Undefined

ive got a question for yall

49 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I said she CAN visit. I didn't say "can't." You must have misread. I also did say that the border guard might not ask for evidence of ties to Canada. I just emphasized that they CAN ask for such evidence.

The gist of my second post was that it's theoretically easier for the US finace to visit Canada...and I stand by that position.

But it's true that visits in both directions could be ok, just that there's more risk of hassles for her going to the US, esp. because I think she has no job and no home of her own.

C.

mtlgato, why would you think you can't visit during the process? Did someone tell you this or did you read it somewhere? Because they are most definitely wrong. A lot of us visited multiple times while our visas were processing and it wasn't an issue. I crossed the border at least half a dozen times while our K-1 was processing and was never asked for any prof of ties to Canada or for my K-1 paperwork. Of course it is definitely in your best interest to bring this information, but they may not even ask for it. There is definitely no law or "rule" saying you can't visit. If you are denied entry it won't have an impact on your visa (provided you didn't lie or try to enter illegally). You really have nothing to lose other than maybe the cost of a plane ticket.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sure you can visit, many of us did - multiple times. My now-husband and I visited about every 6 weeks -2 months for a week or more at a time. I flew down on numerous occasions without incident. I was always honest and said I was visiting my boyfriend/fiancé when asked. I said when I'd be returning etc.... Honesty really is the best policy.

Only once (out of maybe 10 x in 2 years) was I asked for proof of a return ticket - to begin with I didn't bring any evidence of ties (and no, they never ever asked for any either)....but people here convinced me better to be safe then sorry so I always travelled with an employment letter and sometimes NOA's from the K1 process. I did not go to the extreme of bringing my entire K1 pkg and neither did I bring my lease or anything further other then my return ticket.

I think it's best to take people's recent experience as an indicator of what could happen when you reach the border....my advice is 2 years old on this situation :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

From Aug 2002 until dec 2004, I think our longest time apart was 5 or 6 weeks! Usually one of us traveled each month to see each other! We never got denied entry and barely an eye was raised, never had to show any proof! But My wife--the USA citizen--on 1 or 2 occasions visiting Canada, did seem to get questioned more than I ever did! All boils down to which POE officer you get!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I said she CAN visit. I didn't say "can't." You must have misread. I also did say that the border guard might not ask for evidence of ties to Canada. I just emphasized that they CAN ask for such evidence.

The gist of my second post was that it's theoretically easier for the US finace to visit Canada...and I stand by that position.

But it's true that visits in both directions could be ok, just that there's more risk of hassles for her going to the US, esp. because I think she has no job and no home of her own.

C.

Ooops! I actually meant to direct that question to the OP, not you. I don't know why I said your name... must have been in my head after I read your post :lol:

But yeah, I agree with you. Sorry about that confusion.

Timeline

It's good to note that they sometimes do hassle the American spouse.

They did with FireRay, they asked him a thousand and one questions regarding us and this process.

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can visit your fiance during the K-1 process if you've maintained ties to Canada and in good faith intend to return after your visit, but the border guard has discretion on this point. He/ she *can* decide that your ties to Canada are not convincing enough. The guard may not even bother to ask you for evidence of ties, and just let you through no problem. Or he/ she may ask for evidence...and I believe that, in your particular case (if I remember rightly) you *could* have some trouble since you don't have a job or a home of your own. Ideally, you want to have with you a letter from your employer stating what your occupation is and when you're expected back...and/ or you want a mortgage or rental agreement.

C.

Excuse me? Listen bunch of people live/go there and ask gov lots of #######. i never asked nothing. neither did my mother. the house is also mine. my name is on it. and the job its a team and the company is of my godfather. so dont go to conlusions and judge. if the poe has a problem its a personal one. which if he or she goes that way they took the wrong job. they think they can let in the bad ones and not the good ones and not get caught sometime? dont think so. im calm, nice, comprehensive and collected. but there a limit to everything no matter who what where when how why. thanks for your input. but just made me stronger and more determined. ;)

Timeline

C.

OMG! where is the problem? i live with my mom. i dont see that as a problem! i have my share of responsabilities and all. the choice to live with my mom. is my mom and only my mom right. you dont like it. that dont mean its bad, wrong or whatever. my goodness. you all make such a big deal out of nothing. and 99% the denial of entry is out of no real reason just the poe felt he or she today wasnt gonna let someone in and he or she said ok here it goes and boom that ''person'' wasnt let it. and yeah i guess us canadians are too nice to you damn americans. my man is american and i love him and im doing all of this to be with him and living in the U.S. its cool with me. i have no problems with americans or the states. you all need to learn that we are a union we both live in the same continent jesus we are neighbours why such hate and discrimination? now im not saying canada cant be mean. it can believe me. but it has its reasons. U.S. no. it brought its grief upon itself. but still aint gonna stop me to be with my fiancee i have no problem. im cool. im not prejudice nor racist or close minded. thank you. :)

Timeline

If you have all the answers then why are you asking questions? You wanted a "second opinion" and mtlgato gave you one.I've read that post a couple times and I don't see anything discriminatory or judgmental.

Unfortunately these are the facts. Personally, I don't really care where you work and who you work for, and who is on the title on who's house and who pays the bills. It's the border guard that you will need to convince. If you have strong ties like you have just suggested than great, luck may be on your side. Unfortunately, just like you said, in some cases the guard denies entry to a person who can produce strong ties. And sometimes, people think they have strong ties because they have a cell phone bill and oof a bank account with some savings in it. That really isn't anything that would bound a person to Canada in a meaningful way. We've seen a lot of people around here try to cross and visit their significant others only to be denied because they didn't bring any ties, or the ties they had we're week at best. Then they come on here and are angry and appalled because they were denied entry. Sometimes people just don't understand that entry to a foreign country is not a right, but a privilege. Nobody has to let you in, even with all the evidence in the world. It is 100% discretionary, every time, when entering any country that you're visiting.

With that said, you said you have a mortgage and a job. I would say everything is working in your favor. When I was dating my husband I lived with my parents, was going to school, and had a meaningless part time job. Did I have strong ties? Probably not. But I was let in without a problem every time.

Good luck!!

Remember, we all went through this and we understand how frustrating it is.

Edited by Hugglebuggles

OMG! where is the problem? i live with my mom. i dont see that as a problem! i have my share of responsabilities and all. the choice to live with my mom. is my mom and only my mom right. you dont like it. that dont mean its bad, wrong or whatever. my goodness. you all make such a big deal out of nothing. and 99% the denial of entry is out of no real reason just the poe felt he or she today wasnt gonna let someone in and he or she said ok here it goes and boom that ''person'' wasnt let it. and yeah i guess us canadians are too nice to you damn americans. my man is american and i love him and im doing all of this to be with him and living in the U.S. its cool with me. i have no problems with americans or the states. you all need to learn that we are a union we both live in the same continent jesus we are neighbours why such hate and discrimination? now im not saying canada cant be mean. it can believe me. but it has its reasons. U.S. no. it brought its grief upon itself. but still aint gonna stop me to be with my fiancee i have no problem. im cool. im not prejudice nor racist or close minded. thank you. :)

Where are you even getting that mtlgato is insulting you?

In an earlier post, you mentioned that you lived with your mom, and had some small issues with proving ties to Canada, possibly mtlgato simply misread this to be you would have a hard time proving any ties, I seriously doubt you were being judged by anyone, I know I certainly read it the same as mtlgato did and thought there was a chance you might have to go to a little more effort collecting ties.

Here is your Quote from your thread "About Visiting U.D suring Visa Process"

[quote name=D&JDianaM' date='22 July 2010 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1279856516' post='4082473'

Hello everyone. My name is Diana im from Montreal. My Fiancee (my petitioner) is from Ohio. Im a new member here but so far learned a lot and I thank everyone advice, support! :) I read you can visit your Fiancee during the K-1 Fiancee process. Ok so who does that apply to? What does someone need with them? We have filed the I-129F form and recieved the confirmation number. Does is matter I dont have a normal job persay. No boss that can write a letter? and that I dont live alone but with my mother so im under her wing persay? I have proof of residency and ties even without those two. thanks.

For such a "Positive" person, you seem to jump into defensive posture for no reason rather quickly.

All we are doing here is to prepare you properly with advice, people have been denied for valid as well as garbage reasons when crossing for visits even when everything seemed in order. Be prepared that it can happen to you, although it is rare fortunately.

If you jump to the defensive with the CBP officer when crossing as quickly as you do to people here, be prepared to find yourself dragged into secondary processing rather quickly.

To reinforce what Huggles said above, no matter how similar the countries are, YOU ARE ENTERING ANOTHER COUNTRY, they can turn you away just as easy as a restraunt can deny service for bad breath, so be careful what you say when crossing, short, sweet, and to the point, dont get defensive, or offended, dont offer any more information than they ask and it will all be fine.

Good luck!

Edited by SupportGeek

Timeline

I seriously wouldnt get so upset with mtlgato, s/he is just preparing you for what COULD happen, not that it will. As I said in another of your posts we have seen a few people here who have had no issues the whole time they were together visiting back and forth, but we have also had a few turned away (the one I recall most vividly was turned away trying to cross the border on greyhound and they made her go through absolute hell). Does it suck? Yes. Is it fair? No. Can we say you won't get asked any questions, no, but we can prepare you with what to have just incase they do, and the things mtlgato said are usually some of the strongest ties they ask for (if your name is on the house bring a copy of the deed..it might help) bills, employment letters etc to show you have stuff here in Canada that needs to be taken care of. Sometimes they are really nice, sometimes you get the biggest ####### CPB officer that ever lived. While you might not see certain things as an issue doesnt mean that the one officer who feels like being a ####### won't, and it really won't matter if you try to argue with them other than they might put a 6 month entry ban on you (which I have also seen people on here complain about). I really dont think mtlgato was making a big deal out of anything, just presenting you with one thing that may or may not be an issue to the guards. If you get ones like I had you will have no issues. Like I said before as well, carry a copy of your K1 NOA1 with you should they ask so you can show them you know the legal way to do things and are working towards it.

Many many people on here said their fiance's didnt get asked anything when they came into Canada, that they wouldnt tax the ring etc etc...yet Wes got pulled into secondary and questioned on EVERYTHING. My full name, my parents names, my sisters name, where I lived, what I did, what my parents did, why he was visiting instead of me visiting him, if he planned to go home. They also taxed my engagement ring even though they were told I would be leaving the country again within the year. Both sides of the border do it, sometimes they choose to randomly screen someone a little more in depth and it completely sucks. I was scared they weren't going to let him in to see me as they held him for almost an hour of questioning. Its just something to prepare yourself for incase it happens and if it doesn't all the better! :D

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Again - I've travelled to the US 7 times since June 17 (I'm here now). I have no job, no home... absolutely ZERO ties to Canada. I get asked simple questions about our relationship and work I have previously done, but even then not always. I think (and don't take offense friends) most VJers over analyze travelling to the US and it makes it more stressful than it needs to be. Maybe it's easier for me because I'm driving, who knows. I just make to be frank and honest with them. They are regular people just like us. They are not out to get us, they are just doing their job and keeping their country safe. So please stop worrying. Bring some docs to back you up, but don't bring too much because thats even more suspicious. Be yourself and be honest. You are doing nothing wrong and they'll see that!

:D

oh and enjoy your trip!

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

Again - I've travelled to the US 7 times since June 17 (I'm here now). I have no job, no home... absolutely ZERO ties to Canada. I get asked simple questions about our relationship and work I have previously done, but even then not always. I think (and don't take offense friends) most VJers over analyze travelling to the US and it makes it more stressful than it needs to be. Maybe it's easier for me because I'm driving, who knows. I just make to be frank and honest with them. They are regular people just like us. They are not out to get us, they are just doing their job and keeping their country safe. So please stop worrying. Bring some docs to back you up, but don't bring too much because thats even more suspicious. Be yourself and be honest. You are doing nothing wrong and they'll see that!

oh and enjoy your trip!

Good points - there are folks here who have had such bad experiences that they try and help prepare you for the worst....never hurts to know about it just in case

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Its funny how this topic comes up every week, if not several times a week sometimes! There really is no magic response , it all comes down to how one handles them-self, and the POE officer! If he or she is having a crappy day, well that may not be good news for you. Plus if you use words such as "stay" vice "visit", that may set off an alarm! Who knows! Just tell the truth and be polite. As I have said before, it all comes down to the POE officer, their views on the laws seem to vary between officers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Its funny how this topic comes up every week, if not several times a week sometimes! There really is no magic response , it all comes down to how one handles them-self, and the POE officer! If he or she is having a crappy day, well that may not be good news for you. Plus if you use words such as "stay" vice "visit", that may set off an alarm! Who knows! Just tell the truth and be polite. As I have said before, it all comes down to the POE officer, their views on the laws seem to vary between officers

Aint that the truth. Just from personal experience here..and it happend on more than one occasion, being interogated for multiple hours, fingerprinted and photographed, my huband (then fiance) included, is not a fun process at a border crossing no matter the time of day or if it was on your birthday.... Case in point here, would be me.

People are just trying to prepare you for what can happen. but hey..you seem to have all the answers..so why even bother asking the hundreds of people on this board who have already done and gone through these experiences?

To each his own i guess...shrug.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

oh and enjoy your trip!

I agree with you on some level. But Im sorry most POE are big time a$$holes. Doing their job or not. There is no excuse for discrimination, and being unprofessional. Most of the time POE do more harm then good for their ''Country''. But thanks for the positive feedback :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.