Heracles

Slumdog star says Hollywood is racist

270 posts in this topic

All they prove is that a film is or isn't financially successful. That's it. Nothing else.

And the studio will go with which indicator for future productions?

You know, out where I live there are many very nice neighborhoods in the suburbs with excellent schools and no crime... that are majority non-white. But these neighborhoods never make it into the movies because (I suspect) these neighborhoods are the minority :lol:

When you ask "those people" what pops in their head when they think of suburban, middle-class America, what do the tell you?

Indeed. And the real point surely (as illustrated by the poster with the acting relative) is whether race is a factor that makes an ethnic minority actor more or less likely to get a big break.

Of course it's a factor. Nobody has said it isn't. What's been argued is that Hollywood isn't necessarily racist because it is discriminatory based on how someone looks.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Jackie Chan doesn't have to play a terroist, geek or taxi driver (like Robert DeNero).

Unless I'm mistaken, Jackie Chan is not a minority in his entertainment market,

and even when he appears in more "international" films he pretty much stays within

his strengths which are martial arts and a comedic good-guy image. I don't think

you'll hear him complaining about that, but recently he has expressed his wish to

get less physical and more dramatic roles.

He has the clout to get them if he wants them.

The slumdog star can find himself out of work like many one-time flash-in-the-pan actors

who were holding out for only "oscar nomination roles." There are many great actors

out there who take on roles in independent films that they believe in and accept lower

salaries because they believe in the project. It's those kind of roles that make the

producers of major films look at the real talent that's there and sign them on the dotted line.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

I have no interest in Barbra Streisand. Should I say it again?

Perhaps bigger print will do the trick.

I

Have

No

Interest

Whatsoever

In

Barbra

Streisand

Settle down there turbo. I think if you take a step back you will realize that you two have a lot in common.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And the studio will go with which indicator for future productions?

That the film does or does not make money? Sure.

What it does NOT tell you however, is what the formula of that success is. Going back to your earlier statement that Hollywood chooses white actors because they are what "America wants" based on "reality" - It certainly doesn't tell you whether a chinese american actor in a lead role would be less profitable than a white actor.

Surely if Sun-continental or oriental asians are not generally chosen for lead roles in big budget films, then there is simply no way to know that filmgoing audiences would not respond well to them or that a film would make or lose money as a result.

The issue here is that there is an establishment of well-known actors that the studios know are bankable and so they are less willing to take risks on less well known actors. The question I am putting to you is why that establishment exists and why there are very very few hispanic, native american, arab, subcontinental or oriental A-list actors.

Do you seriously think the status quo exists without there being some sort of racial bias going on? On some level?

The alternative, surely, is the idea that there are not many actors from those ethnicities or they simply aren't very good at what they do. Which sounds more plausible to you?

Of course it's a factor. Nobody has said it isn't. What's been argued is that Hollywood isn't necessarily racist because it is discriminatory based on how someone looks.

It's not necessarily racist. But it's certainly true that certain ethnicities are better represented in Hollywood than others, specifically when it comes to leading roles.

IMO that doesn't happen without some sort of bias - it doesn't have to be outright racism for this to be the case.

Settle down there turbo. I think if you take a step back you will realize that you two have a lot in common.

Yet you seem to be more interested in her than I am.

Timeline

Unless I'm mistaken, Jackie Chan is not a minority in his entertainment market,

and even when he appears in more "international" films he pretty much stays within

his strengths which are martial arts and a comedic good-guy image. I don't think

you'll hear him complaining about that, but recently he has expressed his wish to

get less physical and more dramatic roles.

He has the clout to get them if he wants them.

The slumdog star can find himself out of work like many one-time flash-in-the-pan actors

who were holding out for only "oscar nomination roles." There are many great actors

out there who take on roles in independent films that they believe in and accept lower

salaries because they believe in the project. It's those kind of roles that make the

producers of major films look at the real talent that's there and sign them on the dotted line.

Jackie Chan isn't an American actor either - he's from China. As is Jet Li and Chow Yun Fat. All of those actors came to Hollywood from Hong Kong cinema.

I honestly can't name many big-name Chinese/Japanese American actors - off the top of my head the only ones I can think of are Lucy Liu, John Cho, George Takei and Pat Morita. None of those are "leading" actors.

It's not necessarily racist. But it's certainly true that certain ethnicities are better represented in Hollywood than others, specifically when it comes to leading roles.

I think you mean over rated. :yes:

Jackie Chan isn't an American actor either - he's from China. As is Jet Li and Chow Yun Fat. All of those actors came to Hollywood from Hong Kong cinema.

I honestly can't name many big-name Chinese/Japanese American actors - off the top of my head the only ones I can think of are Lucy Liu, John Cho, George Takei and Pat Morita. None of those are "leading" actors.

:secret: Dev Patel isn't a American actor either.

Timeline

:secret: Dev Patel isn't a American actor either.

Yes I know.

Which is why I asked you earlier if you could name any ;)

I think you mean over rated. :yes:

No. I mean what I said:

A lot of big named actors are overrated (Harrison Ford for instance), but that has nothing to do with the above.

Yes I know.

Which is why I asked you earlier if you could name any ;)

Well then really no need to tell us how Jet Li isnt a American actor. Besides why does it even matter. They are different races getting plenty of movie time but now according to you it only counts if they are American :wacko: A good actor will get time on the screen regardless of race or country, that has been proven time and time again. :yes:

No. I mean what I said:

A lot of big named actors are overrated (Harrison Ford for instance), but that has nothing to do with the above.

To try and argue Dev Patel point in any way shape or form is ridiculous but it is nice to see that even Hollywood cant escape the racist card pulling nuts.

Edited by _Simpson_

Timeline

Well then really no need to tell us how Jet Li isnt a American actor. Besides why does it even matter. They are different races getting plenty of movie time but now according to you it only counts if they are American :wacko: A good actor will get time on the screen regardless of race or country that has been proven time and time again. :yes:

Erm... no. Let's try again shall we.

(1) It doesn't "only" count if they are American, but (2) it is interesting that big-named asian actors like Jet Li and Jackie Chan are essentially imported from overseas film markets whose careers were built outside of the Hollywood studio system.

Ergo - (3) why does the US not have asian actors of its own in leading roles?

To try and argue Dev Patel point in any way shape or form is ridiculous but it is nice to see that even Hollywood cant escape the racist card pulling nuts.

Ridiculous "because you say so" isn't a convincing argument. I said earlier - I doubt that in Dev Patel's case that his career problems can be pinned exclusively to a lack of opportunities for asian actors in Hollywood.

This isn't a "race-card", all that says is that you are close-minded and have already made-up your mind that the idea of a racial bias in Hollywood is BS. It isn't BS - it's self-evident. Look at the films that are currently playing (in fact, pick any summer/holiday film season) and see which actors are in the starring roles.

why does the US not have asian actors of its own in leading roles?

Because Jet Li kicked Russell Wong's ####.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Erm... no. Let's try again shall we.

(1) It doesn't "only" count if they are American, but (2) it is interesting that big-named asian actors like Jet Li and Jackie Chan are essentially imported from overseas film markets whose careers were built outside of the Hollywood studio system.

Not the point. Hollywood gave them time on the big screen regardless to their race. So can you please take the racist aspect out of this. Calling Hollywood racist is as stupid as blaming Republicans for the pitiful condition California is in.

Ergo - (3) why does the US not have asian actors of its own in leading roles?

Because maybe theres better actors abroad. Why does everything have to be a racial issue with you people.

Ridiculous "because you say so" isn't a convincing argument.

If only that was all I had said on this issue. :rolleyes:

I said earlier - I doubt that in Dev Patel's case that his career problems can be pinned exclusively to a lack of opportunities for asian actors in Hollywood.

And yet you wont let the racist aspect of it go.

This isn't a "race-card",

Dev Patel is using the race card. :yes:

all that says is that you are close-minded and have already made-up your mind that the idea of a racial bias in Hollywood is BS.It isn't BS - it's self-evident. Look at the films that are currently playing (in fact, pick any summer/holiday film season) and see which actors are in the starring roles.

So what, this doesnt point to a racist element.

Timeline

Entirely the point Mr Simpson. If the biggest Asian actors in Hollywood come from foreign film markets it kind of suggests that Hollywood wasn't interested in them until they had established themselves outside of the Hollywood system. Which begs the entirely reasonable question: why are there so few domestic Asian actors in prominent film roles. Can you answer that?

The answer is one of the following:

1) there are few Asian film actors

2) Asian film actors tend to be worse actors

3) there is some degree of racial bias