FrancElsie

K-1's Get your Social Security Number ASAP!!!

62 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good thing we didn't experience that nightmare. We went there about a month ago (we were not yet married then). What I did was to fill out the application online, printed it then took it with us to the SS office. The guy didn't even ask for my birth certificate. He only asked for my passport. He then told me that I would receive the card after 2 weeks, however, it was in the mail exactly a week after we filed.

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Brilliant discussion, I have a question to ask here...

Does anyone know if minor children should get their SS#'s before wedding or wait until after the wedding when Mom & Step Dad are already wed?

Is there a place here with some regulationss regarding K1 Visas & SS# that could be printed to bring along to the SS office>

Can you point that out?

This website ROCKS!!!!

Kim

Here is the info you will need and a link to SSA information. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

There you will see that K-2, K-3, and K-4 all need EAD work authorization to get a SSN.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Here is the info you will need and a link to SSA information. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

There you will see that K-2, K-3, and K-4 all need EAD work authorization to get a SSN.

I-551 - Wikipedia

There are those (yes, here in Westchester) in the SSA office that look at the I-551 stamp in your passport

(which represents the equivalent of the GC) that shake their heads dumbfounded when you show them

your passport. Don't take any excuses (I had to reassure him that it WAS her green card approval).

He keyed it into the computer and then in surprise, said it was OK.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

out of curiousity, I went to the SS website to find the closest office location to me for future reference. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but the site won't load up the 'find an office near you' page. it does the eternal loading page thing. is this just an issue on my end, or is it being an asshat for everyone else too? http://www.ssa.gov/

02-date forgotten-2008: met online playing a game called lineage 2

06-17-2009: met in person for the first time!

06-26-2009: proposal <3

10-6-2009 through 11-3-2009: lived together for a month

03-24-2010 through 03-30-2010: traveled to meet his family

06-16-2010: started printing paperwork for I-129F package

06-25-2010: mailed off the I-129F package!!!

07-06-2010: NOA1 (according to the paper I hadn't got yet)

07-08-2010: check cashed

07-12-2010: hard copy NOA1 received in the mail

07-12-2010: touched

10-03-2010: touched

10-29-2010: NOA2!

11-08-2010: NVC received our petition

01-01-2011: called embassy as we never got packet 3. got "lost" in the mail. worst 2 months ever!

01-18-2011: medical! passed!

02-18-2011: INTERVIEW! APPROVED!!

03-02-2011: FLIGHT! POE: Dulles Airport!

03-09-2011: marriage certificate/license complete!

05-11-2011: mailed out AOS package (after a long fight getting the varicella vax done, and the medical paperwork completed)

05-13-2011: package delivered

08-11-2011: welcome to the united states notice! green card coming in 3 weeks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The first thing you should ALWAYS do when having problems is WRITE DOWN THEIR NAME AND ID NUMBER!! All federal employees have ID numbers, especially those in units such as IRS, SSI, etc. Then I would go straight to

my Congressman's office and lay it all on them. Believe me, they are there to help you and they have direct lines to all the federal agencies and can make the appropriate inquiries and then get things done for you. They

hate congressional people inquiring into their business but they get the job done.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

out of curiousity, I went to the SS website to find the closest office location to me for future reference. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but the site won't load up the 'find an office near you' page. it does the eternal loading page thing. is this just an issue on my end, or is it being an asshat for everyone else too? http://www.ssa.gov/

Works fine for me. Whatever problems they were having have probably been corrected.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have researched & printed out all I can find on SS#'s here oin this site, but still have not seen any thing about children of the beneficiary & SS#'s for them? Do you wait until after the wedding to get kids numbers? How does this work?

Thanks, anyone know the answer to this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have researched & printed out all I can find on SS#'s here oin this site, but still have not seen any thing about children of the beneficiary & SS#'s for them? Do you wait until after the wedding to get kids numbers? How does this work?

Thanks, anyone know the answer to this?

IF they came in on a K-2 or K-4 visa (the children) - then they are not eligible to apply until they have either EAD card or I-551 document (stamp in passport or GreenCard) in hand .

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Works fine for me. Whatever problems they were having have probably been corrected.

nope, it's something on my end then. still wont open. *kicks site*

02-date forgotten-2008: met online playing a game called lineage 2

06-17-2009: met in person for the first time!

06-26-2009: proposal <3

10-6-2009 through 11-3-2009: lived together for a month

03-24-2010 through 03-30-2010: traveled to meet his family

06-16-2010: started printing paperwork for I-129F package

06-25-2010: mailed off the I-129F package!!!

07-06-2010: NOA1 (according to the paper I hadn't got yet)

07-08-2010: check cashed

07-12-2010: hard copy NOA1 received in the mail

07-12-2010: touched

10-03-2010: touched

10-29-2010: NOA2!

11-08-2010: NVC received our petition

01-01-2011: called embassy as we never got packet 3. got "lost" in the mail. worst 2 months ever!

01-18-2011: medical! passed!

02-18-2011: INTERVIEW! APPROVED!!

03-02-2011: FLIGHT! POE: Dulles Airport!

03-09-2011: marriage certificate/license complete!

05-11-2011: mailed out AOS package (after a long fight getting the varicella vax done, and the medical paperwork completed)

05-13-2011: package delivered

08-11-2011: welcome to the united states notice! green card coming in 3 weeks!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

I applied for SSN on Jan. 25th 2011, 3 weeks after arrival. I was already married by that time, but that doesn't really matter. The person that accepted my application for SSN didn't ask any question, it went with no problem.

Problems began later... I still don't have it and no idea when I'll be able to get it... The SSA says they haven't got verification confirmation from USCIS (which they do through the SAVE system). So I made the appointment with the local USCIS and went there to find out whether i can "push" it through somehow. The first time i went the officer was very reluctant to help, said I'm not entitled for SSN till I get my EAD, there is no any database, and overall it's not his business and nothing can be done here.

I scheduled another appointment and decided to come better prepared, print out all their rules from USCIS and SSA websites regarding SAVE database and being eligible for SSN. But this time I got luckier and didn't need it. The officer I spoke to told me that he can see me in the database. But the place SSA sends requests to is at a different location (somewhere in NY if I'm not mistaken, at least for my area - Washington DC). There is no tracking information for these requests whatsoever and nothing can be done, just wait till that agency sends confirmation letter to my SSA office. He said honestly that it's very inefficient, in fact, such hold-ups aren't unusual. He actually apologized too.

So, to sum up, when you apply for an SSN, first ask them to check if you're in SAVE system, (if that is possible at all, some people mentioned it in this thread already). However, I'm not sure if they always have to send a request to the USCIS or only in case when that applicant's name isn't in the SAVE system.

If I get my EAD any time soon, I'll probably go to SSA office and try to get the number based on EAD, because it should serve as a valid ID and no verification would be required (again, that's my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong). But there is another "what if" - what if by bad luck they fail to cancel my first application and I end up getting 2 SSNs...

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

I am having trouble getting a social security number. (I'm in New Orleans, Louisiana). Social security refused to issue me one after three attempts. I finally phoned the National Visa Center for advice and they immediately replied "No, absolutely not.". K1 visa holders cannot be issued a SSN until after the marriage and change in residency (I-485) are filed. The reason is that at any point in time a fiance can decide not to get married and leave the United States forever. She indicated that some people may have been able to persuade the SS offices to grant them a number, but the official policy is NO SSN until after the I-485. I also ran into trouble with my bank (Chase). I was able to open the account without a SSN but then received a letter from National Account Certifications stating that the account would go into withholding because I did not have sufficient evidence of my foreign status. You would think my Canadian passport, US visa, and Canadian ID would be enough evidence--but it wasn't. Also, they wanted me to fill out the W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification and Certification. However, this form requires you to sign that you are a US person defined as "An individual who is a US citizen or US resident alien". However, I am neither. I am a Canadian resident (and an American non-resident) until I am married and my change of status is approved. Therefore I cannot sign the W-9. Further, it is a $500 civil penalty if you supply false information on the W-9 with regards to withholding. I spoke to my personal banker about this (who is awesome) and we decided that once I have the marriage certificate, I'll bring that in and it should solve the problem (They give you about a month and a half before they "seize" your account). In the meantime, I photocopied all the documentation I have that proves I am a Canadian citizen living in this country legally, and sent it to the return address on the letter including an explanation of what a K1 visa is. Hope that works.

Edited by Sarah and Jon

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ohh I am sorry that this happened to you.

I have one question: I am planning on getting one week after I get there in the U.S, and since it is necessary to wait a couple fo weeks until requesting a SSN I will be already married whenever I am able to get one. So, can I apply to get a SSN after I get married?

Thanks!

K1 Journey - Vermont Serv. Center
I-29F sent: Nov-12-2010
I-29F NOA1: Nov-17-2010
RFE: Apr-19-2011
*I-29F NOA2: May-23-2011 - Thank you Lord!
Package Left from NVC: Jun-1-2011
Interview Date: Aug-5-2011
K1 Visa Received: Aug-10-2011
US Entry: Aug-12-2011
*Wedding Date: Aug-21-2011!!!

AOS & EAD
Applied for SSN: Aug-30-2011
*SSN received: Sep-09-2011
AOS and EAD process sent (USPS): Sep-26-2011
NOA1 sms notice: Oct-14-2011
Got check back of $380 for EAD: Oct-20-2011
$1070 cashed check: Oct-21-2011
NOA1 hardcopies for I-485 & I-765: Oct-21-2011
Biometrics: Dec-15-2011
*EAD received: Jan-6-2012

I am having trouble getting a social security number. (I'm in New Orleans, Louisiana). Social security refused to issue me one after three attempts. I finally phoned the National Visa Center for advice and they immediately replied "No, absolutely not.". K1 visa holders cannot be issued a SSN until after the marriage and change in residency (I-485) are filed. The reason is that at any point in time a fiance can decide not to get married and leave the United States forever. She indicated that some people may have been able to persuade the SS offices to grant them a number, but the official policy is NO SSN until after the I-485.

This is incorrect. K-1's are eligible for a SSN before marriage. Someone on the misinformation line told you wrong. In fact, I would suggest getting the number before marriage, because it makes things easier (sometimes the clerks think you now need a K-3 visa or some other nonsense). It's not that they need to convince anyone - the law is a remnant of times when a SSN was required for marriage. To the above post - yes you can get SSN after marriage as long as you have time left on your I-94 - though you should come prepared with information to avoid any confusion the clerk might have (saying you need K-3 visa etc).

Here is the SS guide from VJ:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Welp, pretty much the same here as a lot of people here.

Went to the SS office 2-2 1/2 weeks after POE. Wasn't surprised when the name couldn't be found. Been almost 4 weeks now since they "did the manual check",in which they said it could take 2-4 weeks.

Oh well, my fiancee isn't in a rush as she won't be working while she finishes college and she doesn't need a SSN for that so she'll probably just wait for EAD/Greencard before going back and getting the unrestricted SSN in her married name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.