1,280 posts in this topic

Ok i'll explain.. I'm a chiropractor, and i'm currently doing my American Board exams so i can work in the USA. But this is gonna take a little more than a year before i can work in my field. And when i'm gonna start, i'll have to build a clientele, and it's not a good idea to be pregnant at that time. So... Or it's now, or it's in 2-3 years. And i don't want to wait 2-3 years! Right now is my best chance to have a first one. That's why i'm trying to figure out a way to be insurred so i don't have to wait forever :)

01/12/2011: GreenCard approved!!!!

Green card expiration date: 01/05/2013
Sent ROC package to VSC: 11/16/2012
NOA1: 11/20/2012

Approval: 04/29/2013!!!!

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok i'll explain.. I'm a chiropractor, and i'm currently doing my American Board exams so i can work in the USA. But this is gonna take a little more than a year before i can work in my field. And when i'm gonna start, i'll have to build a clientele, and it's not a good idea to be pregnant at that time. So... Or it's now, or it's in 2-3 years. And i don't want to wait 2-3 years! Right now is my best chance to have a first one. That's why i'm trying to figure out a way to be insurred so i don't have to wait forever :)

AWESOME!!! I totally understand where you are coming from! :) I am a massage therapist.. well.. just about to take my State exam for licensure. I've been waiting on my social security # so that I can apply. I am also thinking of getting into Chiropractic but that's a few years of school, and then yes.. as you mention, building clientele. Did you go to school here in Dallas?

Personally, I would wait the 2-3 years (you are young too!) and I would pursue career.... but I understand your position. If you feel now is the time, then you have to go with your gut instinct (pun intended lol!) I don't know what to suggest about the insurance tho.. that's a tricky one. Can your husband hold off on his career change and school for a year or so? :unsure:

I guess there is always Medicaid?

Edited by BULLWINKLE

07-2006 Met my sweetheart!!!

01-25-10 Entered the USA on student visa

05-28-10 Married!!!! <3

06-16-10 I693 Medical prepared and sealed

07-14-10 AOS Packet couriered to Chicago

07-16-10 AOS Packet received! Signed by S. Bush :)

07-23-10 CHECK$ CA$HED!!!!! So happy to see money leave my bank account!!!!

07-24-10 NOA received in the mail for AOS/EAD and hubby received AP for me :)

07-26-10 TOUCHED!!!

08-06-10 EAD & Alien Petition TOUCHED!!!

08-24-10 Service request submitted for Biometrics Letter.. waiting, waiting...

09-01-10 2nd service request call put in - Dallas ASC backed up and everything is on hold! :(

09-03-10 Infopass appointment set for September 17th

09-03-10 EAD TOUCHED!!! I might not need my Infopass appt. after all!

09-07-10 Another touch for EAD

09-08-10 EAD TOUCH again! woo hoo!

09-17-10 InfoPas appt @9am. EAD APPROVED on Sept 2.. but still waiting for biometrics

09-20-10 3rd service request to USCIS, escalated to IO. still no bio appt

09-28-10 AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

09-29-10 4th service request to USCIS, useless convo with IO

09-30-10 AP received and signed by USCIS, J.Chyba

10-04-10 Another useless convo with IO

10-06-10 Letter sent to Congressman

10-10-10 Letter sent to Senator

10-11-10 AP Touch

10-13-10 Email received, AP approved :)

10-15-10 Useless SECOND Infopass appt. and useless AP without biometrics

10-16-10 I-512L AP Doc arrived in the mail

10-18-10 Another USELESS call to USCIS

10-19-10 Got my biometrics appt for Nov 3rd!!! early walk in complete 10-20 *SEE ABOUT ME PAGE FOR MORE TIMELINE INFO!*

I went to school in Trois-Rivières, Canada. (chiropractic program is only given in Trois-Rivières and Toronto in Canada). I had to go to the Parker College here in Dallas to complete my first part of the American Board exams though!

My husband can't hold off on this carreer opportunity. He has been waiting for more than a year, and now it's starting to get more and more positive (he wants to be an air traffic controller), and if he gets called in an interview and they choose him, he's gonna have to go to that school. And it's a once in a lifetime opportunity..

I know i could go with some medical insurrance companies, I'm just wondering which ones i should consider, which ones are the cheapest, etc... And i'm not sure GC holder can get Medicaid.

event.png

Timeline

I went to school in Trois-Rivières, Canada. (chiropractic program is only given in Trois-Rivières and Toronto in Canada). I had to go to the Parker College here in Dallas to complete my first part of the American Board exams though!

My husband can't hold off on this carreer opportunity. He has been waiting for more than a year, and now it's starting to get more and more positive (he wants to be an air traffic controller), and if he gets called in an interview and they choose him, he's gonna have to go to that school. And it's a once in a lifetime opportunity..

I know i could go with some medical insurrance companies, I'm just wondering which ones i should consider, which ones are the cheapest, etc... And i'm not sure GC holder can get Medicaid.

How exciting... sounds like you and your husband have some great opportunities ahead of you :) I took a class at Parker.. I really enjoyed my time there and I am thinking of enrolling there in the future. Maybe we can open a practice together in the future :P

If you want, I can ask the HR lady at my husband's company if she can recommend any insurance policies to buy into.. I guess those HR people are supposed to know all about them, right? :unsure:

It's times like this that I miss the health care system we have back home :( It's been tough trying to find doctors who offer parallel service and care that I had back home.

I even told my husband that if/when we get pregnant maybe we should consider having the baby in Canada.. I just adore my doctors there!

05-28-10 Married!!!! <3

07-26-10 TOUCHED!!!

09-01-10 2nd service request call put in - Dallas ASC backed up and everything is on hold! :(

09-17-10 InfoPas appt @9am. EAD APPROVED on Sept 2.. but still waiting for biometrics

10-11-10 AP Touch

10-19-10 Got my biometrics appt for Nov 3rd!!! early walk in complete 10-20 *SEE ABOUT ME PAGE FOR MORE TIMELINE INFO!*

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mathew and I are paying for our own insurance out of pocket since I'm only part time at my job and we pay about $220 a month through Anthem. They were the cheapest that we could find and that doesn't even cover me if I were to get pregnant. I think the price for that was somewhere close to $400. I'm not sure if health insurance is like car insurance where the area you live in can change your premium, but it may be worth it to do some online quotes. If you google health insurance there's a place (I think it's called ehealthinsurance.com or something) that will give you multiple quotes.

It's sad though that my health insurance is almost as much as my car payment. I'm so ready for Mathew to get a job with insurance or for me to become full time. :( Just as soon as one of those two things happens we're going to try for a baby. I'm itching to be a mommy.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm addicted to chiropractors LOL!!!! I've been going since I was 12!

I had to get medicaid because at the time I found out I was pregnant I only had a part time job with no benefits. I had just returned home from living out of the country so I took any job I could get. I even tried buying insurance after I found out but everyone denied me because of my pre-existing condition (pregnancy). The other problem I came across was most individual insurance plans would not cover pregnancy. My chiropractor has two girls and his wife is self-employed so they have to buy individual insurance. He said they still had to pay 10,000 out-of-pocket because his insurance would not cover it. When my parents had individual insurance plans they paid 400 plus a month and still had a deductible. Your best bet is medicaid or talking to an insurance broker who may know of a company that will cover your.

I never wanted to be on medicaid but I got lucky because the doctor I have is great. He is the same doctor my sister used for all three of her babies and she has medical insurance; I just got lucky he accepted medicaid. Good luck and I really hope you find a solution because I know how nerve wrecking this can be. I am 3 days shy from reaching 40 weeks and I am ready for this baby to come out LOL!!!

Citizenship
10/07/13 - Sent N-400
10/08/13 - Received @ 11:35 a.m. @ Lewisville Lockbox

Approved

Kayla*Mathew, thanks for the info! I went on the website, but i couldn't find any quotes in my area that had a Maternity coverage... Can't believe it's that complicated to find quotes on internet that cover pregnancy!

MrsBocanegra, i think Medicaid can apply for GC holder.. Since my biometrics are not even done, i don't have my green card yet! So i don't think this can apply to me!

I'd like to give birth with a midwife, because i want it to be a natural birth. But you know, if any complications, you still need a medical coverage for maternity.. Grrrr all of this is so complicated! :blink: It'd be so much easier if my husband decided to move to Canada instead :P

event.png

Timeline

I know it's like pregnancy is the same thing as HIV to an insurance company. No one wants to pay for it and if they do they're going to charge you an astronomical amount. I totally understand that being pregnant means you go to the doctor way more than a normal person, but upping a premium by $200 and then STILL asking for a $2500 deductible is just crazy. I almost wish I had gone with my company insurance, but for Mathew and I to have insurance it was going to cost $427 a month, but at least that covered pregnancy and only had a $300 deductible.

I'm so tired of shelling out money for everything. I'm ready for Mathew to get an awesome job in his field so that I can buy a huge SUV that gets 6 miles to the gallon(think military tank since I can't drive and have awful road rage, LOL) and not worry. But this is real life and I'll probably end up driving my Kia Spectra until the wheels fall off and Mathew will end up flipping burgers since apparently embedded software engineers are a dime a dozen. Booh.

Edited by Kayla*Mathew

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Got another email from USCIS today.

This time to inform me that they have ordered production of my green card.

So, I guess this means that I am approved!

Right now, I think my excitement and relief is holding off until I get the actual thing in my hands. I'm too weary of complications or errors to be celebrating just yet.

But this is very good news for me.

I wish health care here was the same as in Canada... Soooo much easier and no stress :yes:

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wish health care here was the same as in Canada... Soooo much easier and no stress :yes:

In England, we have free health care. Learning to deal with the health care system in the US has been difficult for me to adjust to at times.

Because of my pre-existing medical condition, my insurance is very expensive (around $600 a month). In addition to that, I also have to pay the majority of costs for my medication every month (about $300). Also, the insurance plan I have is pretty poor. There's a low annual cap of $8000, and a fairly high co-pay for every claim. Unfortunately, because I was newly arrived in the US and because of my medical history, no other insurance company would take me. At the moment, I dislike my insurance provider immensely because it seems that I'd be better off NOT to pay them at all! They really don't offer much.

Aside from cost though, I've so far had a very very positive experience with doctors here in the US. Despite having a very rare medical condition, they've quickly been able to set up an excellent care plan. I feel far healthier than I ever felt in England. I just wish the costs didn't eat a massive chunk of our income every month.

Edited by FrostyMist

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just a question: MY AP status on the USCIS website mentions that it is in "Post Decision Activity" (the 4th circle) and it states: "On November 1, 2010, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I131 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT. Please follow any instructions on the notice."

Does this mean that they sent the AP travel document on Nov 1st? Or that they just sent me a notice that mentions it was approved (...and I have to wait for them to send me the actual AP travel document)? On the website, when you see your AP status do you get the 5th circle of Card/Document Production or it stops at the 4th circle? I know this question is annoying, but I am desperate to make international travel because of family matters.

Thank you in advanced!

Naturalization Journey

Oct 07, 2014: Sent N-400 packet.

Oct 14, 2014: Received email and sms text that my N-400 application has been received as well the receipt number of my case.

Oct 15, 2014: Check cashed.

Oct 17, 2014: Received NOA. NOA Notice Date is: Oct 10, 2014

Oct 27, 2014: Received yellow letter: Pre-interview Case File Review. (Does NOT mention date of interview.)

Nov 05, 2014: Biometrics were done.

Dec 05, 2014: On-line status updated: In-line for interview.

Dec 29, 2014: On-line status updated: Interview scheduled; notice was sent by mail with the date.

Jan 03, 2015: Received Interview Appointment Notice. Interview date: Feb 02, 2015.

Feb 02, 2015: Had my interview. I.O. verbally said, I had "passed" and should receive the Oath Ceremony notice within 90 days. I.O. did not give me anything in writing.

Feb 05, 2015: On-line status updated: Oath Ceremony scheduled; notice was sent by mail with the date, time and location of ceremony.

Feb 07, 2015: Received Oath Appointment Notice. Oath date: Feb 13, 2015.

Feb 13, 2015: Oath taken. Received Naturalization certificate. Became a US Citizen!

ROC Journey

Nov 04, 2013: Sent I-751 packet.

Nov 08: Received NOA1. Receipt date: Nov 05, 2013.

Nov 16: Received Biometrics appointment for Dec 02.

Nov 18: Succesful walk-in for Biometrics: Done.

Mar 02, 2014: We relocated within the same city, but to a different zip code. Filed change of address of I-751 case pending and AR-11.

Mar 24: Approved!

Mar 31: 10-year GC arrived in the mail.

AOS Journey

Aug 12, 2010: Entered US with K1 visa.
Aug 13: Married.
Aug 16: Sent AOS, AP & EAD package by Fedex to the Chicago S. Dearborn St. address.
Sept 10: AOS case transferred to the California Service Center.
Sept 18: Received hardcopy letter that my AOS case was transferred to the CSC on Sept 10.
Nov 01: AP approved. EAD and AP are available on-line for the first time.
Nov 06: AP received! and Biometrics appointment notice received (scheduled for Nov 29).
Nov 29: EAD card production ordered. (My on-line status jumped from Initial Review to Card Production.)
Dec 10: EAD card received.
Mar 10, 2011: First RFE from the CSC. They lost my I-693! Had to re-do it.
Apr 15: Another RFE from the CSC. Bona fide marriage evidence. We provided the requested documents.
Sept 03: Received Interview Appointment Notice. Interview scheduled for September 27. Finally!
Sept 27: We had our interview. Very easy straight forward questions. Officer needed further processing for our case.
Jan 05, 2012: Case status update - Decision: Approved.
Jan 09: Received letter in the mail with Notice of AOS Decision: Approved.
Jan 10: Case status update - Card Production Ordered.
Jan 13: Green card arrived in the mail. Done with AOS!

Timeline

Just a question: MY AP status on the USCIS website mentions that it is in "Post Decision Activity" (the 4th circle) and it states: "On November 1, 2010, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I131 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT. Please follow any instructions on the notice."

Does this mean that they sent the AP travel document on Nov 1st? Or that they just sent me a notice that mentions it was approved (...and I have to wait for them to send me the actual AP travel document)? On the website, when you see your AP status do you get the 5th circle of Card/Document Production or it stops at the 4th circle? I know this question is annoying, but I am desperate to make international travel because of family matters.

Thank you in advanced!

They don't mail a notice just stating that they've approved your AP, at least not from our experience. We got the notice and then 2 days later the AP was in the mail. :)

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

got my interview notice today! December 7th :):dance:

now i have the fun task of compiling all of our evidence.. lol!

question: we had submitted all of the employee documents, W2's, Income tax returns with the I-864... do we need to bring them again?

It will have taken taken 5 months but it will all be over soon.. the anticipation is gonna kill me.. another month til interview time!

05-28-10 Married!!!! <3

07-26-10 TOUCHED!!!

10-11-10 AP Touch

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

got my interview notice today! December 7th :):dance:

now i have the fun task of compiling all of our evidence.. lol!

question: we had submitted all of the employee documents, W2's, Income tax returns with the I-864... do we need to bring them again?

It will have taken taken 5 months but it will all be over soon.. the anticipation is gonna kill me.. another month til interview time!

CONGRATS!!!! :dance: :dance:

I would take everything because as we all know you NEVER know what they will ask for.. I hope this means my husband will be getting an appt. soon.. we really want to go visit his family in December, but we want the whole process to be over with before we go...

Citizenship
10/07/13 - Sent N-400
10/08/13 - Received @ 11:35 a.m. @ Lewisville Lockbox

Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.