasta tasted odd and I didn't like the way it cooked. Dairy products tasted different as well--sour cream was the only one I didn't notice anything strange about.

I do agree with you on the sauces/dressings stuff though. I prefer light and simple dishes that are primarily flavored by the natural food and a few spices/herbs. That's probably why I noticed so many of the differences, since I don't tend to disguise my food here either.

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

In a couple months Ill let you know what I think of American food ... Shays from a small town in Oregon, at the moment theyre eating an elk his brother caught the hunting season just gone by ... Now if that aint gamey nothing is! :lol: ... im just glad Shay doesnt hunt, I dont think I could deal with that ...

Im sure there probably is a difference in how the beef, milk and dairy products tastes .. the grass they graze on will make a big difference to the taste.

Today is the Tomorrow, you worried about Yesterday .....

05-Dec-04 Shay and I met online.

17-Feb-07 Shay came to visit me Australia for 5 and half wonderful weeks.

---

02-Oct-08 Shay lodged 1-129F

07-Oct-08 Shay recieved confirmation that NOA1 had been approved

07-Jan-09 Shay recieved confirmation that NOA2 had been approved

14-Jan-09 NVC notification recieved

29-Jan-09 I recieved pk 3 in the mail

29-Jan-09 I recieved passport in the mail

04-Feb-09 I went for my police check

20-Feb-09 medical

24-Feb-09 Picked up medical results *PASSED*

26-Feb-09 mailed pack 3

02-Mar-09 Embassy received pack 3

24-Mar-09 Interview @ 9.00am

!!!!!!!! VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!

27-Mar-09 Visa Arrives in Mail

---

14-Apr-09 Departing for the US

---

02-May-09 Wedding Day

Timeline

We have a store about 2 hours from here so I will be going there when I pick up Kai and stock up on things he wants

I have vegemite and coopers pale ale for me so Im happy ROFL

1000718m.th.jpg

07/15/08[/font] Sent off I 129F

07/17/08 Arrived and picked up by CSC

07/25/08 NOA-1 FINALLY!!!!

07/31/08 CHECK WAS CASHED!

07/28/08 touched!!

12/08/08 NOA2 FINALLY!

12/13/08 NOA2 received in the mail

12/18/08 Called NVC at (603)334-0700 and talked to a nice lady named Rose. Our case was received on the13th and was sent out to sydney...WE WILL SEE!

12/13/08 NVC received letter and said they sent out to Sydney

12/18/08 received letter in the mail from NVC.

12/19/08 another letter from NVC stating it was shipped out

12/24/08 ARRIVED IN SYDNEY at 10:26 am and signed by tom

12/29/08 CONFIRMED it is at Sydney and Good ol Tom did sign for it LOL THANKS TOM!!

12/29/08 Sydney waiting for paper file from nvc and has it requested

12/31/08 Sydney confirmed through email that the paper file was received

01/05/09 His police checks are done and sent off!!

01/28/09 Kai went to his medicals forgot one of his passport pics and needs two more shots all was good!

2/18/09 medicals ready to be picked

2/20/09 packet 3 sent in

2/26/09 pkt 3 received today takes UP to 10 days

04/07/09 interview....APPROVED!!!!

04/20/09 He flew in ..flight was changed he was 3 hours late BUT HE IS HOME

port of entry took 2 mins!! LOL

04/25/09 WE ARE MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

The only thing Im really going to miss is the Milo and beetroot... but we found an online store that have them...

Well I think Ill miss my family and friends a bit too but thats a given...

---

20-Feb-09 medical

26-Feb-09 mailed pack 3

---

---

02-May-09 Wedding Day

Thanks desusan and Kaffy for your replies on my working question.. i know it probably seemed like a silly one but I was just wondering if there is any different with working when you are still "conditonal".

Well I hope those who are waiting for visa's are hanging in there. I have been in the US for almost a year now. Once you have your papers, the agony of waiting will be long behind you. Then you have to deal with the homesick factor! ;-)

My husband and I moved from Hawaii to Chicago 2 months ago. Not loving the weather but loving that the sun is starting to come out every now and then.... hopefully the freezing cold weather will be over soon. So wish we could dump the snow we have here on the bush fires in Victoria. I hope none of your families have been effected in this.. it's just so tragic.

Any of you who are out in the US and job hunting will know the situaton is not too good with unemployment rate that continues to climb. I have been applying for jobs for 2 months straight with only a few small bites. No job yet alhtough I have found volunteer work so it's good to have something else to focus on!

Well hope everyone is well. I hadn't been around here for a while so just thought I would drop in to say hi! ;-)

Good luck and lots of well wishes.. HD xx

Edited by hawaiiandreams

Hubby's application for naturalisation submitted: 2006-01-05

Married in Melbourne: 2006-06-11

I-130 submitted: 2006/07/01

My interview in Sydney! APPROVED!!! 2008-01-22

Entry to the US: 2008-03-17

File for removal of conditions: 2009-12-17

Fingerprinting/biometrics: 2010-01-22

Good luck with your job hunting :)

AnnexoxShay- I was craving tinned beetroot the other day. I havent looked yet to see if they have it instore yet. If they dont I might try and 'make' it myself

And as for Milo.. I drink choc nesquik instead now :P

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Timeline

hi fellow aussies

just wondering, it seems everyone seems to wait over in Australia for a lot, if not all of the K-1 process

has anyone tried to go over on a tourist visa and then filing the K-1 forms as soon as you get there, and applying to extend your stay in the USA until your interview time is ready?

this is my current 'maybe' plan right now.. and I have to decide soon, just wondering if anyone has done similar.

I know nothing about the Tourist Visa (B-2 is it?) and I'm worried they won't let me in for a full 90 days on it, especially since I was just there for 2.5 months - I'm paranoid that they will think "so why did you come over using the VWP and now are right back on an extendable visa? hmmm?"

Ive only ever used the Visa Waiver Program

I don't know about extended stay visas in the US but won't you still have to fly back to Sydney for your interview?

I think if you asked in the K-1 forum you'd get plenty more views and responses :)

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Timeline
I don't know about extended stay visas in the US but won't you still have to fly back to Sydney for your interview?

I think if you asked in the K-1 forum you'd get plenty more views and responses :)

ya, flying back is no problem as long as we can be together for the wait :)

was just curious to ask aussies specifically about the B-2 :)

Timeline

Hi Kaffy ... Ewww Nesquik ... Milo is better! Goodluck making the beetroot ... I informed Shay I was going to order a case when I get there! :lol:

Hi HD, congratulations and all the best in getting a job ... I love your wedding pic, you and hubby both look gorgeous and very happy.

Hi Chixen .. good luck with everything ... Ive never been to the states so I cant help you with your question ... but there is no reason why you cant start the K1 while your in the states ... but yeah I think Kaffy is right I think you need to return to your country of origin for the interview... regardless you need to exit the country and re-enter for the visa to be valid... it needs to be stamped into your passport and they cant do that unless you exit and enter ... Shay and I briefly looked at that option initially but decided as hard as this was, we rather do it right from the start even if it meant being apart a little longer ... kind of didnt anticipate it being another 2 years! :lol: were like an old married couple aready and we arent even married yet!! Well we are in our hearts just not on a piece of paper (L)

---

20-Feb-09 medical

26-Feb-09 mailed pack 3

---

---

02-May-09 Wedding Day

Timeline

Okie dokie ... bit confused here ....

Im pretty much finished putting my pk 3 together ... I went to the courthouse yesterday and ordered a new birth certficate as the one I had was coming apart at the fold line ... I also got a set of American Standard passport photos .... Ive also booked my medical for Friday 20th February .... All I need now is Shays Affidavit to arrive and the new medical certificate and the medical results and Im cruisin'.

I was reading the consulate/embassy Info at http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...&cty=Sydney and it says under Other forms (if Any) the following-

1. processing fee receipt: AU$130 for each applicant. Go to any post office , pay the fee, and obtain one receipt for each applicant, attached to the outside cover of each passport. Valid passport (and any expired passports bearing United states visas)

2. Two Passport-U.S sized photograghs

3. Two completed aplications forms DS-156

4. One completed copy form DS-156k - supplement to form DS-156

5. Long form birth certificate showing both parents names (with engish translation if applicable)

I thought the processing fee receipt and American passport photos got taken to the interview ... am I mistaken? Theres a space for a photo on the DS-156 do the photos get attached to that?

Thanks ...

---

20-Feb-09 medical

26-Feb-09 mailed pack 3

---

---

02-May-09 Wedding Day

Timeline

Hi all,

I have a question regarding packet 3. Me and my fiance ended up sending all originals to the consulate with packet 3 because it seemed to be heavily emphasized on the the DSL-1076 form, for example:

"You are required to furnish the original of each document PLUS one photocopy. This is your checklist & it must be returned to the consulate with form DSL-1076 and your documents as requested. Your original documents will be returned to you at the time of your final visa interview."

"3. Obtain the documents on this checklist which relate to you. Your original documents will be returned to you at the time of your final visa interview."

"4. As soon as you have obtained all of the documents that apply in your case, carefully read the statement on Page 6, complete, sign, date it and return only Page 6 to this office together with all your applicable documents. After the form and documents have been received in this office, you will be scheduled for a visa interview at the earliest possible date. You should send your forms DS-156 /156K with all of your documents together with form DSL-1076. Please mail all of the documents and forms in together to the address listed above."

"COMPLETE AND RETURN WITH YOUR DOCUMENTS THE FORM DSL-1076 & THIS CHECKLIST."

Despite the above, I've seen on a similar post regarding the Sydney consulate saying not to go by what that says on the paperwork and to bring the originals in to the interview ????

Can any one who's recently sent in a packet 3 and gotten interview elaborate on this as we're really confused now??

Thanks,

Shane

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Another thing that is worrying me is the evidence of an ongoing relationship ... We have daily contact via phone and have keep records ... Usually we talk about 1.5- 2hours a day when his working and 3-4 hours a day on his days off .... Because we spend so much time on the phone we've never really had a need to send each other emails or letters .... I have a stack of birthday, valantine and christmas cards ... Obviously we have a lot of picture from when he came to Oz for 5.5 weeks and Im planning to burn those to disc to take with me alone with half a dozen or so developed ones ... Is this going to be enough evidence?

I'm sure that's fine-- My husband and I mostly spoke via MSN, we had little phone records and several trips. They didnt even look at the evidence in Sydney, never even asked for it. Sydney is a very easy going consulate.

I had a strong dislike for most of the food while there in Oz, but I do have to give it to you guys when it comes to chocolate! Top deck and the hazelnut flavored, swirlie one are a tie. Oh, and Tim Tams. When I go back again, I plan on bringing an extra suit case for those and bottles of Bundy!!

You can actually buy Tim Tams from cost plus world market in the US. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Good luck with your job hunting :)

AnnexoxShay- I was craving tinned beetroot the other day. I havent looked yet to see if they have it instore yet. If they dont I might try and 'make' it myself

And as for Milo.. I drink choc nesquik instead now :P

Milo you can find at some of the Asian supermarkets here in the US.... and as for tinned beetroot, you can buy it here: http://tinyurl.com/b6c5nj The Australian Bakery Cafe in Atlanta. My hubby just ordered me two lamington cakes in the shape of love hearts for valentines day - they were sooo yummy!!! :thumbs:

Hope this helps :)

"Two people who belong together make a world..."

K-1:

Done and dusted!

AOS:

11.15.2008 - Our wedding : )

11.22.2008 - Sent AOS via FedEx

11.24.2008 - Package received at Chicago Lockbox @ 8:56am!!

12.03.2008 - Cheque was cashed in!!

12.08.2008 - Received NOA for AOS : )

12.09.2008 - Received NOA for biometrics appointment

12.23.2008 - Biometrics appointment

01.22.2009 - Sent off EAD and AP via FedEx

01.23.2009 - Package received at Chicago Lockbox @ 9:44am

01.30.2009 - Transfer of AOS to CSC

03.20.2009 - AP RECEIVED!!!!!!! HOORAY!!

03.27.2009 - EAD received in the mail! :) time to get ssn and drivers licence and A JOB!! w00t!!

04.02.2009 - Welcome Notice :)

I-751:

11/30/2010 - USCIS sent my 'Notice of requirement to file joint petition to remove the conditional basis an an alien's permanent resident status

12/24/2010 - Application package sent

12/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipt

05/16/2011 - Approval of Permanent Resident Status!!!! :)

N-400

11/01/2012 - N-400 application sent

11/07/2012 - Email confirmation application was accepted

11/08/2012 - Cheque deposited

11/12/2012 - Received Form I-797C, postmarked 11/08/12

11/16/2012 - Completed biometrics

02/27/2013 - Interview

03/27/2013 - Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.