Mags

UK B!tches Unite!

670 posts in this topic

I was going to b!tch about something, but now I've forgotten what it was. My memory has failed me again! @#%$@#!!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

My b!tch is tense coworkers. My new "Supervisor"- he likes to remind me all the time that he's my supervisor even though we all coped perfectly fine without one for ages- is a self-confessed OCD obsessive. A simple project that should've taken 10 minutes took us an hour because he kept obsessing over exact measurements. He's also incredibly uptight. He likes to make a mountain out of a molehill, give me constant unneeded updates (such as literally telling me about the time later that he's going to tell me something), and generally unpleasant to be around. He has to wipe the sweat from his head with a paper towel, has shakey hands, and keeps referencing his high blood pressure over simple work tasks.

I'm such a laid-back person and we clash immensely.

I told him he needs to chill out if he expects to have children in the next year or two (which he does), and he insists that "oh trust me, you need to be OCD with kids". Erm, no, you need to learn flexibility and to relax.

:bonk:

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

My b!tch is tense coworkers. My new "Supervisor"- he likes to remind me all the time that he's my supervisor even though we all coped perfectly fine without one for ages- is a self-confessed OCD obsessive. A simple project that should've taken 10 minutes took us an hour because he kept obsessing over exact measurements. He's also incredibly uptight. He likes to make a mountain out of a molehill, give me constant unneeded updates (such as literally telling me about the time later that he's going to tell me something), and generally unpleasant to be around. He has to wipe the sweat from his head with a paper towel, has shakey hands, and keeps referencing his high blood pressure over simple work tasks.

I'm such a laid-back person and we clash immensely.

I told him he needs to chill out if he expects to have children in the next year or two (which he does), and he insists that "oh trust me, you need to be OCD with kids". Erm, no, you need to learn flexibility and to relax.

:bonk:

He can't have real OCD, because anyone with real OCD would rearrange the letters into CDO, so they were in alphabetical order. :whistle:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Timeline

Holy smokes, Gemmie! That guy is gonna crash and burn. I used to work with a guy like that.... sans the sweaty brow and shaky hands, though. Thankfully, I worked with him and not for him. Very intense and irritating sometimes. But if you wanted a job done correctly and completely, he was your guy. :lol:

iagree.gif

Oh definitely. He is great at his job, pays loads of attention to detail, etc.

I just want to tell him to SHUT. UP. Especially now that I'm struggling to keep my eyes open at my desk with all the hormones, and I have him telling me pointless updates. I can't even politely hide it anymore. I just look at him, say OK, and turn away. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: England
Timeline

What is it with bosses?

Mine just found out that, rather than having time to help out on a nine-figure estimate, he's suddenly needed to work on a low seven-figure change on a different project all week. :blink:

Who here thinks it may have something to do with not wanting to sit in his office up here in the North-East (he's sat in there once in the last six months)? :whistle:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sick of summer. Please can it be autumn now.mad.gif

Indeed. It was 105 here today. Six degrees above normal! :ranting:

Kvetch-worthy: Our local bar (within stumbling distance) is closed for two weeks for remodeling! Howevah, I think there's a good chance that they'll tear up the carpeting in the restaurant area, which would be an improvement.

Could this post be any more boring and less relevant?

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Filed: Timeline

Carpeting in a restaurant made me go ew.

I am happy that our weather has finally changed to something tolerable. I have finally been able to turn off the AC and open the windows! Love that. Fall is definitely in the air, though. Trees have started turning and some are even dropping leaves. That makes me sad. :( It's supposed to be a colder snowier winter this year. That makes me sadder.

iagree.gif

One thing I don't miss about Britain -- carpeted bathrooms.wacko.gif I'll never forget my very first bedsit in London had wall-to-wall in there and it was nasty. Even nastier was my first marital abode, which had SHAG carpeting in the bathroom. Now I have tile. Like a first world person. :P

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Original 70s shag carpeting? Groovy!

Actually, a close friend and former boyfriend (the same guy who gave up toothpaste for a few months because he thought it was a scam and ended up needing some dental work as a result) lived in his childhood home, which still had shag carpeting from the 70s. It had lost a lot of its shag, and the result was very uneven carpeting that looked like it was alive. His dad, who owned the house, kept offering to replace the flooring, but my friend insisted that it did just fine and "covered the floor." It was actually quite gross! I guess not everything can be retro.

I should add that this is in the Phoenix area.

Here's a question: What happened to the fuzzy toilet seat cover?

K-1

AOS

I asked Jon what percentage of bathrooms in the UK he thinks are still carpeted. Taking into account that he hasn't lived there for nearly 7 years and that almost everyone he knows has tile flooring now, his "game show" guess is 30%.

K-1

AOS

That sounds about right. I remember finding maggots in the carpeting in the kitchen once in our place in Kentish Town. I gagged and nearly vommed. I had recurring nightmares for weeks that the maggots were coming to get me.dead.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.