Heracles

Slumdog star says Hollywood is racist

270 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Considering westerns aren't as popular as they use to be you could probably get away with saying that.

Well the hundreds of thousands of people who dont agree with you will speak louder in the history books than you.

:lol: You probably like him for what you think he represents rather than his acting abilities, but that's ok, that's what many movie goers go to movies for. They'll see a movie because of who is in it rather than whether the movie itself is appealing to them. This is often regarded as being star struck. You happen to have a man crush on John Wayne. That's cool.

Considering westerns aren't as popular as they use to be you could probably get away with saying that.

Exactly. We're actually using Aussies and Britons to make our westerns now. (Great flick, by the way.)

based on a preconceived idea of what filmgoing audiences want to see (quite apart from reality) - film casting generally isn't decided by popular vote.

So, if it's based on what filmgoing audiences want to see... and the popularity of how they vote with their dollars... then how is that not based on reality?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:lol: You probably like him for what you think he represents rather than his acting abilities, but that's ok, that's what many movie goers go to movies for. They'll see a movie because of who is in it rather than whether the movie itself is appealing to them. This is often regarded as being star struck. You happen to have a man crush on John Wayne. That's cool.

Wayne was the Steven Seagal or Chuck Norris of the Hollywood golden years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

And why is that a problem?

Is it wrong for a business to be successful? You said my reference to making it more PC was inaccurate but that's basically what you're saying they should do by casting someone BECAUSE of their race instead of in spite of it. I will agree with you, exclusion based on race (all other things being equal, not our specific cab driver instance) is wrong. But, inclusion because of it is just as wrong, probably even more so. .

I never suggested casting anyone because of their race (unless it's integral to the role).

Of course Hollywood wants to be successful. But if you put everything together - Hollywood knows that America wants to see mostly white lead actors so they cast white actors in roles that could be filled just as easily by a minority actor - it isn't hard to see how claims that Holloywood is institutionally racist arise. Again, I'm not suggesting that Hollywood start systematically casting Asian actors in their main roles, just pointing out how the way things work can be perceived as being racist.

Timeline

Exactly. We're actually using Aussies and Britons to make our westerns now. (Great flick, by the way.)

So, if it's based on what filmgoing audiences want to see... and the popularity of how they vote with their dollars... then how is that not based on reality?

It's based on a studio executives preconceived idea. That isn't "reality"

and thats your opinion. Personally I liked Charles Heston in The Planet of the Apes. :wacko:

I think Simpson's flirting with you, Six, inspired by your sig. :wub:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Acting standards were lower in Waynes day, but there were certainly "good" actors - Cary Grant? Marlon Brando? Katherine and Audrey Hepburn? Spencer Tracy?

I could just as easily say that about the music nowadays. Its all about timing but in the end you do have to put something put together that is professional you will not be as big as John Wayne or Tupac.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Slumdog was successful because it is a very compelling story, not because of Dev Patel or any other actor. He is not striking in appearance or acting capability, imho.

Hollywood casting agents should check out Aamir Khan! Check out "Taare Zameen Par" (Like Stars on Earth), "Lagaan", "Fanaa", and "Ghajini". I would pay $10 to see him on the big screen anywhere!

HOT HOT HOT (and smart, too)

:thumbs:

:lol: My current favorite is Akshay Kumar. While he and Aamir have done typical Bollywood musicals, they have also done movies outside of that concept and I like them. :thumbs:

Edited by chri'stina

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline

I could just as easily say that about the music nowadays. Its all about timing but in the end you do have to put something put together that is professional you will not be as big as John Wayne or Tupac.

:lol: John Wayne and Tupac?

Timeline

All of the other actors I mentioned were working at the same time as Wayne.

Wayne wasn't a versatile actor, that's not an outrageous statement. Wayne didn't take challenging or diverse roles.

Timeline

All of the other actors I mentioned were working at the same time as Wayne.

Wayne wasn't a versatile actor, that's not an outrageous statement. Wayne didn't take challenging or diverse roles.

Can you imagine him doing the Ten Commandments or Planet of the Apes? :rofl: