I AM NOT THAT GUY

July jobs report: Economy still losing jobs

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- For the second month in a row, the U.S. economy shed jobs as the government continued to unload census workers, offsetting disappointing gains in private business hiring.

The Labor Department on Friday reported a net loss of 131,000 jobs in July, an improvement from the revised loss of 221,000 jobs in June.

chart_jobs_hiring_100806b.top.gif

"The job market has lost steam and remains lethargic," said Sung Won Sohn, economics professor at Cal State University Channel Islands.

Businesses have now added jobs in every month so far this year, a total of 630,000 positions. But that works out to an anemic 90,000 a month. There needs to be an overall gain of about 150,000 jobs a month just to keep pace with population growth.

And private sector job growth seems to be losing ground. The 71,000 gain in business hiring was up from even weaker revised readings for May and June, but was still well below the nearly 200,000 monthly gains in March and April, when the labor market appeared set to turn the corner.

Public sector job losses weren't limited to temporary jobs, as government jobs outside of census fell by 59,000 in the month, most being cut from state and local governments facing budget problems.

The overall loss was worse than the 87,000 job loss forecast by economists surveyed by Briefing.com.

The unemployment rate remained unchanged at 9.5% in June. Economists had expected the jobless rate to edge up to 9.6%. But that was mostly because of 381,000 workers who stopped looking for work in recent weeks, and were therefore no longer counted as part of the labor force.

The percentage of the population with jobs fell for the third straight month to 58.4% and is now approaching the 26-year low in that reading reached in December.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/06/news/economy/jobs_july/

Watched it this morning on the CNBC circus - 202,000 government jobs in the red doesn't bode well.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Watched it this morning on the CNBC circus - 202,000 government jobs in the red doesn't bode well.

Government at all levels could stand to shed a few million jobs. That is a good sign. That private industry is not hiring even at a maintenance rate is a bad sign.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Bush's tax cuts sure worked.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Bush's tax cuts sure worked.

Your like a little boy not wanting to bury his dead pet.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

No takers on actually answering whether Bush's Tax Cuts fulfilled their promise of creating jobs? Hmmmm...figures. :whistle:

It hasn't been about Bush for 20 months now. It hasn't even been about the Republicans in Congress for 44 months. When are the Democrats going to man up, and take responsibility for crashing the family car?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It hasn't been about Bush for 20 months now. It hasn't even been about the Republicans in Congress for 44 months. When are the Democrats going to man up, and take responsibility for crashing the family car?

It is relevant because that's the economic platform of the opposition party right now - extending those tax cuts they enacted years before. Nice dodge though of the facts because you can't refute the statistical data regarding the tax cuts and job creation during the previous 8 years. And given that the tax cuts actually took us from a surplus to a deficit, it is ironic for the "deficit hawks" to be turning a blind eye to that failed economic policy, while trying to continue pimping it to the American people.

It is relevant because that's the economic platform of the opposition party right now - extending those tax cuts they enacted years before. Nice dodge though of the facts because you can't refute the statistical data regarding the tax cuts and job creation during the previous 8 years. And given that the tax cuts actually took us from a surplus to a deficit, it is ironic for the "deficit hawks" to be turning a blind eye to that failed economic policy, while trying to continue pimping it to the American people.

So, you want to excuse the lack of performance by the current administration on the policies of the previous administration. Way to take charge there!