Tero

Denied k-1 visa

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,

Am filing too and i just c wot u wrote so i decided to do some research b4 our interview time comes. Hope this helps. u can read more from their website : http://www.usimmigrationnewspaper.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=276&Itemid=148

Customary Marriage Amongst the Yorubas in Nigeria Written by U.S. Immigration News Thursday, 29 January 2009

Customary marriage amongst the Yorubas like most other ethnic groups, tribes and communities indigenous to Africa is a distinct cultural event. It is a beautiful occasion, a rite of passage into adulthood and an extended family affair. It has its distinctive features, it is recognized under the Nigerian Law, and even the law courts have judicially accepted its principles.

Essential Features Of A Customary Marriage

The marriageable age for a Yoruba lady is not fixed, and incidents of child marriage is not common; hence, the minimum likely age for a valid customary marriage is 16 years. Contrary to what obtains under the statutory marriage act, parents’ consent is required regardless of the ages of the would-be couple. This is because of the significance attached to marriage as a union of the man and the woman’s families, rather than just a man and a woman as defined under elementary social studies. The consent of the intending couple is also required for the validity of a Yoruba customary marriage, in order to forestall the possibility of a forced marriage. It must be noted that the Yoruba Culture regards marriage between blood relations, no matter the distance as a taboo. Blood relationship voids a customary marriage, the distance prohibited is wider than under the statute, and people who got married without the knowledge of their blood relationship usually have the marriage annulled. The Yoruba culture frowns even more on marriage between people related by marriage, thus, a man cannot marry two women from the same family, and neither can a woman marry another man from a family while her husband is alive. Nothing, however, stops a man from marrying the cousin of his brother’s wife or even his brother’s sister {except in cases of twins getting married to another set of twins, families are usually reluctant to allow this, though there is no law against it}. One of the distinguishing features of the Yoruba customary marriage is its recognition and acceptance of polygamy. A man married under the Yoruba customary marriage is allowed by custom to marry other women if he has the wherewithal for their upkeep. The idea of polygamy can be traced to the primitive age when men needed many wives and children to help on the farm and to boost their social status. Polygamy is no longer as popular as it used to be neither does it come with the definition of bigamy under the Nigerian criminal and penal code.

The Marriage Ceremony And Customary Requirement

The process of a customary marriage usually starts with the introduction of the bridegroom-to- be to the parents of the bride –to- be and vice versa, after the preliminary introduction, the bridegroom-to- be seeks from the father of the bride-to be, a date when his parents could come and meet the family for a formal marriage proposal. On the fixed date, after due consultation with the elders of his extended family, the family of the bridegroom- to -be comes for a pre marriage meeting usually referred to as the ‘introduction ceremony’ at the bride-to-be family house. This first meeting is for the purpose of acquaintance and in most cases, it could be a good time to discuss the list of customary requirements for marriage, including the bride price and fix a date for the marriage ceremony. The material requirement for marriage in Yoruba land varies from one community to another, but generally, it comprises of the bride price and other monetary gifts for the young men, wives and elderly women of the family, tubers of yam, kola nut, bitter kola, honey, salt, clothes for the bride, alcoholic liquor, palm oil and other farm produce. Of most importance to the validity of a customary marriage is the bride price. It is paid in Yoruba land during the ceremony, it has been held by the court that bride price payment is a prima facie proof of a valid customary marriage provided the bride is handed over to the husband’s family and she moves in with her husband or his family after the ceremony. Nonpayment of the bride price makes the marriage voidable at the instance of the woman; especially where it has not been paid despite an express demand by the bride’s father. The bride price is to be paid to the father of the bride to be or her guardian.Marriage by ProxyMarriage by proxy is another unique feature of the Yoruba customary law. Where the intending couple indicates their interest in marriage to their parents, a valid customary marriage may be conducted in their absence but with their consent usually in writing to their parents. Marriage by proxy arises where either or both parties in the marriage are not available during the marriage ceremony. The beauty of this arrangement is that, Nigerian immigrants abroad can validly get married to their spouses at home, without necessarily traveling home for the ceremony. This practice has been in existence since the early part of the 19th century when Nigerian nationals started traveling to study in British universities. It is in fact one of the advantages the Yoruba customary marriage has over statutory marriage.

Registration Of Marriage

There is no effective system for customary marriage registration in Nigeria, although there are laws requiring registration within 30 days of the marriage ceremony. Non-registration attracts a penalty of N4 but does not have any effect on the validity of the marriage. Presenting still and motion pictures of the ceremony and calling witnesses of those who attended the occasion can prove the existence of a customary marriage. There is a rebuttable presumption of marriage between a man and woman cohabiting, and the onus of proof is on the person asserting otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Has anyone ever heard of the Asian lady actually passing anyone????? I have never heard of a single 1st interview where she has said yep you guys are good. As my fiance's interview approaches, any tips if he gets her as the CO???

I-129F Sent : 2010-05-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-06-01

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-06-30

NVC Received : 2010-07-01

NVC Left : 2010-07-02

Consulate Received : 2010-07-09

Packet 3 Received : 2010-08-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-08-10

Packet 4 Received : 2010-08-10

Interview Date : 2010-11-19

Interview Result: APPROVED!!!! THANK YOU GOD!

VISA in hand 2010-11-29 (due to Thanksgiving)

Flight Reservations 2010-11-29

POE 2010-12-16 YAY WELCOME TO AMERICA!

MARRIED 2011-01-27 Married and happy!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Has anyone ever heard of the Asian lady actually passing anyone????? I have never heard of a single 1st interview where she has said yep you guys are good. As my fiance's interview approaches, any tips if he gets her as the CO???

My advice would be for you to make sure u have a little more than required. Make sure whoever is going for the interview covers all the basics, does a lot of research as to different reasons for denials, and stick to whatever story you guys have agreed to tell. But most of all ....Fast and pray for this kind does not pass except by fasting and praying! Goodluck! :)

• 9 months later...

Ok so, I got a reply to my email from the Lagos Consulate today. In spite of my whole clarification and appeal and explanation, they said the case is already closed as far as they are concerned, and that they are going to send back my petition to DHS/USCIS. They told me to direct all inquiries about the case to the DHS/USCIS. So cold!!! I called the DHS and explained the misunderstanding, and the DHS told me to wait for my petition to get to them first, so they can review and decide. My representative also said he sent them a note today to reconsider, but he has no guarantee that they'll listen. Told me it could take 2 to 3 weeks to hear anything. At this point, it's a waiting game. Anybody have any experience as to how long it took for their petition to be returned, reviewed and reapproved? It feels so helpless and frustrating to be so powerless!

Hi,

My fiancee just entered into the same scenario you described. Do you have any news so far from either NVC or USCIS?

Please, post any updates as soon as you can. Thanks and let's all take it easy. It shall be well.

Edited by Stauber

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this issue. It really is unfair. Question - was there any possibility for you to be with your fiance for interview? Maybe this would have helped? If not, you could have gone to consulate to speak to CO.

Again, I'm sorry that this happened to you.

Best wishes!

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good day everyone. My fiancée was denied visa after one bogus question. She had all the evidence and paperworks to prove our relationship. The interview was going well until the consulate officer asked my fiancée if during our traditional engagement ceremony, I gave any monetary gift to her parents. My fiancée answered yes. Then the CO declared that that signifies a dowry and according to the Nigerian law, we are married. My fiancée tried to explain to her that it was just a gift for her parents and not a dowry, but the CO insisted that as long as money was paid, it was marriage and I should go back and refile for her as a wife and not a fiancée. We only did an engagement ceremony and not marriage. If I had filed for her as a wife, how would I have provided a proof of marriage when we are not yet married?. Please, I need an advice on what to do because it's been 9 months already and I do not want to have to travel to get married and start this whole process all over again ...gush!

You not only have to start over, you first have to really get married and get a marriage certificate first.

It is not a bogus question, it is something you should have been aware of The US recognizes all foreign and religious marriages but will not give you a visa for one unless you provide a marriage certificate.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.