MichaelANDVelvet

montreal embassy?? taking long?

51 posts in this topic

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to pop on here, but one thing I noticed at the consulate was how many people were there for issues not even remotedly close to immigration. It seems like there was a lot of Americans there doing different business. You would think that the consulate in Ottawa, Quebec city and Toronto could handle some of this, and Montreal could focus on immigrant visas or something... There was A LOT of people in the waiting room, and maybe 10 of us max in the immigration section of the waiting room... Oh well...

I don't think they follow the "immigration" side of the room rule very much. When I went for my Visa, there were 6 people sitting on the "citizen" side getting Visa interviews (those who got letters when they came in). The rest of us (including me), also there for Visa interviews, were sitting on the other side and got our number when we came up the elevator.

Also since the consulate is technically American soil, any passport holding American has the right to be there. If they have an issue, they will go to the closest consulate. How would you feel, being in America, if you had an issue with Canada and you were forced to travel 8 hours to deal with it when there's a consulate maybe 30 mins away? I think it's fair that they go to the closest consulate.

That being said, yes Montreal is slow, yes it seems like it's been like this for a couple of years. Is there signs of letting up? No. Most of us have had to deal with the slowness, and we feel your pain. I hope all of you waiting for interviews get them soon!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just got off the phone with NVC. I am hopped up on coffee so they got a ear full, however "Doreen" says that they are currently still scheduling interviews and that she doesn't see a date yet but please call back this afternoon and maybe we will have more information...If not we schedule again in the middle of september! Well no duh haha.

Edited by Canadiandggal

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our p3 was logged August 2, knowing from here, how slowww Montreal is, we decided to not even call the Embassy until after my medical, which is Sept.,10. Strictly for sanity reasons! Like the rest of us, whether it be k1,cr1's or whatever, it's so hard not being able to be with the ones we love. That being said, I am hoping to have an interview by early November not before...b/c i/we dont want to be disappointed by hoping for earlier. It's very frustrating seeing Vancouver moving right along...but we don't have any say or choice it is what it is! So i try not to look at those either anymore..i watch Montreal timelines...lol. We've made it this far and everyday brings us a day closer. Hang tight...try to think about what it will finally be like once we get even an interview date.

Timeline

Has anyone sent an e-mail to Vancouver to request that they process their CR1/IR1 just to see what they say? Somebody somewhere makes the decision as to which consulate processes certain types of applications. Anyone know who that decision maker would be and how to contact him/her?

I-130 Received Date per letter Feb 22, 2010

I-130 NOA1 Notice Date per letter Feb 28, 2010

I-130 Touched March 2, 2010

I-130 Touched March 23, 2010 no e-mail despite e-mail alert on, thankful nonetheless!

Kids Register of Birth Abroad & passport appointment March 31st, 2010 approved.

I-129F NOA1 April 8, 2010 (Let's see what happens with this K3 application) ugh!

I-129F Touched June 15, 2010

I-129F RFE (our atty forgot to complete 2 lines)

I-130 Approved June 23, 2010 121 days from NOA1

I-129F RFE details Received by USCIS July 7, 2010

I-130 Case # at NVC obtained July 8, 2010

I-130 NVC sent affidavit of support and visa bills July 8, 2010

I-129F approved by USCIS and sent to NVC

I-129F confirmed received by NVC and per supervisor, it will be administratively closed

I-129F letter recvd of administratively closed K3 app Aug 2, 2010

Timeline

Well, that's a good question. I don't know who the decision-maker would be.

I'm pretty sure that if you wrote to the Vancouver consulate they'd probably just reply that they no longer do that work; they're no longer authorized, something along those lines.

But I def want to write to an elected official (again) and raise the question: Why not authorize more than one Canadian consulate to do CR1/IR1. I believe that some other countries (e.g., India) have 2 consulates doing this type of application.

Canada does not have all that many (relatively speaking) of these immigrant visa apps. But if we do have a lot of other business going on in these consulates (as it would seem we do), then they have to make appropriate accomodations. Montreal is overloaded. That much is clear.

C.

Has anyone sent an e-mail to Vancouver to request that they process their CR1/IR1 just to see what they say? Somebody somewhere makes the decision as to which consulate processes certain types of applications. Anyone know who that decision maker would be and how to contact him/her?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.