Heracles

Slumdog star says Hollywood is racist

270 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If Tyler Perry is racist for making films about Blacks, then Philip Roth is racist for writing about Jews. It's a silly argument. Perry doesn't pretend to be anything more than he is, there's nothing wrong with telling stories with an ethnic dimension.

I'm willing to bet Slim has never read any of Philip Roth.

Filed: Timeline

he stole your movie part, didn't he?

What bothered me throughout the movie was how the alleged slumdog had the accent one only gets from an upper-crust education. You don't think there are good actors in India who actually do come from the slums (or close)? There are, but they had to cast Dev Patel in the role. What's he bit##in' about? He benefited from the same bias he's whining about now.

Eva Mendes was VERY GOOD in that movie. She's so talented!

Fo' real. She's got a nice tappable a s s too.

"If Tyler Perry is racist for making films about Blacks, then Philip Roth is racist for writing about Jews. It's a silly argument. Perry doesn't pretend to be anything more than he is, there's nothing wrong with telling stories with an ethnic dimension.

It's questionable however that stories which do not, which is true of a lot of big films, tend to feature White actors. There is no satisfactory reason for that.

So you're saying it's OK to be racist as long as you're typecasting people into a certain role but not when the role is "made up?"

I haven't really watched any of his films. Aren't they ethnocentric? Could you see two white dudes playing Cheech and Chong? Or a whitey playing George Jefferson in the Jeffersons? Nope.

Yes, they are ethnocentric and no, I can't imagine anyone else being George Jefferson. But what we're getting above is they should be just so we can stop being so racist.

It's like "It's OK, as long as they're doing it. But we shouldn't be allowed to do it or else it's racist."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

What bothered me throughout the movie was how the alleged slumdog had the accent one only gets from an upper-crust education. You don't think there are good actors in India who actually do come from the slums (or close)? There are, but they had to cast Dev Patel in the role. What's he bit##in' about? He benefited from the same bias he's whining about now.

Oh touche'.

Yes, they are ethnocentric and no, I can't imagine anyone else being George Jefferson. But what we're getting above is they should be just so we can stop being so racist.

It's like "It's OK, as long as they're doing it. But we shouldn't be allowed to do it or else it's racist."

Can you name a specific contemporary movie that required the lead actor to be white?

I'm willing to bet Slim has never read any of Philip Roth.

I don't read many books at all. I read a lot of magazines, journals, newspapers, internet info, etc.

I watch a sh!t-ton of movies though!

Can you name a specific contemporary movie that required the lead actor to be white?

Rudy.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No part of our society is totally free of racial bias. I think that the majority of Hollywood is concerned with putting a55s in seats and choosing 'A list' actors that can do it. Do you think that Danzel Washington gets paid more per film than Tom Selleck because hes black? Danzel is great actor that has proven himself and most directors would love to have him.

So why are there so few A-List actors from Patels ethnicity? What about Middle easterners? Orientals?

It's a reasonable question.

And we're not even addressing the bias in the stories Hollywood tells. It definitely exists.

Timeline

I don't read many books at all. I read a lot of magazines, journals, newspapers, internet info, etc.

I watch a sh!t-ton of movies though!

You're missing a lot.

Edited by El Buscador

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Fo' real. She's got a nice tappable a s s too.

both good points :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Making something an issue because of race is racist. Purely and simply, if you're attempting to factor in the color of their skin instead of their abilities and who they are... it's racist.

Unfortunately, if I'm looking for a Haitian cab driver to play a part in my next movie, I'm not going to call Justin Long. Racist. Yes. A fact of life? Also, yes.

I disagree. Not all racial discrimination is racist - some of it is perfectly justifiable - like in your Haitian cab driver example. And lest you think I am a "reverse racist", you shouldn't call Dev Patel for the part of the Swedish cab driver either.

The question is why can't the lead in a blockbuster be Korean-American? Not saying that the part should be written for a Korean-American actor, but should one be excluded from consideration because he doesn't appeal to mainstream America?

I agree with your point that the problem isn't that Hollywood is racist, it's that Hollywood is giving America what they want to see - and it's not Jennifer Aniston opposite Dev Patel.

There are three questions in my post. "yes" is not the answer to any of them.

What? Are you trying to get me to do your homework for you? I will get you started. Monk, Shannon Elizabeth ...

Filed: Timeline

American History X.

I don't think a black guy would work as a white supremacist. Not unless it was the Dave Chappelle show.

NSFW!!! (MODERATORS: this is a comedy sketch. watch it all before you fire.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7hxfMHV9A0

Edited by Legacy member