captainofiron

Changing name on Russian Passport

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

is that 14 days from her arrival in the US or 14 days from the date of marriage?

- ehm, neither :). 14 days before I-94 expiration date.

I will try to explain on my own example (guess there are some good English words to explain it faster but i just can't find them :) ).

I arrived Feb 18th, 2010, so in the

airport the officer gave me the i-94 with expiration date May 19, 2010 (02.18.2010 + 90 days = 05.19.2010). The last date when i could have had my SS card last name

changed based on my K1/I-94 was May 5th, 2010 (14 days prior to May 19th, 2010).

But we went to SS for a name change May 6, 2010 - and it was day later than we should have. Sad :). They will still change it but now only after I get the GK.

the I-94 is the little paper they stapled to the inside of her passport right?

- yes :)

Thanks, fortunately the SSA office is pretty close to my house.

Yes we had been trying to get her a state ID, but you need 1 photo ID (visa) 1 proof of ID (SS card) and 2 proofs of residency in NM

so we had 2 out of the 4, so we were waiting on the SS card name change which would then let us put her name (new not maiden) on my bank account which would give us all 4 for the state ID

you seem to be on the right way - SS and at least the state ID so that she had some documents before the rest of the docs are ready. Good luck :)

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-06-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-25

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-24

NVC received: 2009-10-02

Yellow Envelope received: 2009-10-26

Interview - Dec 18, 2009 :)

Slim, applying for AOS and getting a work permit are sometimes different things. Some apply for work permit based on K1 just upon arrival and they say some ports of entry (NY if i'm not mistaken) can

stamp a work permit in the passport of the newly arrived fiancee :).

Applying prior to marriage will not update a new name in the SAVE system so SSA will not be able to issue an updated SSN card. However, once ANY papers are filed after the marriage - in the new name - their name will be updated in the SAVE system and SSA can issue a new SSN card.

captainofiron, you can change your wife's name on SSN card immediately after marriage based on the marriage certificate but! it should be done prior to 14 dates until the expiration date on I-94.

This is a nice gray area that if you're fortunate enough to fall within the time frame of, you can technically do it. However, SSA officials still might not issue a new card because the name is not updated in the SAVE system yet.

It had nothing to do with the person at SS office, the system just blocks the profile and doesn't let them change anything.

They have to be updated through the SAVE system first.

They will still change it but now only after I get the GK.

You don't actually have to wait for your green card to arrive. As long as you have the NOA letter from your AOS application - something showing your new name is updated in the SAVE system - you can get your new SSN card.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually it does alot, my bank and several other institutions will not allow me to add her to my accounts and what not because the name on the marriage certificate and her social security card do not match

Wow Captain !

slim may be right .... look at another bank !

Just this morning Olga and I went to my bank .... showed her ss card ( maiden name ) and our marriage cert. and 10 minutes later she is on the account and we are walking to the coffee shop.

I-129F sent 01/27/2010
Rcv'd CSC 01/29/2010
NOA1 notice date 02/01/2010
NOA1 rcv'd 02/08/2010
" Touched " 03/04/2010
email notice APPROVED! 03/04/2010
touched 03/08/2010
hardcopy NOA2 rcv'd 03/10/2010
NVC email pkt enroute 03/29/2010
CIS touched again?! 04/01/2010
NVC RECEIVED ! 04/09/2010
NVC sent to embassy 04/15/2010
Embassy received 04/22/2010
Interview date 06/11/2010
APPROVED !!!! 06/11/2010
POE Chicago 07/22/2010
MARRIED !!!!!!! 07/27/2010
AOS,EAD,AP sent 10/01/2010
Rcv'd Chicago lockbox 10/04/2010
NOA rcv'd 10/18/2010
Bio appt. letter rcv'd 11/03/2010
Bio appt. 11/26/2010
Interview letter rcv'd 12/08/2010
Interview appt. 01/11/2011
Email EAD/AP approved 12/14/2010
EAD card arrival 12/20/2010
Re-scheduled Interview 03/01/2011
APPROVED !!!!!!!! 03/01/2011
Green Card ARRIVED !!! 03/11/2011
I-751 R.O.C. sent on 12/05/2012
I-751 packet delivered by USPS to CSC 12/06/2012
check cashed 12/10/2012
Rcv'd NOA 12/10/2012 ... dated 12/06/2012
12/17/2012 Bio letter rcv'd ... Bio appt. 01/02/2013
Biometrics completed 01/02/2013

APPROVED 05/24/2013

Letter rcv'd 06/01/2013

Card arrived 06/20/2013

Timeline

Well Just to give an update Kailey was 100% right, we went into the SSA and it took them about 15 minutes and we walked out of there with a letter showing her new name my address and her same social security #

so it was great,

I think the I-94 in her passport showed it was valid till October something.

The good news about this letter from the SSA is that it allowed us to get her a New Mexico ID also since it showed her residence at our address there in NM, but also served as identification as her SSN

AWESOME

anyways about the bank, I guess its because its a federal credit union? I dont know

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

a New Mexico ID also since it showed her residence at our address there in NM, but also served as identification as her SSN

Very cool that you got all that taken care of.

the bank, I guess its because its a federal credit union?

It's usually "bank policy" that requires ID of a certain kind. As far as I know, there is no law as to who can and cannot be on your account.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Very cool that you got all that taken care of.

It's usually "bank policy" that requires ID of a certain kind. As far as I know, there is no law as to who can and cannot be on your account.

the problem wasnt that she would be on my account, it was with the surname being her married vs maiden name, because we had no id showing her married name matching the marriage certificate

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

the problem wasnt that she would be on my account, it was with the surname being her married vs maiden name, because we had no id showing her married name matching the marriage certificate

Aha. So it's not that they wouldn't add her? Just wouldn't add her in "that name." Now that she has her new ID, have they added her?

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Aha. So it's not that they wouldn't add her? Just wouldn't add her in "that name." Now that she has her new ID, have they added her?

Yea with the new SS card and the NM ID it was no problem

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Yea with the new SS card and the NM ID it was no problem

Cool. So many hoops... so little time to jump through them all!

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Cool. So many hoops... so little time to jump through them all!

Yea no joke, it was an awesome feeling getting all that done in 1 day, we would have gotten the Civil surgeon to sign off on her medical packet too in the same day but that clinic was terrible and lazy, they closed at 1, but they had been trying to hurry us out since like 11:45, I thought God forbid you have to stay till 1:15

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

they closed at 1,

Bumzh.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.