Peikko

Oh, the joys of American politics...

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Term limits - particularly for parliamentarians - are a horrible idea. Many states have them and I fail to see that there's better representation and less political grandstanding going on the states. And even if you institute term limits, the career politicians will still be around.

4 years on the school board, 4 years in the city council, 4 years at the county, 4 years in the state house, 4 years in the state senate, 4 years in the US House and then 6 in the Senate. Voilà, 30 years spent in politics the term limits be damned.

I agree.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree.

But we limit the terms to 2 for president. Or should we just try to go the way of Hugo Chavez and open up the path for Obama to be elected indefinitely?

RoC Timeline

08/20/2012: Sent I-751 to California Service Center

Our Immigration Checklist

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

But we limit the terms to 2 for president. Or should we just try to go the way of Hugo Chavez and open up the path for Obama to be elected indefinitely?

Limiting Governors and Presidents makes sense. But for legislating, it takes years to become refined with deal-making. Some of the most memorable politicians we've had spent their whole careers legislating. There's no substitute for on the job training and experience.

A poor person is more likely to want to go into politics in order to get rich than a wealthy person.

If you accidentally leave your wallet someplace, a poor person is more likely to steal it than someone who's rich.

I don't agree with your hypothesis at all. Nothing about being rich, poor or somewhere in between precludes one from entering politics in order to gain wealth or more wealth. Conversely, none of those same conditions guarantees that the person entering politics will enter politics simply for financial gain. What one can say conclusively is that vested interests always have their own interests center front while there are some politicians who enter politics in order to create better conditions for 'the people'. More than that, some people wish to create better conditions for the people from a basis of experience, and others simply due to unswerving belief in an ideological position.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Limiting Governors and Presidents makes sense. But for legislating, it takes years to become refined with deal-making. Some of the most memorable politicians we've had spent their whole careers legislating. There's no substitute for on the job training and experience.

Isn't it the "deal making" that leads to corrupt deals? I can understand making deals with fellow legislators and those across the aisle, but that "deal-making" also makes its way to the corporate and other interests--you know, for campaign contributions.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the system is not perfect and quite honestly, doesn't work for Americans. If they actually worked for us, we'd hopefully have a more secure border and not be in so much debt.

RoC Timeline

Filed: Timeline
Isn't it the "deal making" that leads to corrupt deals? I can understand making deals with fellow legislators and those across the aisle, but that "deal-making" also makes its way to the corporate and other interests--you know, for campaign contributions.

Which points back to the deficiencies of our campaign finance system. That's the issue, not the term limits.

Timeline

Which points back to the deficiencies of our campaign finance system. That's the issue, not the term limits.

But if terms are limited, representatives and senators can be less concerned about being re-elected (well, at least in their final term) and actually concentrate on law-making. The whole idea is to get them to not spend so much time raising campaign funds and more time working for us.

RoC Timeline

Filed: Timeline

But if terms are limited, representatives and senators can be less concerned about being re-elected (well, at least in their final term) and actually concentrate on law-making.

No, then they will concern themselves with securing lucrative post-elected-office careers.

Timeline

No, then they will concern themselves with securing lucrative post-elected-office careers.

Then fire them all and appoint me as benevolent dictator! :rofl:

RoC Timeline