Heracles

Slumdog star says Hollywood is racist

270 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You'd like to herd us all into the ghetto?

be sure to pick up your benefits folder on the way.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I'm asking you how a decision to cast a white actor over a minority one via the assumption that doing so is what "America wants" is based on anything tangible.

So far you've made a couple of sweeping statements and thrown box office and Dvd ticket sales at me. neither is proof of what you claim.

Lets keep race out of it. Woody Allen would make a great lead in the die hard series huh?

you know you're still gonna drive into the ghetto at 2am to score cheap crack.

Your up till 2AM?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Should Hitler be played by a Native American, Indian, or black simply so we can "give everyone a fair shake?"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

that's mighty white of you, good sir

just helping a brother out.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Of course not. No one has suggested anything of the sort.

But yet we have to make concessions for otherwise "white" roles just because it's not specified what color the character is?

Simply put, and to use your example, when you cast a family from middle-class suburbia, they're white. While it's true there is a minority presence in many neighborhoods, they're still "the minority family in the white neighborhood." As racist as it sounds, that's not based on racism... that's based on reality.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Both are proof of what I claim.

It's called marketing. Marketing is based on reality and perceptions, not on "what makes us all feel good and included."

All they prove is that a film is or isn't financially successful. That's it. Nothing else.

Filed: Timeline

But yet we have to make concessions for otherwise "white" roles just because it's not specified what color the character is?

Simply put, and to use your example, when you cast a family from middle-class suburbia, they're white. While it's true there is a minority presence in many neighborhoods, they're still "the minority family in the white neighborhood." As racist as it sounds, that's not based on racism... that's based on reality.

You know, out where I live there are many very nice neighborhoods in the suburbs with excellent schools and no crime... that are majority non-white. But these neighborhoods never make it into the movies because (I suspect) these neighborhoods are the minority :lol:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The only real "rule" is that the guys with the deep pockets in Hollywood don't like to (and I don't blame them for this) take risks with their money. Sure, they could use their money to find out whether the American public is "ready" for a narrative they weren't "ready" for in the 1970s, or they could use their money to make more money. The take the latter route and I understand that.

Indeed. And the real point surely (as illustrated by the poster with the acting relative) is whether race is a factor that makes an ethnic minority actor more or less likely to get a big break.