Mags

UK B!tches Unite!

670 posts in this topic

That's a lot more excitement than what's going on here! My project for the week is to sell Limita's infant car seat, stroller, exersaucer, and swing. I'm getting a little sentimental. :(

Awwwwww. Limita's a big girl now!star_smile.gif

Today's gripe: dyspepsia after beers last night. wacko.gif And a demurrer to draft today. And beginning trial prep. And a huge stack of filing. And I have to work in a visit to the DMV in the next 6 days to renew my registration. BLEH!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Awwwwww. Limita's a big girl now!star_smile.gif

Today's gripe: dyspepsia after beers last night. wacko.gif And a demurrer to draft today. And beginning trial prep. And a huge stack of filing. And I have to work in a visit to the DMV in the next 6 days to renew my registration. BLEH!

can't you do that online?

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Even the lame-o state of Arizona has a decent and fast online registration renewal. :star:

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Yes, but it's too soon to the expiration date for me to get the stickers in time. However, my local DMV has a groovy machine where you input your renewal number, swipe your debit card and out pops your registration and stickers! Amazing. I was in and out in 10 minutes (most of that was waiting in the line to use the machine).

Even the lame-o state of Arizona has a decent and fast online registration renewal. :star:

I am actually pretty impressed by all the stuff you can do online on the CA DMV website now. When my DL expires next year, I can renew it online. Although I wish I still had my CT licence picture -- it's pretty foxy.blush.gif

Two mandatory settlement conference briefs due today, another demurrer for Monday, revamping website, couple of letters, and my filing is out of control.

Roll on, Friday evening.sad.gif

Two mandatory settlement conference briefs due today, another demurrer for Monday, revamping website, couple of letters, and my filing is out of control.

Roll on, Friday evening.sad.gif

Well, at least it's not boring!

Did you mention something about applying to law school for next year?

I'm thinking about enrolling in a paralegal course through the community college system. I've always been interested in legal things but don't have it in me to consider law school (expense, rigor, stress, etc.). I've been doing more or less the same thing for a dozen years now, and I'd like to learn something new. What do you think?

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Well, at least it's not boring!

Did you mention something about applying to law school for next year?

I'm thinking about enrolling in a paralegal course through the community college system. I've always been interested in legal things but don't have it in me to consider law school (expense, rigor, stress, etc.). I've been doing more or less the same thing for a dozen years now, and I'd like to learn something new. What do you think?

Oh yes! I'm going back to do my LLM, which will essentially convert my English legal qualifications into something that will allow me to sit for the Bar in California. I basically do a lot of baby lawyer stuff now even without my licence, which is not that uncommon.

My mom was a paralegal for many years before she entered the high stakes world of rare bookselling, and a LOT of what you end up doing as a paralegal is basically baby lawyer stuff too, once you get a handle on things. I think some lawyers get snooty about paralegals, but I can tell you the work can be challenging, intellectual and pretty rewarding. It does have a lot of grunt work too, don't get me wrong. You also have to deal with crazy clients, tight deadlines, unsympathetic judges' clerks, etc etc, but someone of your smartypantsness would probably really enjoy it.

I recommend doing the paralegal course, even though people can and do start their career without training. Getting a basic handle on what all the bits of paper are, and how a case flows, is really helpful. Also, after you've been doing the gig for a while, the rewards can be quite surprisingly good. Do it!star_smile.gif

Filed: Timeline

Ohhh, yay for this conversation! I have been pondering paralegal certification as well. But I was put off thinking the end job may have me incessantly citing legal cases and adding 350 words to CMA when one would have sufficed. Please tell me it isn't so.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Oh yes! I'm going back to do my LLM, which will essentially convert my English legal qualifications into something that will allow me to sit for the Bar in California. I basically do a lot of baby lawyer stuff now even without my licence, which is not that uncommon.

My mom was a paralegal for many years before she entered the high stakes world of rare bookselling, and a LOT of what you end up doing as a paralegal is basically baby lawyer stuff too, once you get a handle on things. I think some lawyers get snooty about paralegals, but I can tell you the work can be challenging, intellectual and pretty rewarding. It does have a lot of grunt work too, don't get me wrong. You also have to deal with crazy clients, tight deadlines, unsympathetic judges' clerks, etc etc, but someone of your smartypantsness would probably really enjoy it.

I recommend doing the paralegal course, even though people can and do start their career without training. Getting a basic handle on what all the bits of paper are, and how a case flows, is really helpful. Also, after you've been doing the gig for a while, the rewards can be quite surprisingly good. Do it!star_smile.gif

Thanks! And thanks for the encouragement. It would certainly be a change of pace. :)

Ohhh, yay for this conversation! I have been pondering paralegal certification as well. But I was put off thinking the end job may have me incessantly citing legal cases and adding 350 words to CMA when one would have sufficed. Please tell me it isn't so.

Then you could hire an editor! :dance:

K-1

AOS

This thread is still going? Holy #######!

Today I have a hangover and a yeast infection. :o

That sounds like QUITE a party!star_smile.gif

Rant: my boyfriend is being weird. My mom is coming to visit me in June (I haven't seen her in over a year) so I told him last night that she was going to visit, and that she would love to meet him at last. He groaned and said, "So I'm meeting my future mother-in-law?"

Um.

W.T.F. I've never talked marriage with him, never dropped a hint. Now he's making little comments left and right about how it's what I secretly want, and that my talk about FINALLY filing for divorce (going to do it next month!) is just so I can strongarm him into proposing, etc. This b!tch is now twitchy that it's what HE wants! helpsmilie.gif

Edit to add: I am NOT looking to get remarried at all. I've had enough of matrimony!

Edited by Honey Crumpet

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Did MelissaandJulian ever get married?

I heard a rumour that Alex ran off with Melissa's sister.

Bored mind needs to know!

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

That sounds like QUITE a party!star_smile.gif

Rant: my boyfriend is being weird. My mom is coming to visit me in June (I haven't seen her in over a year) so I told him last night that she was going to visit, and that she would love to meet him at last. He groaned and said, "So I'm meeting my future mother-in-law?"

Um.

W.T.F. I've never talked marriage with him, never dropped a hint. Now he's making little comments left and right about how it's what I secretly want, and that my talk about FINALLY filing for divorce (going to do it next month!) is just so I can strongarm him into proposing, etc. This b!tch is now twitchy that it's what HE wants! helpsmilie.gif

Edit to add: I am NOT looking to get remarried at all. I've had enough of matrimony!

i just spotted this! I think he's getting matrimonial. (L)

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.