aussiewench

LAND DOWNUNDER

4,678 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding the effects of IMBRA on applications. From what I understood, it is to protect women, therefore the U.S citizen is getting a background check. Well, my better-half in Australia is male...so I have to have a background check to make sure i won't slap him around when he gets here?

hahahahaha on the slapping him around the head.

Ok...now the effects of IMBRA. The act is not only to protect women. That is only a portion of the act. All USC petitioners whether male or female will be subject to certain requirements....these include background checks for criminal history and filing of multiple petitions. Unfortunately the service centers will not be continuing to processing petitions for fiances, by the looks of it, until they have the instructions from Washington re how they are going to proceed in obtaining certain information from the petitioner. It could be a couple of weeks or it could be much longer....thats the problem, no one knows as no information is being released. I feel for anyone filing a fiance petition right now :( This is a long enough process as it is.

All the best to you.

Lorelle

Edited to add.....IMBRA also affects spouses filing the I-129F for the K-3.....It is all K nonimmigrant petitions.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Ladygatsby Phew! yeah on the IMBRA. We already waited long enough for me. Yeah I kind liked the slapping bit too. :rolleyes: There are nearly as many psycopathic women as men. It would be nice if someone was saved through all this upheaval. It is unfortunate for you and many others the changes are happening right now. Hope it all gets sorted quickly.

Oh and thank god Kath. I had it all wrong, I didn't realise you had such a similar situation. I am so relieved. Sorry for your then stress too. Yeah Andrew used to do criminal checks as part of his job and he said it took him no time at all, so when the cops said "oh you just come down and get it done" I thought I'd just walk out with it.

And once again y'all on this site are such a support. Silly girl on the phone, put me right in a spin. So they should have got the FAX then, all being well......and the email......and another email........and the snail mail.........I remembered you had your date changed but thought it was to coincide with your man to come over here or something. The first email was at the library on my server and the second was on outlook. Yeah it's all organised for watching but just on dial-up. Hope you shoulders still on the mend. (F)

Take care all,

Stella.

Stella & Shadow

28-4-2005 Met On-line. Love at first sight (know that can happen now).

8-8-2005 Met in person in the US. Visa Waiver.

22-10-2005 Engaged.

2-11-2005 Flew back to Sydney. Many tears!

5-11-2005 Began visa journey.

2-12-2005 Shadow (Andrew) posts petition.

7-12-2005 NOA1 dated the 5-12-2005.

..................Seems like never ending waiting.

12-4-2006 NOA2 Yee Haa!!!!!!

11-5-2006 Packet 3 Arrives

12-5-2006 Posted Reply and did Police Check

15-5-2006 Medical in Sydney

19-5-2006 Packet 4 Arrives

30-5-2006 Sceduled Interview

..................Interview went well, just waiting on Criminal History checks to post back with that envelopee and passport to get visa.

5-6-2006 Received Criminal History Check in the mail and posted off back to consulate with passport etc hoping for it's return with visa in two weeks.

14-6-2006 Passport and visa recieved in mail. Visa issued the 13th.

24-6-2006 USA here I come

26-7-2006 Received Social Security Card in less than 5 working days after applying.

9-9-2006 Married

Timeline

Oh Kath I forgot to ask. They wouldn't send an email on the weekend, would they??

And I also forgot to say thanks for all the voting and pension info girls. Very handy knowledge. All saved and ready to go on a disk for an airoplane ride. Sooner than later I hope. :yes::star:

Stella & Shadow

22-10-2005 Engaged.

..................Interview went well, just waiting on Criminal History checks to post back with that envelopee and passport to get visa.

5-6-2006 Received Criminal History Check in the mail and posted off back to consulate with passport etc hoping for it's return with visa in two weeks.

26-7-2006 Received Social Security Card in less than 5 working days after applying.

9-9-2006 Married

Stella

I have sent a few emails off to them late in the week and it has been usually the following Monday that I have gotten a response. Doubt they work on a weekend.

Fingers crossed that you hear something soon.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just popping in to say - good luck to everyone with everything - I know we have several interviews coming up!!!

SENDING GOOOOOOOD Vibes to the land down under :)

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

BOO!!!

hehehehe helloooooooooooooooooooo

Yup we been 'busy'. So great to be back home and with my Mikey again. The only place I ever felt I belonged. We have had pretty busy week, getting stuff sorted out and buying some things for the house, but we are almost set now and will finish off the odds and ends that need to be done for the wedding, like sending out the invitations :whistle:

We had a fairly uneventful trip over, the first two planes were early, can you believe that, but the last one to get us to Louisville was a half hour late, typical. We were looking out for him, cause he wasn't allowed past the security gates, my daughter spotted his akubra and said is that him, I looked up and spotted him and the last 50 metres were done in a sprint til we collided, hehehe. A lady from the plane was walking past and said that we made her want to cry :crying: seeing us getting back together after 10 loooooooooong months apart. It was fantastic.

We have just taken up where we left off, with my daughter here this time, she and Mike get on better than her and the 'sperm donor' ever did. hehehe :lol:

It was so cool to surprise his parents and his girls, they all expected us to arrive on the 31st. Luckily it was a good surprise for everyone and they were all happy to see us. Honestly it is like I never left now and the last 10 months never happened apart.

Anyways guys and girls, Mikey is cooking dinner, num num and I better git going and go help him .... eat it. ;) I am getting very spoilt this week... :thumbs:

2-28-2009 Sent in I-751

3-14-2009 Received I-751 back because they can't read

3-16-2009 Re-Sent I-751

3-17-2009 Received by Vermont

Waiting and watching the calendar flip ever so over closer to 4-2-2009 (When my 2 yr GC expires) . . .

4-2-2009 Received I-751 back AGAIN! Oh and my GC expired today.

4-3-2009 Re-Sent I-751

4-4-2009 Received by Vermont

4-6-2009 Date of NOA-1 Extension Letter (Rec'd 4/13/09)

4-10-2009 Check Cashed

4-24-2009 Date of Biometrics letter (Rec'd 4/30/09)

5-11-2009 Biometrics Appointment in Louisville.

Timeline

"Busy" ha :lol: Tears of joy for you Kaffy :cry:

:thumbs::dancing::D

Stella & Shadow

22-10-2005 Engaged.

9-9-2006 Married

Timeline

Kaffy and Mike! So happy for your reunion :) enjoy it!! And keep us posted! Don't just disappear on us!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

awwwwwwww :luv: great to hear things are going well kaffy

News on my front...

1 WEEK until interview :dance::dance:

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Timeline

Just in case i don't get on here much in the near future & in case I forget later & I'm sure you two girls won't need it,

(L) GOOD LUCK (L) for your interviews (F)

....and where's that girl that used to spread that mojo everywhere, I need some mojo for the police check to arrive THIS MORNING please. Heading off to Sydney today unless I hear from the consulate.

Stella & Shadow

22-10-2005 Engaged.

9-9-2006 Married

Will I do Stella

:dance::dance: MOJO MOJO MOJO :dance::dance:

Good luck darlin'.........we're rootin for ya a4080e44.gifa4080e44.gifa4080e44.gif

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Timeline

hi everyone. just popping in to see what's happening.

we went to the indy 500 this weekend...what a blast!! but geez it was hot. 96F - 32 C. after the winter i'm not used to the heat was bad...but it gets that hot in sydney so i survived. the americans were complaining but.

good to see that everyone is well and things are falling into place for you all.

take care,

matt

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone's got one and they all stink!

Timeline

:dance: Yep you did it, yyiiiipppppeeee, all went well. You must have the mojo thingy too. :dance:

Just have to post them back my pasport and and the Criminal History thing when it comes and they post it all back to me, 10 or so days after that.

Look I know it's been said before but I will say it again, got to the loo before you get in that cue. When you get to the tenth floor and at that door, it's just down the stairs behind you. Maybe you don't have bladders like mine and I really did need that cup of coffee but it was definitly not a good idea. If ya gotta go after you been through security you just may have to get in that cue again. I was there for nearly 5 hours, even though I was the 3rd through the door.

So glad to have a bloke here for a bit, G'day Matt. Glad your having fun too. Mmmm not to keen on that heat either.

Anyways, very tired and staying at my cousins in Sydney tonight but I am one very happy little love bunny tonight.

Yiiiippppppeeeeee!!!!

Stella & Shadow

22-10-2005 Engaged.

9-9-2006 Married

whooooooooo hooooooooooooo stella ... way to go stell

smiling frome ear to ear for ya ...thanks for the info on the loo ...dont forget to update your info and do a report for syd for us...

damm i bet it was the longest 5 hours for you too please dont let it be that long for us and the wench lol

so does that put you back a bit longer than u expected to be leaving oz stella...and did the embassey ever get back to you at all ...

looking forward to hearing your experience mate congrats an its great news...another one bites the dust...haaaaaaaaaaay ya ya yaaaaaaaaaaa

whooo hooo

take care on your journey home

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Timeline

Stella: WOOOOO that is awesome news. Sydney is still kicking some major butt!

Matt: I watched almost the whole thing. I LOOKEd hot, but fun! I hope you had a blast. How's the job going? Are you the head pro yet :)

Kath and Lorelle: Not long now :)

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.