FrancElsie

K-1's Get your Social Security Number ASAP!!!

62 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think much of it has to do with how many immigrant social security applications the local office deals with. We have a lot where we live, and we had zero problem. We got married four days after arrival on the K1. About one week later we went to the local office and they handled it with no questions. Card issued in married name and all was well.

Our K2 duaghter however, had to wait until she got her green card.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

My Fiancee and I went to the Social security office to file for his social security card now that he's been here for 3 weeks. The lady at the office let me know that somehow the I 94 form that was filled out at the POE didn't have his first name on it (and the half that is stapled in his passport doesn't have his first name on it either :( She got several other ladies to try and help her look for him in the computer but it didn't get filed correctly or something so he's not in the system under his name. She was nice and tried looking for him several ways but I guess you can't try and order a social security number with no first name.

What do I do???

He needs a social security number before we get married in 5 weeks when his k1 visa will technically be 'expired' (according to the lady at the office).

My Fiancee and I went to the Social security office to file for his social security card now that he's been here for 3 weeks. The lady at the office let me know that somehow the I 94 form that was filled out at the POE didn't have his first name on it (and the half that is stapled in his passport doesn't have his first name on it either :( She got several other ladies to try and help her look for him in the computer but it didn't get filed correctly or something so he's not in the system under his name. She was nice and tried looking for him several ways but I guess you can't try and order a social security number with no first name.

What do I do???

He needs a social security number before we get married in 5 weeks when his k1 visa will technically be 'expired' (according to the lady at the office).

1. He filled out the I-94 so he didn't read the instructions that said "name." He filled it out - it didn't fill itself out.

2. He does not need a SSN to get married. There is a federal law abut it.

He can try to get the I-94 corrected, but I don't think it will work out. You will probably have to wait until he gets his EAD. At that point what his I-94 says won't matter anymore.

Having a SSN does not protect his status. Filing AOS will protect his status. You do not need a SSN to file AOS or to get married.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thank you all for the valuable information. I was just excitating about doing it right away or waiting after the marriage. Now, where can I find the website with the details for getting a SSN in MD?

This SSA page has the list of offices you can visit:

http://www.ssa.gov/phila/states/maryland.htm

ROC:

17-JUN-2016: Filed I-751

24-JUN-2016: VSC NOA

09-JUL-2016: Biometrics appointment Raleigh, NC ASC

AOS:

04-JAN-2014: POE

07-JAN-2014: Filed for SSN

18-JAN-2014: Wedding in Wilmington, NC

31-JAN-2014: Filed for AOS (lockbox received 01-FEB-2014)

05-FEB-2014: NOA1 for I-485, I-765, I-131

04-MAR-2014: Biometrics in Raleigh, NC

09-APR-2014: I-765/I-131 approved

14-APR-2014: EAD/AP Card Received (mailed 11-APR-2014)

14-MAY-2014: Notice of delay in processing, estimated completion NOV-2014 :(

28-JUN-2014: Reception in Wilmington, NC

11-AUG-2014: Card production notice! :)

15-AUG-2014: Hardcopy I-797 Approval of AOS

18-AUG-2014: Card in hand.

K1:

25-DEC-2012: Proposal!

10-JAN-2013: Filed I-129F (lockbox received 12-JAN-2013)

16-JAN-2013: NOA1 VSC (hard copy received 22-JAN-2013)

30-MAY-2013: Transferred from VSC to TSC

24-JUN-2013: NOA2 electronic notification (hard copy received 27-JUN-2013)

16-JUL-2013: USCIS sends to NVC

22-JUL-2013: Case number assigned, sent to MTL. (called DoS instead of NVC)

24-JUL-2013: Case received at MTL. (hard copy received 27-JUL-2013)

08-AUG-2013: Packet 3 mailed to MTL via XPressPost (MTL received 12-AUG-2013)

20-AUG-2013: MTL logs Packet 3 and sends Packet 4 (happy birthday Christopher!)

28-AUG-2013: Medical (Dr. Seiden, results received 03-SEP-2013)

07-OCT-2013: Interview (Approved!)

10-OCT-2013: Visa ready with Loomis! (picked up 17-OCT-2013)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This SSA page has the list of offices you can visit:

http://www.ssa.gov/phila/states/maryland.htm

:thumbs:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife applied for hers 16 hours after she arrived, went back the next morning and got the NUMBER. she had the card in hand in 6 days.

Apply in the name exactly as in the passport, change it later if you want after you have a green card, the number stays the same.

If they tell you that you cannot do this, get a supervisor.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Gary got lucky - Alla also - as her POE record was IN THE SAVE database system when she walked in to the SSA office. Kudos to the POE staff that day, yay ! Double kudos to the SSA staff that were adequately trained to use the SAVE lookup system, as well. Many offices don't have the same level of competent staff that Gary and Alla stumbled into - so be prepared, aye?

Alas - sometimes getting an SSN is fraught with problems, either time/timing or SAVE DB problems. I've written a bit on this, over at http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/ - have a read, plan accordingly. Pay particular notice for what to do about SAVE db lookups and make certain you apply in the VISA name.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Does anyone know if you already have a SSN from a previous work visa do you need to get another one upon arriving in the US or can you use your old number?

AOS+EAD Sent 8-9-13

AOS+EAD Received 8-13-13

EAD NOA1 8-13-13

AOS NOA1 8-15-13

AOS+EAD Biometrics 9-17-2013, Walk-In 8-29-2013

EAD Approved 10-15-13

AOS Interview 12-18-13

E-REQUEST 2-3-14

INFOPASS Appointment 2-12-14

AOS Approved 2-24-2014

• 5 months later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm hoping someone will can answer a couple basic questions:, basically with #1 I'm hoping for the opposite of the original posters issue..(we want to get her SSN card/number AFTER the wedding)

1.) In the STATE of OH, to get a marriage license (we want to marry in 15 days) and she has been here for 10 days as of today....IS A SSN required for her BEFORE the marriage license or will OH issue a marriage license without one for her? (she arrived on a K1 Visa) we'd prefer to get it afterwards so we don't have to deal with a name change, plus the office is over 1 hour away, we'd rather do it later if possible! Our wedding is on Sept 21st, too much to do and would rather put this off for now IF POSSIBLE.

2.) I keep seeing reference to an I-94 form, which she never received, I pulled up an example to show her and she's positive she never filled it out or seen it before...they just stamped her passport, she didn't get any other forms...is that a problem?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This thread was started 3 years ago, so it might have been a good idea to start your own thread for the most recent information.

The I-94 is now automated. You retrieve the info here > https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Contact your local county court where you will purchase the license and let them know she has no SSN. They will most likely have her use her passport instead. See what they tell you.

If you get the marriage certificate back from the court while you still have more than 2 weeks left on the I-94, then go to the SSA and attempt to apply for the SSN in her married name. Be aware that many SSA workers have no clue about immigration and what is needed and some will say she cannot get the SSN now that she is married, Some will say she is no longer on a K-1 because of the marriage, which is of course not true at all. You may need to speak to a supervisor, and if all else fails, return later when she has the EAD after filing for AOS. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This thread was started 3 years ago, so it might have been a good idea to start your own thread for the most recent information.

The I-94 is now automated. You retrieve the info here > https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Contact your local county court where you will purchase the license and let them know she has no SSN. They will most likely have her use her passport instead. See what they tell you.

If you get the marriage certificate back from the court while you still have more than 2 weeks left on the I-94, then go to the SSA and attempt to apply for the SSN in her married name. Be aware that many SSA workers have no clue about immigration and what is needed and some will say she cannot get the SSN now that she is married, Some will say she is no longer on a K-1 because of the marriage, which is of course not true at all. You may need to speak to a supervisor, and if all else fails, return later when she has the EAD after filing for AOS. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Thank you for the info! I will start my own thread about #1, hoping to find someone who just happens to know OH rule on this....as calling courts have proven to be a real chore.

Thanks again!

- Brett

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Old thread (but still with good information) moved from K-1 Process forum to the Social Security Numbers subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This might be an old thread but I'd share my experience with the SS office. 1st....I had no clue my girl could get a SSN a few weeks after she is here. I assumed after we got married on a K1 Visa. By the time I got home from out wedding and honeymoon I read on here that you have to go to the office before 14 days of your I-94 expiring. I'm like "Great! My girl is gonna be pissed!" After all I was reading on here about people being turned away for this or that I told my girl we were late to the office and we have 2 days left before 14 days. So we decided to go the next morning. I get home and my girl is being lazy and decides she doesn't want to go today but tomorrow...now we have one day left! So I get home from working 13 hours, jump in the car and go...we get there 2 minutes before the office opened. We sign our name and see we are the 9th person. I'm thinking this will be a 4 hour ordeal. We got out number and when we sat down they already called 461...we were 463. 10 minutes later we were called to our window. The woman there was in her late 20's. We came dressed normal, not looking like poor bums. We said Hi with a smile and said I need to get my wife a new SSN under a K1 Visa. I handed her the paperwork and her passport. I spelled her middle name incorrect on the SS-5 form but the woman fixed in the PC no problem. No questions asked and 5 minutes later we left with the woman telling us her SS card will be here within 14 days. End of story....it was painless and free and took 15 minutes max!

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

once I get the Social security number, with"not work authorized"

I'm currently on a K-1 visa, awaiting my EAD, I have a biometrics appointment at the end of this month

So if I get a social security number now, and it says "Not work authorized" When I do get my EAD,

do I need to go back , to get the " Not authorized to work " removed from my social security card at the local social security office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.