Mags

UK B!tches Unite!

670 posts in this topic

Bloody hell I'm not even gone for 2 days and I miss out on all the fun.

Listen I understand the "romanticism" of pirates but you people are deluding yourselves, they are very dirty and vitamin deficient. Also, don't look too closely at their hair because you might see something move in it.

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Bloody hell I'm not even gone for 2 days and I miss out on all the fun.

Listen I understand the "romanticism" of pirates but you people are deluding yourselves, they are very dirty and vitamin deficient. Also, don't look too closely at their hair because you might see something move in it.

Thank you for destroying the myth of pirates that look like Fabio on the cover of a romance novel.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Elmcitymaven ~ I was referring to this post in regards to the baiting comment I posted.

Rob&Mel ~ I don't believe my interpretation is bizarre at all. It's a comment which was posted to incite a reaction from another member (in this case a moderator), and it's pretty clear that the intention was to upset or make fun of or instigate an argument. However you have the right to your opinion on this and suggestions are welcomed in the Site Discussion forums.

And I'm just doing my job.

It was an honest question. To call that a TOS violation is about as lame as it gets.

It was an honest question. To call that a TOS violation is about as lame as it gets.

It was a personal attack, for which you were given a pass. If you truly cared about Kathryn's welfare, you would be sending a PM or e-mail, not calling her out in public.

Timeline

It was a personal attack, for which you were given a pass. If you truly cared about Kathryn's welfare, you would be sending a PM or e-mail, not calling her out in public.

So from the extra special attention that certain threads are getting from moderators, I can only surmise that there has been a change in moderating. Is it the now policy for moderators to micromanage certain posters and threads?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

An attack? ReallY???????? That's quite a stretch William. You'll know when I've actually attacked someone. And it will not even remotely resemble that innocuous question. Seriously, get a grip mods.

Thank you for destroying the myth of pirates that look like Fabio on the cover of a romance novel.

Maybe Gwen Stefani can give them makeovers (and some fruit).

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mags,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I recall when working together with you in moderation, that we often times struggled over some of the issues that continue today. My perspective on profanity and vulgarity is this: If a new member reads some of this material from legacy members, they cannot possibly ascertain the potentially good natured context it was delivered in. This is after all, an immigration help website.

One possible solution to this may be, a disclaimer on OT and the regionals, that clearly states the expected content.

Further, that the majority of posts are from seasoned members or those that have largely finished their journey.

Edit: Spelling.

Absolutely. Many of the same issues are still apparent and I highly doubt they will ever go away. I recall that when it was you, LaL and I modding, we would remove offensive threads (racism etc) but ones with bad/crude language, unless they were in the upper forums, would be allowed to stay.

The lower forums are a different creature and, I believe, should be allowed some leeway when it comes to bad/crude language. You have to admit, things have been taken to the extreme over the last few days. The post that was removed earlier is a prime example of this.

And it all comes down to context once more. The posts removed from here were done so unnecessarily. The context in which they were posted was not a TOS violation. I think, deep down, you know this. ;)

Remember, Ewok specifically came out a while ago to make a point of this, stating that some bad language, in context, is fine.

And not every report needs to be acted upon. You know, as well as I, that some VJ members just troll through the forums reporting everything and anything, especially if they have a grudge against certain members.

This is an ADULT forum. It will have ADULT themes. We don't need to be protected against bad language, for crying out loud. What we do need to get a handle on is the bigotry and racism that is popping up in OT perpetuated by a very small handful of regular posters.

Thanks for reading, William. :)

Edited by Mags

Timeline

Absolutely. Many of the same issues are still apparent and I highly doubt they will ever go away. I recall that when it was you, LaL and I modding, we would remove offensive threads (racism etc) but ones with bad/crude language, unless they were in the upper forums, would be allowed to stay.

The lower forums are a different creature and, I believe, should be allowed some leeway when it comes to bad/crude language. You have to admit, things have been taken to the extreme over the last few days. The post that was removed earlier is a prime example of this.

And it all comes down to context once more. The posts removed from here were done so unnecessarily. The context in which they were posted was not a TOS violation. I think, deep down, you know this. ;)

Remember, Ewok specifically came out a while ago to make a point of this, stating that some bad language, in context, is fine.

And not every report needs to be acted upon. You know, as well as I, that some VJ members just troll through the forums reporting everything and anything, especially if they have a grudge against certain members.

This is an ADULT forum. It will have ADULT themes. We don't need to be protected against bad language, for crying out loud. What we do need to get a handle on is the bigotry and racism that is popping up in OT perpetuated by a very small handful of regular posters.

+1

I'd go and create more accounts to give you more +1's, but apparently, that is a violation of ToS. :lol:

Mags,

We will make this priority one on our next chat with Ewok. We are all willing to support his decision on this and all other issues. It is his website after all. As an aside, context is a very slippery slope. As you know, everyone interprets the written word differently, especially given the cultural differences and acceptability that goes with it. Hopefully, we can reach a level of acceptable agreement going forward.

Regards,

William

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mags,

We will make this priority one on our next chat with Ewok. We are all willing to support his decision on this and all other issues. It is his website after all. As an aside, context is a very slippery slope. As you know, everyone interprets the written word differently, especially given the cultural differences and acceptability that goes with it. Hopefully, we can reach a level of acceptable agreement going forward.

Regards,

William

Fair enough.

However, I will ask that, in the meantime, you all chill a little when it comes to this thread. We're a feisty lot here and we have been welcoming to all who have joined in. Any crude comments or profanity are said in jest, for fun or are anecdotes.

I would also ask that if you DO get any reports about things in this thread, to see who the person reporting it is. If they are NOT someone taking part then I suggest putting it into perspective a little. They are probably doing it to get back at someone in this thread and, by deliberately sending moderation in here, thusly manipulating you too.

VJ may be a "family based immigration website", however, by family it means immigration for families, not that it is the kind of website you'd let your kids onto. This is a common misconception, I feel. "Hey, kids! Instead of a bedtime story, let's log onto VJ! It's time for some family time!"

We're all adults in here. We want to have a laugh and a joke. Give us some credit when it comes to our language. :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.