MichaelANDVelvet

montreal embassy?? taking long?

51 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In the past, other have used the line--job transferred to calgary, vancouver(western province) and got it switched to the Vancouver consulate. Of course one does need a mailing address in 1 of the Western provinces!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, didn't know it was my day hahaha. Anything in particular I should say?

Hmmmm, maybe ask if they plan on hiring anyone anytime soon, so we can past this stage and be done with it already!!!! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

can you have it transfered to vancouver even if you don't live there or don't know anyone that does?

You would need to have a mailing address in one of the Western provinces for this to work. I was living in Ottawa, but all my family lived in Alberta, so I could have easily used any of their addresses. And it would have to be an address where someone would be recieving mail ( you couldn't just rent a PO box for this) in case you recieve an RFE or some other sort of corrospondence from them. You would need someone to forward it off to you!!!

I live in Vancouver and it just makes no sense that I have to pay hundreds of $ to fly to Montreal for a fifteen minute interview!

If Montreal has to do more then they should hire more staff! arrggghhhhhh!!protest6wz.gifprotest6wz.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone, sorry to butt into your conversation, but I saw you were on the topic of the Vancouver consulate and I had a question. I live in Alberta, would I automatically be directed to the Vancouver consulate for the interview, or would I have to request to be there?

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Timeline

Hey everyone, sorry to butt into your conversation, but I saw you were on the topic of the Vancouver consulate and I had a question. I live in Alberta, would I automatically be directed to the Vancouver consulate for the interview, or would I have to request to be there?

If you are a K1 you would be automatically directed there. On the I-129f Question 20 asks what consulate your canadian fiance(e) will apply to. You will put Vancouver in this box. There have been a few cases when NVC has accidentally sent the package to the wrong consulate, but generally an e-mail to both consulates asking for the file to be re-directed takes care of this.

Timeline

how long would you suspect it take to transfer everything to the vancouver embassy?

Since I didn't end up doing this I am unsure, but I am somewhat certain it would have taken less than the 5 months I had to wait for an interview!!! I know there have been a few instances where a file was sent to the wrong consulate and had to be transferred. Maybe a thread asking for people who had experience with this might yield you an approximate answer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

About 2 years ago there were two 'couples' who were originally sent to Montreal and after looking at the timeframes for interviews, set up circumstances so that they could arrange for a transfer to Vancouver, one by using a close relative's address there, and the other by actually moving to the area. This was when the wait at Montreal was long but I don't believe quite as long as it is now. In both cases, yes, their files were processed faster than those who filed the same time who ended up going through Montreal - even with the transfer. You do need to have a legitimate address there, though. The transfer didn't seem to take too long - less than a month.,

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I agree. And it's the combination of having to pay so much out of pocket for flight, etc., AND having to wait half our lives away waiting on an interview date that seems particularly bad.

And, yes: they obviously need to manage the work flow/ load better. Maybe Montreal shouldn't be handling as many different types of visas. Maybe they need more staff. But the current situation is ridiculous. Here we are almost 4 months since I submitted my last documents to NVC and still no word on an interview date, and no communication of any kind. I feel like there should be some kind of letter explaining what is going on.

C.

I live in Vancouver and it just makes no sense that I have to pay hundreds of $ to fly to Montreal for a fifteen minute interview!

If Montreal has to do more then they should hire more staff! arrggghhhhhh!!protest6wz.gifprotest6wz.gif

Edited by mtlgato

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to pop on here, but one thing I noticed at the consulate was how many people were there for issues not even remotedly close to immigration. It seems like there was a lot of Americans there doing different business. You would think that the consulate in Ottawa, Quebec city and Toronto could handle some of this, and Montreal could focus on immigrant visas or something... There was A LOT of people in the waiting room, and maybe 10 of us max in the immigration section of the waiting room... Oh well...

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

Montreal Consulate does a lot more than just relationship visas. As well they provide services to USA citizens. Belive me they are busy. I've stated this many times--and I know it doesnt make it easier for people waiting----but they work hard!! I have inlaws/friends that work at various consulates throughout the world and many of them work long hours!! And its just not as simple as hiring more people, lets face it, immigration isn't a vote getter for politicians!! Majority of tax payers don't want to spend $$$ on bringing people to the USA--they rather spend it on keeping people out,lol Don't get upset at the workers--get upset at the idiots/terrorists that make it take longer (longer checks, etc)

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I'm sure individual workers do work hard. And obviously they do more than just handle family immigration visas. But that doesn't mean that work flow couldn't be handled better. Most US consulates don't seem to have the problems that Montreal has. Why are Canadians--specifically Canadians--waiting so much longer than citizens of other countries for these interviews? And why don't we get so much as a courteous letter from the consulate or something?

C.

Montreal Consulate does a lot more than just relationship visas. As well they provide services to USA citizens. Belive me they are busy. I've stated this many times--and I know it doesnt make it easier for people waiting----but they work hard!! I have inlaws/friends that work at various consulates throughout the world and many of them work long hours!! And its just not as simple as hiring more people, lets face it, immigration isn't a vote getter for politicians!! Majority of tax payers don't want to spend $$$ on bringing people to the USA--they rather spend it on keeping people out,lol Don't get upset at the workers--get upset at the idiots/terrorists that make it take longer (longer checks, etc)

Timeline

It would be nice if they would schedule the interview and send that date (even if it is 5 months in advance) when they recieve and approve the P3. This would at least give people a timeline and allow them to plan their lives a little bit more

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.