Heracles

Slumdog star says Hollywood is racist

270 posts in this topic

ANITA SINGH

August 10, 2010

dev-patel-420-420x0.jpg

'Institutionally racist' ... Dev Patel wants to show his versatility. Photo: AP

Hollywood is institutionally racist, and Asian actors are limited to roles as terrorists, taxi drivers or geeks, says the Slumdog Millionaire star Dev Patel.

When the film about the Mumbai slums became a surprise hit, winning eight Oscars including best picture last year, it was expected that Patel's career would take off. But the English actor, 20, has been frustrated by the lack of decent roles on offer and is jobless.

''Because Slumdog was such a big hit, there was a lot of pressure in terms of what I did next,'' he says. ''For my second film, I wanted a role that would stretch me, but all I was getting offered were stereotypical parts like the goofy Indian sidekick.

''Asian actors tend not to be sent Hollywood scripts that are substantial or challenging. I'm likely to be offered the roles of a terrorist, cab driver and smart geek.''

Patel says that he wants to show his versatility as an actor.

''You have to remember that before Slumdog the last film about India that went big at the Oscars was Gandhi, as played by Ben Kingsley,'' he says. ''The fact that me and Freida have any kind of platform in Hollywood is a big step forward.''

Freida Pinto played Patel's love interest in the film and is now his real girlfriend. The Indian-born former model has had more success than Patel, winning a role in Woody Allen's latest film. But he hopes to overcome any prejudice.

Patel was plucked from the relative obscurity of the teenage TV drama Skins to make his film debut in Slumdog Millionaire.

The film he chose for his second role has been mired in accusations of racism. The Last Airbender is based on a children's television cartoon in which the main characters are Asian.

The Hollywood adaptation has white actors in the leading roles while the Asian actors - including Patel - are limited to playing villains.

When the film premiered in America last month, there were protests at the cinema.

Telegraph, London

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

So that's why NBC is coming out with "Outsourced" this season?

Not only are our jobs being outsourced, our TV and movies are too. Racist? I think not!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

So...how many white actors get roles in Bollywood films?

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Why is that of any relevance to this individual British Asian actor complaining about a lack of opportunities in Hollywood?

Because Hollywood isn't in Asia or Britain, nor is it required to create the type of movies to put this whiner to work. Perhaps he should go to Bollywood to make Asian films instead of whining that the USA should produce more Asian themed films to cast him in.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Timeline

Because Hollywood isn't in Asia or Britain, nor is it required to create the type of movies to put this whiner to work. Perhaps he should go to Bollywood to make Asian films instead of whining that the USA should produce more Asian themed films to cast him in.

makes sense

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hollywood is notorious for typecasting people, even along ethnic lines. Look at the majority of roles actors like William DaFoe, Steve Buscemi or Joe Pesci have been cast in. There are only a handful of actors in Hollywood that I can think of that have been cast in just about every kind of role - Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, to name a couple. Dev Patel is also pretty young, which limits the kinds of roles he might be offered. He should get a different agent or let his agent do the talking with regard to getting roles, IMO.

Edited by El Buscador

Filed: Timeline

Hollywood is notorious for typecasting people, even along ethnic lines. Look at the majority of roles actors like William DaFoe, Steve Buscemi or Joe Pesci have been cast in. There are only a handful of actors in Hollywood that I can think of that have been cast in just about every kind of role - Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, to name a couple. Dev Patel is also pretty young, which limits the kinds of roles he might be offered. He should get a different agent or let his agent do the talking with regard to getting roles, IMO.

omG I totally agree with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

omG I totally agree with you.

funny_graduation_card_hell_freezes_over-p137834164602600933q53o_400.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Casting in a movie is only marginally based on acting skill. For the most part, it's about having the right look for a part. John Rhys-Davies can complain about the fact that he wasn't cast as Legolas or he can accept the fact that he just doesn't look like a Tolkien elf and end it there.

Further, Patel ended up in a lead role in a good movie. I wouldn't say that he made the movie (for people that make a movie see Johnny Depp and Will Smith) although he certainly managed to avoid ruining it, which some actors can do. That is, I didn't watch Slumdog millionaire and leave thinking about how great the acting was. I certainly wouldn't watch something just because he was in it. He worked in that role because it fit him. Who is he to complain that he is not being given roles that may not fit him? He hasn't proven much of anything.

Edited by SMR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

There aren't enough non-sidekick movie roles for him because Hollywood caters to "mainstream" America. People want to relate to the main characters. For whatever reason, many people can't if the main character is of a different race.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hollywood is about making money, not being racially sensitive.

The guy needs to get over himself.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!