natty bumppo

Roomfulll of hearts ... Part IV

3,890 posts in this topic

BelovedSisterNina...all my work is project work...ugh...but the good news is that eventually the project does end :dance: For me personally, I can't imagine working a normal 40 hour week and not having an 'end' in sight. So, put in that frame of mind, projects become bearable :star:

Thanks Bishop. I dont think projects would ever become bearable unless you smoke some real fancy leaves :huh:

The match goes up with seniority? I've not heard of that before. What I hate are the 5-year vesting schedules.

My wife gets immediate vesting in her 401K but she didn't get a match until she was an employee for a year. At my company you get all benefits after 30 days, incl. 401K but you gotta stick around 5 years or else you lose the entire employer matc.

He accrues the matching 401k, but they will give it in lump sum only after he works for 3 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The 8% 401K sounds awesome. I get 4% right now, dollar to dollar on the first 4%.

Same here...Its a pretty weak match. My company also charges some sort of 'fee' of $100/month if I sign up my wife on my plan while she is eligble to be covered on her plan. Thats like robbery! : :angry::angry:

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

3 years isn't bad, most 100% vesting scheduled take 5 or 6 years. And a 6% match is good too by American standards.

But they only match 50%.

Same here...Its a pretty weak match. My company also charges some sort of 'fee' of $100/month if I sign up my wife on my plan while she is eligble to be covered on her plan. Thats like robbery! : :angry::angry:

I dont get it. Would they match her pay?

Filed: Timeline

I interviewed at a firm a few months ago (perfect job, I didn't get it) and I had a friend who works for them send me their benefits program. My contribution to premium (for similar med coverage) for me and my wife would be HALF what it is today if my wife didn't have insurance from her employer. But because she has insurance, they apply a substantial surcharge which close to doubles my contribution to premium. Unfortunately they don't care if the coverage offered is similar or not, as if all coverage is alike.

But they only match 50%.

OH! So he puts in 8% of pretax and gets a match equal to 4% of his income. I misunderstood.

I interviewed at a firm a few months ago (perfect job, I didn't get it) and I had a friend who works for them send me their benefits program. My contribution to premium (for similar med coverage) for me and my wife would be HALF what it is today if my wife didn't have insurance from her employer. But because she has insurance, they apply a substantial surcharge which close to doubles my contribution to premium. Unfortunately they don't care if the coverage offered is similar or not, as if all coverage is alike.

OH! So he puts in 8% of pretax and gets a match equal to 4% of his income. I misunderstood.

Yeah, he puts in 6% and gets 3% from his company. That is 9% after 3 years.. compared to my 8%+8% now.

Timeline

But they only match 50%.

I dont get it. Would they match her pay?

Ahhh...sorry SisterNina...I switched the topic from 401(K) matching to health insurance. My company imposes a $100/month 'fee' on me if I elect to cover my wife under my company's health care plan if she is also eligible to be covered by her own employer's health care plan. THAT is robbery! :angry:

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Timeline

Yep...this sounds very similar to the robbery that my company utilizes. I thought it was only my company that did such sh!t but apparently it isn't. Consequently, I don't cover my wife under my insurance (to avoid the $100/month surcharge). She is covered through her companies insurance...

Ahhh...sorry SisterNina...I switched the topic from 401(K) matching to health insurance. My company imposes a $100/month 'fee' on me if I elect to cover my wife under my company's health care plan if she is also eligible to be covered by her own employer's health care plan. THAT is robbery! :angry:

I was still in school when I got married. My husband's employer was deducting $100 (per bi-weekly paycheck) for his healthcare plus $300 if he wanted to add me :girlwerewolf2xn:

Timeline

I was still in school when I got married. My husband's employer was deducting $100 (per bi-weekly paycheck) for his healthcare plus $300 if he wanted to add me :girlwerewolf2xn:

You are a 'luxury item' so of course the surcharge is outrageous! :star: